Corsair Community

Temperature Issue?

GhostDog

Hi all, Gents! My wife was tired of having a jet propelled PC under the desk, so she had decided to buy me a wonderful bithday present: Hydrocool 200 Ex!! It was a very easy setup and I'm very satisfied with it, but I still have a couple of questions: 1- since I live in Italy, it could be difficult to find the coolant addictive from Corsair: do you know of online shop delivering to good ol' Europe? 2- I've a P4 3.0 C@3525, 1.575 v. Temps are usually 38°/39° C (via ABITEQ), 44°/45° under heavy load (prime 95, torture test with max heat production); room temp are (not sure) around 22° C. Hydro temp are around 28/29.5 C°, in normal mode (no turbo). I've used the thermal compund included with Hydrocool. Do you think that temps are normal? Should I use Arctic Silver 5, trying to cut down temps a little bit? I'm quite worried for summer, you know, they say Italy it's the land of sun, but I'd like to keep my rig cool n' overclocked even in august :D: :D: !! Thanks in advance for your help & feedback!! Andrea

[quote name='GhostDog']Hi all, Gents! My wife was tired of having a jet propelled PC under the desk, so she had decided to buy me a wonderful bithday present: Hydrocool 200 Ex!! It was a very easy setup and I'm very satisfied with it, but I still have a couple of questions: 1- since I live in Italy, it could be difficult to find the coolant addictive from Corsair: do you know of online shop delivering to good ol' Europe? 2- I've a P4 3.0 C@3525, 1.575 v. Temps are usually 38°/39° C (via ABITEQ), 44°/45° under heavy load (prime 95, torture test with max heat production); room temp are (not sure) around 22° C. Hydro temp are around 28/29.5 C°, in normal mode (no turbo). I've used the thermal compund included with Hydrocool. Do you think that temps are normal? Should I use Arctic Silver 5, trying to cut down temps a little bit? I'm quite worried for summer, you know, they say Italy it's the land of sun, but I'd like to keep my rig cool n' overclocked even in august :D: :D: !! Thanks in advance for your help & feedback!! Andrea[/QUOTE] Anyone?? A.

They seem to be just a little high to me, but you have a big OC on your rig and you're running a Intel CPU so I'm not 100% sure. My max temp so far has been 40C and that's with a room temp of 27C, it's getting pretty warm here already and my computer room gets full afternoon sun. If I were you, I'd get some Arctic Silver of some sort 3 or 5, I'm using 3 cause that's what I already had and I'm to cheap to get new when the old stuff is still good. AS 5 would lower your temps a few degrees I think, but that's just MHO........ :D:

[quote name='Bio-Hazard']They seem to be just a little high to me, but you have a big OC on your rig and you're running a Intel CPU so I'm not 100% sure. My max temp so far has been 40C and that's with a room temp of 27C, it's getting pretty warm here already and my computer room gets full afternoon sun. If I were you, I'd get some Arctic Silver of some sort 3 or 5, I'm using 3 cause that's what I already had and I'm to cheap to get new when the old stuff is still good. AS 5 would lower your temps a few degrees I think, but that's just MHO........ :D:[/QUOTE] Thanks Bio, right now I've 42 c°, under load (SETI), with my p4 3.0@3.60, 1.625 vcore. Water temp is 25.5 c°. My room window is open and outside prob we have 8/10 c° (northern italy, here). I've just bought Arctic Silver 5, and I'll try it asap. But I don't think it could lower my temps to what I see it's the average, here on this board, around 35 c°. Maybe be it's my overclock, but even at stock speed, temps are above the 40s under load. I did not cut the hoses, and they're at the "stock" lenght; could this help to raise my temps? Thanks for help! Andrea

when u apply artic silver, pay attention to how well it was seated and ensure when u put back on cpu, that its seated flush and has good contact. those temps you r posting? where r u getting them from, BIOS, software program, .... makes a big difference cause all programs usually report different temps

