Corsair Community

GA-SINXP1394 and CMS512LL and chip version question.

XilplaXim

I have a gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 MB. I purchased a CMX512-2700LL chip when I bought the motherboard (both from gamepc.com). I always planned on upgrading to 1G ram and went to great pains to make sure I was purchasing an identical RAM chip. I recently ordered a CMX512-2700LL from zipzoomfly.com (gamepc.com no longer carries that model). When I put the new chip in my computer the computer would not post. The only activity noticable was that the cd-rw's and dvd's lights would blink back and forth. I also tried removing the old chip and putting the new chip (alone) in the slot where the old chip was. I sent the chip back to zipzoomfly.com and they sent me a replacement. When I received the replacement I got the same results. This is when I noticed that there were different markings on the chips. Question marks below highlight the differences. :confused: Markings on original chip: CMX512-2700LL XMS2705v1.1 ? (whats v.1.1 voltage/version?) 0301005 ? XMS2700 512MB 333Mhz 2225-T1 ? (this is what I believed the latency was supposed to be) Marking on the new chip: CMX512-2700LL XMS2705v2.2 ? 0403024 ? XMS2700 512MB 333Mhz 2225 ? Are these the same chips? Do they have the same ratings? Can I get the new chip to work at all? Please Help. Thank you XilplaXim

• Corsair Employees
With this MB, I would suggest that you try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3". I have this same MB and it has never been able to run with any low latency module that I have tested in pairs. And set the Dim Over voltage control to +.02 volts as well

[quote name='RAM GUY']With this MB, I would suggest that you try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-3-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3". I have this same MB and it has never been able to run with any low latency module that I have tested in pairs. And set the Dim Over voltage control to +.02 volts as well[/QUOTE] :D: Thank you, Your suggestions solved my problem. Not being that knowledgable about ram and manually setting timings and what not, it took me several hours today to figure out how to carry out your instructions. Below is what I had to do, which will hopefully help somone else: First of all, my bios version was F2. I'm not sure if it was necessary but I upgraded it to the latest version, F6. The gigabyte website has great documentation on how to do this. My biggest problem was that I could not see where in the bios I could set the timings. It turns out you have to press ctrl-F1 to get to the advanced bios settings. (if anyone knows of any other handy, undocumented, things you can do in your bios feel free to let me know :) As for what to set in the bios, I made an eduacted guess based on what you told me to do and it worked. After pressing ctrl-F1... Under "Advanced Chipset Features": Configure DRAM Timing [Manual] CAS Latency Setting [2T] DRAM RAS Active Time [6T] DRAM RAS Precharge Time [3T] DRAM RAS to CAS Delay [3T] I'm not sure if that was what you meant, but it worked for me. Under "Frequency Voltage Control": DRAM Voltage Control [+0.1V] My only options for DRAM Voltage Control where [Normal] or [+0.1V]? Note: on boot it says Dual Channel disabled. I beleive this is enabled in the bios. I assume this is what you meant when you said you have never been able to run pairs of low latency ram? axi

• 7 months later...
Hello Ram Guy, I just purchase two used memory module CMX256A-3200C2 Ver.1.2. I already have 2 CMX256A-3200 Ver 1.4 installed on my GA-SINXP1394 board. Since the chipset is rated at 333 MHZ I have the setting as 3 3 3 8 at 333 MHZ. The current memory has run without problems and sees it at 333 MHZ. When the system booted it reset to 166 MHZ and booted to windows. I used Lavalays Everest and it showed the original as CMX256A=3200 but the used as CMX256A-2700LL. I rebooted the system and ran Memtest and it showed thousands of errors. I removed the used memory and reset the settings as I had before and the system booted normally. I ran Memtest and showed no errors. My question is this. Would it be acceptable to return this defective memory to Corsair for replacement or will I have to just discard it? Thanks, Boyd B.

• Corsair Employees
You are welcome to submit a RMA request, as I am not the one who would make the determination. But These 2 sets of modules may not run together on this MB. I would suggest you test them one module at a time on another MB to be sure.

Archived