Corsair Community

Need help with PSU

Soundwave27

After a long research for a suitable solid psu (and my future rig), so i found the right one i hope. Wich is a Corsair PSU. After countless good reviews (official and customer). So wich Corsair PSU should i get one that is rock solid and stable. I am planning to get a 9600GT videocard (or maybe a 8800GT not sure about that). I did a research for that to and the review told the people to have stable amps ( how much amperage on 12V rail) and (The recommended minimum power supply for GeForce 9600 GT graphics cards is 400 watts with a +12V rating of 26 Amps for a single card) And i am planning to water cool my rig cpu and vga. So what Corsair PSU should i get is 500-550 Watt enough, and should i get one psu with single or more +12V Rails? And whats the differerence between a single and more +12V rails on a psu. And what are the applications of those 2? And offcourse very efficient 80+. I am just concerned i dont want black screens and instability. I think my future rig is compatible with each other especialy the mobo cpu and RAM wich i know is tested by corsair on extreme intel mobos, like the Intel DX38BT. The only part left is i think the most important part of the system the psu.

Thanx in advance.

Here is my future rig: should last atleast 3,5-4 years.

Intel DX38BT (waiting for DX48BT)

A quad core cpu (normal not an extreme version)

Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DF,2048MB,DDR3

NVidia 9600GT or 8800GT

Western digital Raptor HD 74 GB

Western digital HD 320 GB

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound card

DVD internal drive

floppy drive...just in case (if its supported by intel mobo)

Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC TDP 25watt water pump

And 5 or 6 casefans

• Corsair Employees
I would recommend our HX520 if you want modular cables, or the VX550 if you don't mind having non-modular cables. The HX520 has 40A on the 12v rail and will support just about any single video card system. If you think you may upgrade to a dual video card set up in the future, then go with the HX620 (for modular cables) or TX650 (non-modular).

Thanx for the reply RAM guy. Il go for the HX520 PSU. Together with a 9600GT videocard. The reason i did not choose for an 8800GT (G92) is because there where some issues, if you used the HX520 PSU, "insufficient power" together with the 8800GT. Clearly there where people having this problem. I dont know wheter this is a bug in the PSU or something to do with Nvidia. And are the problems solved? Link: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64885

I still have one question....

Any way are there known problems with this PSU (HX520) together with a 9600GT? The 9600GT is based on a G94 core code. While the 8800GT is based on a G92 core code.

Thanx for the reply RAM guy. Il go for the HX520 PSU. Together with a 9600GT videocard. The reason i did not choose for an 8800GT (G92) is because there where some issues, if you used the HX520 PSU, "insufficient power" together with the 8800GT. Clearly there where people having this problem. I dont know wheter this is a bug in the PSU or something to do with Nvidia. And are the problems solved? Link: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64885

That was an nvidia issue that was finally resolved with updated drivers. Here's the thread on the EVGA forums confirming just that: http://www.evga.com/forums/fb.asp?m=277559

Several users have reported an issue on GeForce 8800 GT/GTS G92 which can cause the NVIDIA System Sentinel to display a false low power warning message, which causes the GPU to operate in low power mode, resulting in low performance or application crashes. This issue has been reported on various power supplies. NVIDIA has reproduced the issue and is working on a fix with a new version of our drivers. We will update the community promptly when a fix is available. We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration gamers may be experiencing with this issue.

Select the 169.44 drivers for your OS: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

I still have one question....

Any way are there known problems with this PSU (HX520) together with a 9600GT? The 9600GT is based on a G94 core code. While the 8800GT is based on a G92 core code.

No known issues as of yet.

• Corsair Employees
Many thanx for your reply EliteKiller for showing me the solution to this bug on 8800gt together with HX PSU's.

Just to clarify, this was not an issue that was caused by using our PSU with these cards. This was an issue with people using G92 based Nvidia cards with ANY PSU, and this issue has since been resolved due to an updated driver from Nvidia.

Yes your right the problem was mainly because of Nvidia. (I dont know if the same problem occurs with other brands of PSU's) Its good they fixed the problem with a new driver, this will hopefuly solve the problem. Anyway Il choose for the HX PSU. To many reviews and customer reviews telling people how robust and good the corsair psu's are just waiting for the new intel X48 mobo.

Yes your right the problem was mainly because of Nvidia. (I dont know if the same problem occurs with other brands of PSU's) Its good they fixed the problem with a new driver, this will hopefuly solve the problem. Anyway Il choose for the HX PSU. To many reviews and customer reviews telling people how robust and good the corsair psu's are just waiting for the new intel X48 mobo.

Yes, it occurred with many different brands, not just Corsair.

• Corsair Employees
Thats good to hear that other brands of PSU's had the same problems with g92 based videocards (8800gt for example). So in effect the HX version of PSU's are not faulty. Il say to corsair keep up the good work:):

This is true, you can read more about the problems people were having in this thread http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64885. Many users with different PSUs were having the same issue. Some people had resolved the issue by swapping PSUs, mobos, or video cards but a new driver has resolved the issue.

Archived