Corsair Community

I hate being A noob!!!!!

Ranger75th

I have an asus crosshair with 2 1gig sticks of 6400c 800mhz memory. I set it to 800mhz in the bios with timings of 4-4-4-12-2t at 2.1v. The bios says it's running as so. CPU-Z sys it's running at 435.67mhz and cpu/8. WHy? I thought it was supposed to be 800mhz. I was told that you can get memory frequency by (in this case) taking 800 times cpu frequency 240 divided by 200 giving me memory running at 960mhz. Was I mislead? How exactly can I get this expensive memory to run to it's full potential or is it already? Thanks for any help.:wtfman: CPU-Z also sys the max bandwith for my memory is 400mhz. how can that be if it's 800mhz memory?

I have an asus crosshair with 2 1gig sticks of 6400c 800mhz memory. I set it to 800mhz in the bios with timings of 4-4-4-12-2t at 2.1v. The bios says it's running as so. CPU-Z sys it's running at 435.67mhz and cpu/8. WHy? I thought it was supposed to be 800mhz. I was told that you can get memory frequency by (in this case) taking 800 times cpu frequency 240 divided by 200 giving me memory running at 960mhz. Was I mislead? How exactly can I get this expensive memory to run to it's full potential or is it already? Thanks for any help.:wtfman:

What CPU-Z states for the memory speed is the true I/O clock speed of the memory modules. Your memory's effective bandwidth, in this case, is about DDR2-870.

What CPU-Z states for the memory speed is the true I/O clock speed of the memory modules. Your memory's effective bandwidth, in this case, is about DDR2-870.

forgive me, but I don't get it. If it says it's running at 435.67 how is that ddr2-870? Cpu-z also says the max bandwith is 400mhz. How can that be right on an 800mhz module? Thanks for replying.

This is called DDR and it stands for "Double Data Rate" DRAM. This means the RAM's speed is doubled to produce its effective speed. Since your ram's effective speed is 800Mhz, that means the actual speed is 400Mhz. Think of effective to mean the memory clock speed and actual speed to mean the actual I/O (in and out) double data rate transfer.

For your research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

400Mhz X 2 = 800Mhz

http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/12702/ddr800-cpu-z4.gif

Archived