Corsair Community

Can XMS and VS series be combined?

ajohn

I have an Asus P4P-800E Deluxe Motherboard and I have a TWINX2048-3200 PC-3200 2GB Kit 3-3-3-8 184pin DIMM kit installed currently. I would like to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB (max for the board). The existing model being a little pricy I came across the Value Select model VS2GBKIT400C3 PC-3200 2GB Kit 3-3-3-8 184pin DIMM. I am not doing any over-clocking or any other custom settings on the motherboard, everything is pretty much in factory settings. My question is "Will combining the two different models, XMS and Value Select can cause any compatibility issues to my system?" Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It's never a given and greatly YRMV. That is a good chipset (i865P Springdale) and it was pretty compatible with DRAM. You might be able to manually set and have them work. You are not attempting TCCD and BH5, etc. and those sticks could well play nice. The problem is that they might not, so the only way to be certain is to insert them and test them with Memtest. I would leave the two sticks in, enter the BIOS and set the DRAM voltage to 2.75, the throughput to 333MHz and the timings to 3-3-3-8, 2T. Shut down. Insert the second set of sticks and boot to the Memtest CD.

Archived