Corsair Community

Overclock w/cm2x1024-6400

Hey guys,

I have Intel e8400, ASUS p5k, 4 x 1gb above ram, Vista 64bit. I know this ram doesn't like to work at 800mhz with 4 sticks; I had to change it to 667. My question is this, the E8400 is a mad overclocker, but am I unable to get much out of it because of the ram issue. When I try to raise FSB, the ram # goes up, making it unstable. It seems to only want to work at 667. Any advice would be great!

Any workaround, fix, etc., or do I need different ram?

Your best move, with that processor would be to purchase 2 X 2048 of 8500C5. You can make an easy 4.0Ghz with that CPU and DRAM. A good cooler on the CPU and you are all set.

Thanks for the help! Bit of a bummer though.:(:

Yes, for reference though, it is not that this DRAM does not like to work in four. It is the on motherboard memory controller that has difficulty with load and access when four DRAM slots are being populated as opposed to two slots.

However, since you are overclocking, you can overclock the 667Mhz of the DRAM and very likely get your 800Mhz back, or most of it.

Please research this thread. If you have any questions regarding the information, please post here.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Archived