Corsair Community

ATX2.2 and 865PE Neo2-P help

gwilsonsigep

First post for me:

Trying to upgrade video card to GECube x1950XTX AGP. This card requires 30amps on a 12v rail. Thus I need roughly a 550w power supply. I need to upgrade, but very poorly educated on desktop power requirements.

My MB model is: 865PE Neo2-P which requires a 20-pin power connector. Is is safe to use a new ATX v2.2 power supply? Also, some supply's have multiple 12v rails. This is where I have the most confusion.

New standards limit 12v rail to 18amps or so. Since I require 30 for this power-hungry card, how do I buy/install? My MB only has the 1 four-pin connector for the 12v rail. Would I only plug 1 of 3 rails (for example) and will that provide sufficient power?

2 models I cannot distinguish between: HX520 and VX550. Both say backward compatible with ATX 2.01 - but not with mine (ATX 1). I have heard a 24-20 converter is a bad idea.

For reference: one hard drive, 2 dvd/cd drives, and a floppy. X1950xtx requires a 6pin PCI-E..

• Corsair Employees
If the PSU requirement for that MB is ATX 1.03 then I am sorry we do not have a PSU that would be compatible. I know the MB spec is ATX 2.0 but you would have to check on the PSU requirement. If it is ATX 2.01 then any of our PSU's will work but if not I am sorry they will not. An easy way to tell is if the MB needs the negative -12 Volt rail then it is an older spec and will not work with the newer PSU's

I am really behind on the terminology, please excuse my ignorance. I believe the PSU requirement is ATX 1; that's what my manual says but perhaps I've made a mistake. The reply stated "I know the MB spec is ATX 2.0" - I'm not sure what that refers to or if you referenced my MB manual and verified it is ATX 2.0.

Again, recommendations state my new card should have a PSU capable of generating 30amp on the 12v rail. [Hopefully that’s even stated correctly].

What would really help is if someone can recommend a 550w corsair power source that would match my MB spec (even if older model). Here is a link where the manual can be found:

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=150&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=

I really appreciate the help - trying to learn quickly.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry we do not make a PSU for that MB. The MB spec is ATX 2.0 meaning the MB layout and the PSU requirement is ATX 1.3 P4 12 Volt which is an older spec.

I would talk to the MB maker for compatible PSU's

Archived