Corsair Community

CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX and ASUS STRIKER II FORMULA

vinc718

This is a very new board. Remove all but a single hard drive, single video card and optical drive. Insert one stick of DRAM in the system. Is your BIOS version 1.33?

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter the BIOS and set:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Auto

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual

x Overclock Options = Disabled

FSB & Memory Config

CPU Level Up = Auto

FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked

FSB (QDR), MHz = 1333

MEM (DDR), MHz = 800

Memory Timing Setting

tCL: 5

tRCD: 5

tRP: 5

tRAS: 18

Command Per Clock = 2T

Over Voltage

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

CPU VTT Voltage = Auto

Memory Voltage = 1.9v

NB Core Voltage = 1.35

SB Core Voltage = Auto

1.2V HT Voltage = Auto

Bridge Core Voltage = Auto

Boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes on the single stick.

Results?

I was tweaking settings in bios and I got it to install windows and it's all running now. I did get a freeze when I started loading steam and service pack 2 at the same time.

What are the maximum settings I can enable?

Also...

My pc is only detecting 3GB or ram out of the 4GB it i put it. Any suggestions?

I was tweaking settings in bios and I got it to install windows and it's all running now. I did get a freeze when I started loading steam and service pack 2 at the same time.

What are the maximum settings I can enable?

You need to first find full stability and then once fully stable, an overclock can be begun. You should be able to get 4Ghz on that Quad Core with the proper cooling. Are you using a stock cooler?

My pc is only detecting 3GB or ram out of the 4GB it i put it. Any suggestions?

Are you running a 32bit Operating System such as WinXP 32Bit or Vista 32bit? If so, you will lose that DRAM to the video cards and other components in the system that need addressing.

Your computer has many methods in which to use memory. There are memory storage and caches all over the motherboard. These devices contain some of the below method of storage:

* RAM

* ROM

* Cache

* Dynamic RAM

* Static RAM

* Flash memory

* Virtual memory

* Video memory

* BIOS

For example, your sound, video, keyboard, chipset caches, I/O controller (IDE, SATA, etc) caches . . . Now these device with discrete and cache RAM need to have their "Addresses" so that the computer knows where they are in order to query and access them.

Your computer also has System Resource Memory. Consider this as an index of addresses that tell the computer where everything is for access as mentioned above. The computer needs to know that a certain boundary of addresses will contain certain functions to perform when commanded.

Memory-mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs. After all the non-memory devices have had their say, there will be less than 4GB of address space available for RAM below the 4GB physical address boundary. Now a 32bit Operating system such as Windows XP 32bit and VISTA 32bit have the ability to access 2^32 bits = 4GB. Now if you had an 8800GTX with 768MB of DRAM, then that memory must be addressed in the space of the 4GB and you lose some of the system dram to the addressing. This continues with all other devices, leaving you with less than the 4GB. Since Windows can address up to 4GB, then with 3GB, there will be the 3 --> 4GB mapping so you should not lose that DRAM with 3GB unless your devices demand it. For example, as in your case, SLi with 2 X 8800GTX 768MB will certainly take away from the 3GB.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit.

I did everything you told me. I set up all those bios settings and i did the tests.

2 tests, 2 passes, 0 errors

Rebooted my machine right after this memory test and it froze on the windows xp splash screen.

Any further suggestions?

I did everything you told me. I set up all those bios settings and i did the tests.

2 tests, 2 passes, 0 errors

Rebooted my machine right after this memory test and it froze on the windows xp splash screen.

Any further suggestions?

You are having issues that are external to the DRAM. A successful Memtest isolates the DRAM from the equation.

Remove all hard drives but one. Remove one of the video cards. Retest. If problems occur, remove the first hard drive and install the second one. Retest.

Passed all tests, system is still locking up. Now it's locking up sooner then before. Idling in windows for 1 minute and it locks up. Before... I could of played cod4 for at least 5 minutes. I had the following settings before:

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1692

MEM (DDR), Mhz: 846

Vcore Voltage: 1.69v

Memory Voltage: 2.0v

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.7v

CPUVTT Voltage: 1.5v

NB Core Voltage: 1.5v

SB Core Voltage: 1.5v

1.2HT Voltage: 1.4v

CPUGTLref Voltage +40mv

I found this setting on asus forum because everyone with a qx9650 processor and the striker 2 formula is having the same problem as me. The asus tech guy told me to get a slower processor... after i spent $1300 on this one and 3 different sets of SUPPORTED ram by this motherboard.

I'm clueless as to what I should do now. Should I keep raising the voltages until the system stops freezing on me? Is that normal? It's like im overclocking my computer for an unoverclocked cpu...

Archived