Corsair Community

Best Perf. A7N8x-D, 1.5G LL or 3.0G ???

WBFAir

Hello Mr. RAM Guy. Sorry if this question is repetitive, been posted many times before or is in FAQ but in the interest of time I would just like ask a few specific questions. I have a Rev2.0 A7N8x Deluxe board that is spec for a max 3.0 gig memory and I’m running WinXP Pro for my OS. I mostly am looking for better performance for (1) MS Flight Sim and (2) for Multi-Media/Video Editing. I’m not interested running the system past “normal” equipment spec, I.E. over-clock or over-volt. OK (1) Given my performance targets in your opinion do you think I would see better overall performance from using the full 3.0 gigs of memory setup, such as with the Twinx2048-3200 + CMX1024-3200 module’s, with their CAS specs of 3-4-4-8 or with using a 1.5 gig setup, such as with the Twinx1024-3200LL + CMX512-3200LL modules, with their CAS spec’s of 2-3-2-6. In essence I guess what I’m asking is the question, which is better “More RAM w/higher CAS” or “Less RAM w/lower CAS” (2) What if any would the popular tRas 11 setting mean to the answer, could I run the 3.0 gig setup at 2-3-2-11 or at some lower level CAS setting other than 3-4-4 with a tRas 11 and get better performance than the 1.5 gig setup. I know these may be hard questions to answers given many variables but your best opinion answer would help a great deal. Thank you.

If you are serious about the video editing part, I've found that 1gb total is enough. Unless you are multitasking with other windows/tasks running while you edit (not a good idea by the way) 1gb is enough. And, keep in mind that when you add more RAM, there is extra loading on the chipset. Also, users rarely ever need more than 1gb of RAM outside of a true server environment. But, if you decide that you do need more than 1gb, I'd suggest the 2 X 1024mb modules instead of 3 X 512mb modules. 2 DIMMs should perform better than 3 generally. Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for the reply Specmike and I appreciate the insight and I get the two sticks instead of three thing but I guess I'm still wondering, which is better for performance? “More RAM w/higher CAS” or “Less RAM w/lower CAS”

[quote name='WBFAir']Thanks for the reply Specmike and I appreciate the insight and I get the two sticks instead of three thing but I guess I'm still wondering, which is better for performance? “More RAM w/higher CAS” or “Less RAM w/lower CAS”[/QUOTE] That is a raging debate among Intel users more than AMD users. But, from what I have seen on AMD based systems, go for the low latencies. It seems to be more critical on the AMD systems. IF you do need more than 1gb of RAM, I'd consider the 1024mb sticks. They will not run LL but you need stability over pure speed for your work apps. But, based on what our DV software does, I'm betting you'll be OK with 2 X 512mb. AND, under the absolute circumstances, you could consider 1 1024mb stick. Mike.

Archived