Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator PC2 8500 4 x 1gB and Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus

slamdunk

Hi there,

I just bought another 2 x 1 gB of Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC8500 CAS 5-5-5-15 RAM to bring me to a total of 4 gB.

The machine refused to post with the 4 modules installed. It seems fine on 3gB.

I realise I need to manually configure the BIOS to accept the 4, but I am inexperienced at doing this.

Has anyone got the same setup as me managed to get it running reliably? If so what settings do I need to set in the BIOS? I am not really interested in overclocking - just getting the 4gB to run reliably.

Thanks!

Specs as follows:

Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS - BIOS 805 (flashing to 1002 killed m/board)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

4 x 1gB Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC8500, 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered,CAS 5-5-5-15

768Mb Asus 8800GTX

850W Coolermaster Real Power Pro RS-850-EMBA

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit

You are limited by the population of 4 DRAM banks. The memory controller can not keep up with the extra DRAM at the rated 8500 speed. You will need to drop the speed of the DRAM from 1066Mhz to 800Mhz. If you had purchased 4 X 1024MB of PC6400 (800Mhz) DRAM, then you would have had to drop to PC5300 (667MHz) DRAM, etc. 2 X 2048 will not issue this problem. This is a problem of all 4 banks being populated.

Think of it this way. If you have a small phone book, then when you go into the index to find the page where you will find the phone number you are doing so at a certain speed due to the pages of the Index. Then you have to drive through the pages to get to the number. Now if your index is twice as large and the pages twice as many, then it takes longer to access the data. Now DRAM has a Strobe and the length of the strobe is how long the rows and columns can be left open before they must be refreshed. There is not enough time for the dram to be refreshed and then accessed with 4GB at the full access speed of the DRAM. The chipsets are optimized for 2GB, not 4GB and for 2 DRAM slots, not 4 DRAM slots populated. You can overclock the FSB (and hence the Memory Controller Hub = MCH) to gain some extra bandwidth and thus access the capabilities of the DRAM since the chipset is now clocked up. Usually when you clock up the FSB and concurrently the Memory Controller Hub (MCH) you need to raise the voltages of the CPU/MCH a bit as well.

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Extreme Tweaker Screen

Multiplier = 9

FSB = 266

DRAM = Unlinked and set to 800Mhz

Memory Timing

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

CPU FSB: 266

CPU Multi: 9

DDR FSB: 800

tCL: 5

tRCD: 5

tRP: 5

tRAS: 15

Voltages

Vcore = Auto

Vdimm (DRAM Voltage) = 2.1v or 2.2v (Depending on your DRAM version. Look at the modules to see the necessary voltage)

Termination Voltage = Auto

1.2v HT: Auto

NB Vcore: 1.4v

SB Vcore: Auto

CPU VTT: Auto

Boot to the Memtest CD allowing for two full passes.

Yeh I always flash from a floppy disk and awdflash... but this time it failed to write some sectors, then froze at the end. Not sure there was anything i could have done differently!

Do you think i will be able to get 4gb running reliably? I never had any problems running 2gB...

Yeh I always flash from a floppy disk and awdflash... but this time it failed to write some sectors, then froze at the end. Not sure there was anything i could have done differently!

Do you think i will be able to get 4gb running reliably? I never had any problems running 2gB...

I would not use a floppy disk. They are now notoriously badly made. A CD with the Flash BIOS ROM or even copying the FLASH BIOS ROM to the C:\ (Root Drive) will be the best method.

I personally choose 2 X 2048 for stability. There is not the need for playing around with the voltages of the board chipset and the DRAM almost always runs at full speed. I think that you will make it with 4GB and full speed, but it will just take a bit longer.

Thanks for the all the advice. Still waiting for my board back and will try the settings you suggest.

One other thing - should "Sli-ready Memory" be enabled in the BIOS on the board? I have always had it disabled as I had ready it caused reliability problems.

Thanks for the all the advice. Still waiting for my board back and will try the settings you suggest.

One other thing - should "Sli-ready Memory" be enabled in the BIOS on the board? I have always had it disabled as I had ready it caused reliability problems.

With four modules you will not be able to set Sli-Ready Memory. This function is only enabled in a two slot population. I disable whether it is two or four slot personally, just like you do. :):

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i am having exactly the same problem with my 4 x 1024 TWIN2X2048-8500C5D G.

Filling up all 4 memory slots let`s my board hang down @ boot. Tried do use your posted settings but system won`t still boot. Using 3 modules, everything is fine. Bios sets memory to 800 MHz. SLI memory is disabled.

Flashed my bios to 1403. I am not a professional in timings for memory, that`s why i need some help.

My BIOS Settings:

AI Tuning: Manual

OC Options: Disabled

NOS: Disabled

System Clocks: PCIEX16_1,2 and 3 all on 100 MHz

SPP <-> MCP Ref Clock: Auto

FSB & Memory Config:

FSB Memory Clock Mode: I tried to set it to "unlinked", but after rebooting, it`s swapped again to "Auto"

FSB Memory ratio: Auto

FSB (QDR): Auto

Actual FSB (QDR) MHz.: tried to seti it to 800, but after rebooting with 3 mems it swapped to 1066,7

MEM (DDR): Auto

Actual MEM (DDR) MHz: 800

Memory timings:

tcl: 5

trcd: 5

trp: 5

tras: 15

Command per clock: Auto

Advanced: everything to "auto"

Over Voltage:

everything "Auto", except

Memory Voltage: 2,100V

NB Core Voltage: 1,400V

that`s all i changed in BIOS. Is something missing? something wrong?

Thank for your help

doadro

Hey there,

I ended up swapping the board for an Abit IN9-MAX.

I have 4gB running stable at 533mhz. Is this really the fastest this RAM will go? My 3dMark performance has dropped 500 points and Vista Performance RAM speed from 5.4 to 4.8 when i went from 2gB to 4gB! Hardly worth the cost of the extra RAM!

I'm afraid of cranking the RAM speed to high - will it blow them? Can I run it at 1066? Or 800?

• Corsair Employees
Is that 533Mhz or DDR533? if its running at 533 Mhz that would be DDR1066 and with 4 modules the memory scale will show less but it is not a memory bench mark run something else like Everest Home or sy-soft Sandra.

Archived