Corsair Community

CAS latency compatibility ???

wipackerfan

Hi guys, I'm new here and inexperienced when it comes to the finer workings of RAM. I have a question on the compatibility of different XMS CAS latency values. Here's the scoop: I bought a set of XMS Twin-matched 2700LLPT last May for a system I built. I love 'em! On the sticks themselves they show CAS values of 2-2-2-5, which is what it shows on Neweggs site (where I bought them). Here's the situation now: I want to buy a 512mb stick for my third empty slot to jump me to 1gig, but I can't seem to find a stick of 2700LLPT on either Corsair's site or Newegg's site that has the same CAS latency numbers. They both show the CMX512-2700LLPT with timings of 2-[B]3[/B]-2-5. But if you look [I]very[/I] closely on the Product Pic on Neweggs site it shows the timing to be 2-2-2-5. [url]http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-426&depa=0[/url] Does anyone know if they have replaced the 2-2-2-5 with the 2-3-2-5? Will I be able to run these two together without a serious loss of speed? From what I understand I can change the timings in the BIOS of my A7n8X Deluxe so they match, right?? Any help/wisdom is greatly appreciated! :biggrin: PackerFan

Alright, maybe I'm confused a little. I thought this was Corsair's support forum, or am I confused a lot? Did I post this in the wrong area? I really like my current Corsair product, and I would actually like to give more of my hard-earned money to this fine company, but I need to get an answer to my question first so I don't make a costly mistake. Maybe I mis-stated my question? Basically I have a A7N8x Deluxe with BIOS ver. 1007, my current XMS 2700LLPT (2 x 256) memory has CAS values of 2-2-2-5, and the only XMS 512mb 2700LLPT I can find on the Corsair site says it has CAS values of 2-3-2-5. I need to know if the two will be compatible. I think they will be, but I'd like to make sure before buying. Surely someone of the over 60 viewers of this post could maybe give me a simple YES or NO as to their compatibility, and if NO maybe offer a suggestion. Thanks in advance! PackerFan

Yes, it will work. However, you may have to manually adjust the RAM timings in the BIOS to 2-3-2-5, the SPD of the new stick. The IC's must have changed since you bought you RAM. You really won't notice any difference in the timings. BTW, what CPU are you using?

[quote name='CMC_SAVAGE']Yes, it will work. However, you may have to manually adjust the RAM timings in the BIOS to 2-3-2-5, the SPD of the new stick. The IC's must have changed since you bought you RAM. You really won't notice any difference in the timings. BTW, what CPU are you using?[/QUOTE] Thanks Savage, I appreciate the help. :biggrin: I'm running a Barton 2500 - stock . I found a stick from Monarch Computing that supposedly has the 2-2-2-5. I'll find out when it arrives on Tuesday. Thanks again for the input. PackerFan

Archived