Corsair Community

is this combo possible

wolff

I purchased an asus P5N-E SLI and purchased ram for the picky thing and want to know if and how to make this ram work. I just purchased TWIN 2X2048-6400 C4 set and I have A pair of CM2X512A-6400 and my goal is to have a total of stable 3 gigs of ram in dual channel mode , I know that 4 gigs is cheaper but I tried 5 different windows XP and it installs windows in 20 minutes but when the screen comes up with windows XP pro with the stripe on the screen that left to right, usually 1 1/2 times on a fresh install and then goes to the welcome next never stops and never goes to the welcome screen until i pop one of the two gig sticks out. the two gig stick i am using now ia an ADATA and is working fine but it is not in dual channel mode and I need more for my recording software.Or how do I make 4 gigs work? bios #803

With that board, you would be far better off selling the two different IC kits and purchase 2 X 2048 of 6400Mhz DRAM. You will find stability very easy. The price of 2GB sticks has dropped quite low now and that will be the best route to go. If you do not want to go that way we can try a few things but it is tough on the motherboard memory controller.

don't understand? are you saying to have an amount of only 2 gigs max or 4,like I said that I need as much memory that windows xp 32 will allow me to use stable and going 64 isn't an option, the one host program I use for my vsti's doesn't even like server2003. If I could run 4 gigs then how do I get past the start up screen with all 4 gigs in it ,is there some kind of patch? I did try turning off the fast page already.

thanks ,I guess I built a peice of crap computer that I used the same vendors as my p4c800 that I am still happy with, I guess my expectations are to high.this just confirmes my suspicions about my latest failure,wanted to hear it from an expert.

You are misunderstanding some of this information.

RAM GUY is telling you that a 32bit Windows OS will not make use of 4GB and you will lose ~1GB or greater if you install 4GB.

I am telling you that if you want to install 4GB in that system, then you would be far better off with 2 X 2048MB modules which the board will accept. Your board should also accept 4 X 1024MB (identical) modules but it will take some work to get them stable. I can help you with that if you wish. I was giving you options, not telling you that you can not install 4GB. RAM GUY was informing you that you will be limited by your 32Bit OS in how much of the 4GB of memory that your OS will actually see and be able to use.

Hopefully this is clearer. :): Would you like some help in getting the 4GB in Dual Channel mode? If so, please document the exact modules you have. Both sets.

• Corsair Employees

No I don't think that at all.

Just there is more loading on the memory controller as you add more memory and the memory speed will slow down. The additional memory will have some value in that you can access more application's from memory rather than from the swap file on your HDD.

what # exactly would be a good choice if I go with the 2 gig sticks. not overclocking and dont care about losing a gig and so far from reading about this board my 3 gigs of XMS2 memory would be next to impossible to get stable. My last order of XMS2 memory was 6400 c4 but 1 gig sticks and the first order was for plain XMS2 6400 hence the confusion of #rs and I guess I will have to scrap out the xms2 512 mb ones for the inconpatibility with the motherboard and everything.

This thread is all over the place.

The OP is attempting to run 2 X 1024 of 6400C4 modules with 2 X CM2X512A-6400 which are C5 modules. It's possible, but there could very likely be problems with such an installation. Far better to go with 2 X 2048 than mess with it was my advice, although if the OP wishes to attempt to try these modules, I informed I would help with such an attempt.

Hopefully this is clearer to the OP.

well it looks like I have to at least try this combo because the rebate for the ram and I dont know anyone else to sell my extra ram to anymore.some one said loose timings and i looked in my bios and there are more settings for timings and suggestions what to set to what .I see T2 and nothing looks like that either. the timing page looks like this,

tCL

tRCD

tRP

tRAS

comand per clock

ADVANCED

tRRD

tRC

tWR

tWTR

tREF

tRD

tRFC

A SYNC Latency

The voltage page I can figure out easily enough but it starts getting cloudy with the linked unlinked fsb stuf , any sugestions would be appreciated.

