Corsair Community

Is my Twinx1024-3200XL faulted?

akypoon

Hi all,

I have a pair of Twinx1024-3200XL (@ 2-2-2-5 2.8v) memory running on an Abit NF7-S with an Athlon XP 2500+ with everything at stock speed. Recently I upgraded my DVD writer and I started to notice corrupted burns. I did a thorough examination of my system (e.g. torture test my CPU with Prime95, test the new DVD writer on a separate machine, improved cooling inside the case) and the only problem that I could find is that memtest86 v.3.4a reports error when testing the memory. I repeat the test with an earlier version of memtest86 and it produces similar results.

I am wondering if my RAM looks faulted? Is it still covered under manufacturer warranty? I have the retail receipt dated 2006. If so, can I get a RMA number please? Thanks in advance. :)

You are covered by warranty and although that product has been discontinued (Samsung TCCD's are no longer in production) you will be taken care of to the best of Corsairs ability.

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. This is the industry standard Memtest, not the one you are currently testing with. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Shut the system down. Insert one stick of DRAM in slot 1. Startup and enter your BIOS.Enter the BIOS. Set the DRAM voltage to 2.75V. Set the timings to 2-2-2-5. Set the DRAM throughput to 400Mhz.

Remove the first stick and replace it with the second stick. Retest. Repeat with one stick in slot 3. Then finally, retest with a stick populating slot 1 & 3Set the DRAM voltage to 2.75V. Set the timings to 2-2-2-5. Set the DRAM throughput to 400Mhz. Remove any and all overclock settings for the purpose of error isolation.

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Just like to clarify with you with the procedures that you described above:

1. put stick 1 into Dimm slot 1, set the voltage to 2.75v, FSB to 200Mhz and timing to 2-2-2-5. Run prescribed memtest86+ for two rounds;
  2. put stick 2 into Dimm slot 1, set the voltage to 2.75v, FSB to 200Mhz and timing to 2-2-2-5. Run prescribed memtest86+ for two rounds;
  3. put stick 1 into Dimm slot 3, set the voltage to 2.75v, FSB to 200Mhz and timing to 2-2-2-5. Run prescribed memtest86+ for two rounds;
  4. put sticks 1 and 2 into dimm slots 1 and 3, set the voltage to 2.75v, timing to 2-2-2-5 and reset the CPU to stock speed (which runs at FSB166 x 11). Run prescribed memtest86+ for two rounds;
  5. report results.

Is it ok if I use 2.8v instead? Since the motherboard BIOS only allows me to adjust the Dimm voltage by increment of 0.1v. Thanks for your help.

Archived