Corsair Community

Weird behavior and compatibility problem

Crazyman

Hi.

Before i wrote this thread i look over the net in independend sources, dig up on google, different forums and can't able to find solution or any answer for my problem.

The problem is varios 'hangs' of system on differents moments like startup windows, after startup or even if machine work propertly 2-3 days suddenly could stuck. In varios time periods like couple of minutes for couple of days. No rules without reason, It can be heavily loaded and work propetly or do nothing and same happend. All parts of the machine is new and checked for failures. No problems. Temperature of CPU, MOBO, RAM, GPU is correct. Virgin system. Tested on Windows XP Pro x86, x64, Vista Ultimate x86, x64. Same happend. Change settings in BIOS for all AUTO, try to set for MANUAL FSB, Timing, RAM Frequencies anyway all try various combinations... Same happend. Also check the XMP profiles in BIOS. Different BIOS version was tested also.

This is the specifications cousing trouble:

Asus P5E64 WS Pro

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 3GHz

2x Corsair Dominator TWIN3X 1800MHz DDR3, 2GB, DHX, XMP(Intel Extreme), L7-7-7-20

Thermaltake BigTyp 120

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB SATA2 32MB 7200RPM

WESTERN DIGITAL Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 16MB 10000RPM

GF 8800GTX/ PCI-E 768MB GDDR3 2xDVI-I

Eizo 24" LCD FlexScan S2411W

ANTEC P190 Super Advanced Miditower, Ext. ATX, 1200W PSU

ASUS AGEIA TM PhysXTM 128MB PCI

CREATIVE SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional Champion Edition

PLEXTOR DVD+-R/ RW/ DL IDE DUAL-BAYRETAIL PX-DB608AL/T3B

LOGITECH G9 Laser Mouse

LOGITECH G15 Keyboard

After i took two of memory modules away and left only 2x1024MB in Channel A_1 and Channel B_1... problem is gone. So i check the manual and QVL Asus list which is mention nothing about those type of memory modules in compatibility list. Also according the Asus manual page 2-14: *This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128MB chips or double sided x16 memory modules.* Very strange because those memory modules made up in 128MB in 8xchips which is seems to be not supported.

My question is is any posibilities to make them work propertly in 4x1024 configuration or if i change them to 2x2048 memory modules like TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN G for use only 2 memory channels on MOBO, is thise will work?

Did you mean use one of the XMP Profiles in BIOS settings?. Well i try it before.

Profile1 is set memory modules on 1801MHz and sadly but with 4x1024MB system cannot able to start at all (some errors like corrupted system file or missing .dll's), but with 2x1024MB on Channel_A1 and Channel_B1 work propertly on Profile1.

Profile2 set memory modules on 1333MHz, system is start OK with 4x1024MB but still can hang in random moments without reason, but work perfect with 2x1024MB on Channel_A1 and Channel_B1

Same situation as XMP Profile2 happend if i set AI Tweaker as Auto which mean memory modules up running on 1333MHz..

For now i set DRAM Voltage manually on 1.90V and we will see is system still stable. Keep finger crossed. :)

As you suggest i increase Voltage to 2.0, look like problem is solved. I leave machine working during the weekend with some renders, converting, downloading uprunning, no hangs for now.

So now its working on 1333MHz and 2.0 Voltage. Should we try next step and increace the frequency do 1600MHz od 1800MHz ? If you have any ideas how to make it tell me, because by setting those values in BIOS on AUTO, system can't able to start propertly.

Archived