Corsair Community

Combining TWIN2X1024-6400C4 with TWIN2X2048-6400C4

iffyh786

Hi,

Can somebody confirm if the below memory can be used together?

TWIN2X1024-6400C4

TWIN2X2048-6400C4

I have a MSI P965 Platinum Motherboard.

The reason I am asking is because I found that the TWIN2X1024-6400C4 is EPP cabale and the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 is not. Please can you confirm as I might be completely off the mark.

Thanks!

SLi EPP will not work when you populate all four DRAM slots regardless so it is a moot point. It's never advised to mix and match DRAM but you stand a good chance to get these modules to play nice together. You will very likely have to drop the DRAM throughput from 800Mhz to 667Mhz and increase your Northbridge/MCH to 1.45v.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

And if you have any questions, please post them back in this thread.

• Corsair Employees
You would just have to try it and see But I would install the new modules and go directly to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the memory frequency at DDR667 and set Command Rate to 2t and if TRC is listed set it to 24 and set the NB/SPP Voltage to 1.45 Volts and then just let the BIOS set the timings and exit saving changes and then run http://www.memtest.org on the system.

Would it be better to run 2Gig RAM @ 800Mhz or 3Gig RAM @ 667Mhz?

On an Intel system, 2GB in Dual Channel mode will outperform 3GB in Single Channel mode unless the system is running with the extra 3GB in programs. For example, utilizing more than the 2GB system in Photoshop or other programs than can want more than the 2GB, then the performance of the extra GB not needing to be paged, will outperform the paged 2GB system. However, when you run programs that do not need the extra GB (a great majority) then the system will run slower due to lowered speed and throughput.

I have installed the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 RAM.

I have disabled the DRAM timing by SPD and manually set the timings to

Dram cas latency [4]

Dram Ras to Cas Delay [4 dram clock]

Dram Ras Precharge [4 dram clock]

Dram Ras Activate prec [12 Dram Clock]

Also I have set the

Dram frequency to 800MHz

Dram Voltage to 2.10V

Compared to when I had it on default settings booting up slower and

in CPU-Z I get the memory info as attached.

Please can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

CPU-Z.jpg.e7bbdc9c5d33e15bf8d31e8daea79d7a.jpg

Apparently it is a bug with the board.

'The MSI P965 Platinum and nForce 680i SLI reference board share an anomaly where CAS timing is locked at CAS 3 even when CAS 4 has been manually selected in the BIOS.'

What timings should I set to get it stable?

Should I just set to use SPD?

Apparently it is a bug with the board.

'The MSI P965 Platinum and nForce 680i SLI reference board share an anomaly where CAS timing is locked at CAS 3 even when CAS 4 has been manually selected in the BIOS.'

What timings should I set to get it stable?

Should I just set to use SPD?

I would set it to 5-4-4-12. The frequency is correct. 400Mhz with Dual Channel Mode is 400 X 2 = 800Mhz.

EDIT:

Are you running 4 X 1024 sticks? If so, set the DRAM to 333Mhz. This will give you 667Mhz which is advised with 4 DRAM slots populated.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I have upgraded the BIOS and now the timings show up correctly.

After I upgraded the BIOS more memory settings appered.

Please let me know what I need to set them to:

DRAM TRFC 38

DRAM TWR 12

DRAM TWTR 12

DRAM TRRD 12

DRAM TRTD 12

Archived