Corsair Community

Advice on Asus P5E3 Premium

bitoud

I am building a new desktop and have an ASUS P5E3 Premium (X48) board with an Intel QX9650 processor, XFX 9800GX2 video card, Thermaltake 1200W PS, running Vista Home Premium 64. The memory is the last item I need to buy. I would like to max the memory (8 GB) with the fastest stable configuration. I will not be overclocking extensively. The memory configurator does not list the ASUS P5E3. What memory would you suggest?

I would suggest TW3X4G1600C9DHX but with 4 modules you may be restricted to DDR1333.

Can you be more specific. Does this mean you would not suggest the TW3X4G1600C9DHX? Is this because of issues that arise when filling all four slots?

Can you be more specific. Does this mean you would not suggest the TW3X4G1600C9DHX? Is this because of issues that arise when filling all four slots?

When you populate all four DRAM slots you have a different situation regardless of the DRAM you decide to use. The DRAM is a Dual Channel Kit. When you populate all four DRAM slots with two kits, you are then working the on motherboard (Intel) and on CPU (AMD) memory controller far more than with two DRAM slots populated. The memory controller (MCH/Northbridge in Intel) has to access and load with double the indexes and as such can not keep up with the full speed of the DRAM. For this reason, it is advised to drop the bandwidth of the DRAM one bin (ie. 1600Mhz to 1333, 1800Mhz to 1600Mhz, etc) to enable the memory controller to work with stability.

As well, when you are utilizing a DDR3 memory board with memory greater than the highest JEDEC standard of 1333Mhz, you will have to overclock the CPU <--> MCH <--> DRAM to reach the speeds of those higher than JEDEC Enthusiast DRAM.

To reach 1600Mhz, you need to overclock the CPU (333Mhz FSB for example) to 400Mhz. Quad Cores will take this overclock.

To reach 1800Mhz, you need to overclock the CPU (333Mhz E8500 FSB for example) to 450Mhz. Dual Cores will take this overclock.

Hello - in this thread, you mentioned running DDR3-1600 at 1333MHZ when populating all four slots. I am in the same situation with the P5E3 Deluxe and wanting to switch to Corsair DHX because of its cooling capability. What timings would you suggest of the 1600MHZ memory running at 1333 MHZ in the P5E3 series. I am running a QX6850 at 1333 FSB.

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

AI Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = X.M.P.

eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled

CPU Ratio Setting = 9

FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

FSB = 333

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1600

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 7

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 7

RAS# PRE Time = 7

RAS# ACT Time = 20

All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled

Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = 1.9v

NB Voltage = 1.45v

SB Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

Load Line Calibration = Enabled

CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Voltage Damper = Enabled

Boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes.

Download CPU-z from

Please post screenshots of your CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Archived