Corsair Community

Adding more RAM

midisam775

I have two sticks of: CMX256A-3200LLPT - Abit IC7-MAX3 - Intel P4 2.8GHz 800MHz System Bus, 512KB L2-Cache - ATI Radeon 9600 video card - M-Audio Delta 66 Sound card The two sticks have been placed in slot 1 and 3 in the motherboard. I would like to add more RAM in slot 2 and 4. Can I buy any Corsair 3200 RAM? Or are there specific things to keep in mind? The PC is being used for "Audio" purposes. Currently no overclocking is done but I might do it in the future. Thanks for your help.

I have used 2 different types+sizes of RAM in each of the 2 channels of my Asus MOBO but, I would not recommend it to someone else. I have an IC-7 MAX3 also but I have not tried different RAM configurations in it. If you buy more RAM, add 2 more sticks of the exact same stuff just to ensure the best stability. Mike.

• 2 months later...
Bottom line is, there is no guarantee from Corsair or ABIT that your system will stably run 4 sticks of OCd RAM. And, the LL RAM, even at 400mhz, is technically OCd RAM. However, your MOBO "should" run 4 sticks. With that in mind, you need to decide how much RAM you want. If you absolutely must have more than 1 gig and plan to keep the 2 x 256mb sticks of LL, you should buy more LL RAM. Mixing the latency types is not a good idea, and it may or may not run. And, the LL RAM would need to be slowed down to the latencies of the C2 RAM. If you absolutely must have 2gigs of RAM, sell or otherwise use the existing 2 X 256mb of LL RAM in another system. Then, buy the 2048mb kit of PC3200 C2. If you can use 1 gig of really fast LL RAM, again, sell or otherwise use the existing 2 X 256mb of LL RAM in another system. Then, buy the TwinX 1024mb kit of PC3200LL. Bottom line is, you will get the best overall performance from 2 sticks of RAM vs 4 sticks of RAM. So, my suggestion is to get either of the TwinX kits, 2048mb of C2 or 1024mb of LL. Also, define "audio purposes". We use our P4C800 Deluxe for DV editing using HUGE files, lots of effects, layers, heavy rendering, encoding etc. It has never "hiccupped" with 2 X 512mb of RAM. So, unless you are doing something with your system that is more intense that DV editing, 1024mb of RAM should be plenty. Good luck, Mike.

Archived