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

JumperFree Configuration

AI Tuning = Manual

Overclock Options = Disabled

System Clocks

NB PCI-e Frequency (MHz) = 100

Voltage Control

Vcore Voltage = Auto

Memory Voltage = 2.1v

NB Core Voltage = 1.45

FSB & Memory Config

FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked

FSB (QDR) MHz = 266

MEM (DDR) MHz = 667

Chipset:

Memory Timing Setting

tCL = 5

tRCD = 5

tRP = 5

tRAS = 15

Command Per Clock = 2 Clocks

tRRD = Auto

tRC = 32

tWR = Auto

tWTR = Auto

tREF = Auto

tRD = 8

tRFC = 42

Async Latency = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Auto

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto

SATA Spread Spectrum = Auto

LDT Spread Spectrum = Auto

LDT Frequency = 5x

Boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes. Please post screenshots of your CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

May be a dumb question but I never took a screen shot. how or what program do I use. ton saturday I will go to my studio and try to make this ram work but will probably bring it home again. do you think there is any chance to get the memory up to 800?

well I used your settings except for the tRC (mine only went up to 31) so I left that on auto and the FSB you said 266 and my minimum was 500 so I left that on auto. It made 2 full scans without errors so I bumped it up to DDR 800 and made it 4 full passes,The extra mhz actuall shaved over 5 minutes off of the test ,and booted into windows with no problems. cant tell you how much this makes me happy.and cant thank you enough, My brother deceided to go from 3 to 4 gigs and ran into the same problem i did with staying at the screen with the stripe that goes from left to right on the screen before the blue welcome screen, he swares there is an update or patch to fix that maybe at dell or something, ever hear of such a thing? I know something exhists because that is two seperate systems of different everything that does the same thing and dell does sell an xp system with 4 gigs even though 3 are really used and theres works. working on the screen shots thing but can't remember that programs name that takes the screen shot, Is there anything else that I should switch around on the timings or do you think it is good enough, also went a little over on the voltages because motherboard didn't give me exact #rs.

well I used your settings except for the tRC (mine only went up to 31) so I left that on auto and the FSB you said 266 and my minimum was 500 so I left that on auto. It made 2 full scans without errors so I bumped it up to DDR 800 and made it 4 full passes,The extra mhz actuall shaved over 5 minutes off of the test ,and booted into windows with no problems. cant tell you how much this makes me happy.and cant thank you enough,

It's very hard to read your run on sentences. Please take some extra time and compose clearly.

If you set to 800, then you might well have long term issues that are cumulative and degenerative. These issues include blown DRAM slots, and a wonky memory controller that leads to errors in non faulty DRAM.

It's your choice, you have been advised to set to 667Mhz and have gone against that advice. Do you think we are giving you poor advice? Do you think you might be one of the few lucky ones that make the speed grade without longer term effects? Possibly, but if you end up with a blown motherboard, it was YOUR choice that did it.

no I don't think you are giving me bad advice ,I was actually expecting a post that says turn the ram down but was hoping 800 would work.... Like you said it will have long term issues and that is what I want to avoid. going to turn it back down today. and once again thankyou for your time and advice.I do value your advice becaus it is good and does work.

you cant run all dimm solts filled on a 680i board with out losening up timings and decreasing speed. The memory controller is junk on the 680i's and cant handle it (especailly the p5n32-e's because they lack the robust voltage of the striker boards and what evga fixed with A1 boards). Your best bet is to stick with 3 gigs and run them at listed speeds. You should have no probs with 3 gig and if you want can oc from there...

but was hoping 800 would work.

I understand. Running with four DRAM slots populated at the DRAM's full bore can, and more often than not does end up with motherboard (MCH/Slots) hardware issues. Running with 3 sticks will result in a loss of Dual Channel which with a Quad Core will show distinctively worse results. Your board is fine. If you want to do a bandwidth testing, give me a PM and I will walk you through a thorough test of your bandwidth so that you see the Nvidia board is not all that bad considering it is older than the newest Intel tech.

Take 667Mhz in Dual Channel Mode with four slots on a Quad Core and perform multi-media multiplexing, video rendering, compression algorithms, long instruction sets, etc.

Compare it to:

800Mhz in Single Channel Mode with 3 slots on that Quad Core and perform the same tasks.

You will see a marked difference with the improvement being on the Dual Channel 667Mhz.

Archived