Corsair Community

A little advice?

Hi Derek,

You've been amazing helping me with my RAM. I wonder if you could help a bit with some other related specs on my new box.

Here's what I'm using:

Asus Maximus Formula board

Intel Q6600 G0 CPU

Corsair DOMINATOR PC8500, 4 sticks of 2GB

Cooling: stock (CPU fan, GPU fan, 120mm exhaust, single Corsair 3x fan box atop the 4 DIMMs)

I'm overclocking the machine, and this is the best setup I've found:

FSB: 400

North Bridge Strap: 400

CPU Mult: 8x (3200)

DRAM: 533 (1066)

But I'm curious about the voltages and temps, and frankly some of what I find elsewhere online seems suspect. Care to critique my numbers or lend your insight?

Here are my running numbers:

vCore: 1.4, went up to 1.5 under heavy load

vNorth Bridge: 1.6 stable

vDimm: 2.1 stable

Temp WDC: 31 stable

Temp South bridge: 35 stable

Temp North bridge: 43 idle, 48 loaded

Core temps: 42-46 idle, highest was 71 loaded

CPU temp: 31 idle, highest was 48 loaded

MOBO temp: 33 stable

Oh, and my board notoriously over-volts above BIOS. When I set BIOS to 2.1 for vDIMM, I get more like 2.4 or 2.5. It's set at 1.92 now and running a solid 2.1.

I tried adjusting vCPU to 1.25, 1.275, 1.280, and none of these would boot Windows. Haven't messed with North Bridge becuase I have no idea what to target (assume 1.3 is right target for CPU).

Thanks in advance!

Have you enabled Loadline Calibration? That's seems to be a high Northbridge for 3.2Ghz. I set mine to 1.4v with 2 sticks and 1.45v with 4 sticks.

Your temps are fine

Here are my running numbers:

vCore: 1.4, went up to 1.5 under heavy load

vNorth Bridge: 1.6 stable

vDimm: 2.1 stable

Temp WDC: 31 stable

Temp South bridge: 35 stable

Temp North bridge: 43 idle, 48 loaded

Core temps: 42-46 idle, highest was 71 loaded

CPU temp: 31 idle, highest was 48 loaded

MOBO temp: 33 stable

I don't know what "Load Line Calibration" is, but I'll look in the bios.

I downloaded a good stress test, and have found I just can't go at FSB 400; the CPU overheats, even when at just 7x.

So, I'm using 333/333 with memory at 1066, CPU at 9/6 with SpeedStep. It seems stable. vCore is 1.18, North Bridge at 1.31, DRAM at 2.1.

Someone turned me onto ThermalRight, and I"m looking at their heat sinks :-)

Ultra Xtreme 120 with 2 X 120mm fans. Order the two extra clips for the extra fan. Get fans that have 3-way controllers so you can set them both to medium and get cool and quiet. Antec Iceberg Tri Cools work well for this. Not the heaviest CFM but they work very well.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y251/Luke9583/DSCF0854.jpg

Will do.

It was the 120 that I was looking at. I need to measure to make sure it fits first, and I'm a little nervous about un-mounting the stock heat sink.

Curious: What sort of video cards do you run, and what are your 3DMark06 numbers?

One last thing... do you happen to know how I can find out the safe NB temp limits for my board (Formula)? CPU is 70--easily found at Intel. But I can NOT find data on my NB.

Thanks much Derek :-)

Archived