Corsair Community

PC starts briefly then dies!

Mike taylor

I have a PC with a HX520W PSU and a gigabyte GA-P35C motherboard, I have had a couple of occasions recently when it has failed to boot, fires up but almost straight away dies, the CPU fan on the mainboard just starts to spin up but no post or anything. Then it seems to cycle, powers up, shuts down, powers up and just keeps going like this. After a few retries it would eventually restart, but you guessed it now it refuses too. I have a psu tester and all the rails are good, except -5v which I believe is redundant now, so I am a bit suspicious that it could possibly be a mainboard problem, when I connect my PSU tester to the mainboard connector on the PSU everything else spins up fine. My concern is that the HX520W has a problem when it is loaded up, obviously the PSU tester puts no load on it. Short of swapping it out for a known good PSU is there any way I can check this?

• Corsair Employees

There are 2 possibilities. One is that the PSU is tripping the "Over Current Protection" or "Over Voltage Protection" due to an out of spec signal from the motherboard. The second possibility is that there may be a bad component in the PSU.

Before having the PSU replaced, if possible, you may want to test it in a known working system. If it gives you the same issues, we would definitely want to have it replaced, however if there are no problems in another system, you may want to RMA the board.

Edit: Also, the -5v rail was eliminated from ATX 2.0 spec, and it is not present on any of our PSUs.

Archived