[quote name='GhostDog'] ... I've used the thermal compund included with Hydrocool. Do you think that temps are normal? Should I use Arctic Silver 5, trying to cut down temps a little bit? I'm quite worried for summer, you know, they say Italy it's the land of sun, but I'd like to keep my rig cool n' overclocked even in august :D: :D: !! Thanks in advance for your help & feedback!! Andrea[/QUOTE] GhostDog, When you mentioned that you had used the thermal compound included with the HC EX, did you use all of it, or did you put it on sparingly? The reason I ask, is that those who have placed it on sparingly, with such a thin spread, they are seeing higher temps from the HC unit vs using all of the Shin-Estu MicroSi thermal paste. The AS 5 will spread nicer but take a little while longer for it to set-up. Remember, the cold-block is micro-channeled, so don't go too thin on the paste! :o: The coolant is propylene glycol. Most automotive stores should carry this. Seeing that Europe is slanted heavily on the environment, this should be easy to find. Or, check out Class A or Class C motorhome RV camping centers for the coolant. :biggrin: Here in North America, we use Sierra. Stev

[quote name='stev']GhostDog, When you mentioned that you had used the thermal compound included with the HC EX, did you use all of it, or did you put it on sparingly? The reason I ask, is that those who have placed it on sparingly, with such a thin spread, they are seeing higher temps from the HC unit vs using all of the Shin-Estu MicroSi thermal paste. The AS 5 will spread nicer but take a little while longer for it to set-up. Remember, the cold-block is micro-channeled, so don't go too thin on the paste! :o: The coolant is propylene glycol. Most automotive stores should carry this. Seeing that Europe is slanted heavily on the environment, this should be easy to find. Or, check out Class A or Class C motorhome RV camping centers for the coolant. :biggrin: Here in North America, we use Sierra. Stev[/QUOTE] Hi All and thanks for reply! Stev, I did not use all of the included compound; I put on the cpu a small amount, 2 grain of rice size. Do you think it could be better to clean all and use ArcticSilver 5? Anyway I could be satisfied with my temp (after all I've got a pretty 600 mhz overclock..not too bad!), but since I read posts here with temps a lot lower than mine, well you know what envy is? :evil: Voodoo, here I've an Abit IC7MAX3, and the temps are taken via ABIT EQ or SpeedFan and they're the same, regardless of the software. Thanks, Andrea

There have/were many posts similiar to yours when the H200 first came out. 9 months ago the consensis was that Shin-Estu MicroSi thermal paste that comes with the H200 was superior to Artic Silver - but thicker/harder to apply. Therefor users were putting too much and hench creating an insulation barrier more than a thermal bond. Artic Silver would have the same results if applied too thick. Those that received temps similiar to yours removed the block cleaned and reapplied the thermal paste and turned in fairly good results. The quatity of paste that came with my H200 gave me enought to: 1. Apply sparingly to the cpu in a thin covering with a credit card. After seating the cool block I then removed it to check the base of the block for signes of a 100% contact with the cpu, it did. 2. I then cleaned the cpu and reapplied the paste again, (approx 1-2 grains of rice size) and still have a little paste left - but not quite enough to do a third time I'm sure. My temps in a room @20-22c averages 29-30c @ idle and 36-38c @ load for 4 hours using ASUS Probe & 26c & 34c on the H200 display respectively. I have a VCore of 1.675. Artic Silver is good, and I believe if you reseat your block with a this layer of whichever paste you will find your temperatures more with the norm. Just remember, the paste is merely there to create a bond between the cpu and water block by filling in inperfections between the two. More is not always better, every amount over ideal will have the same impact if not worse than that same amount under ideal quantity of paste. Hey, just my 2 cents worth :roll: Best of luck to ya!

[quote name='GhostDog']Hi All and thanks for reply! Stev, I did not use all of the included compound; I put on the cpu a small amount, 2 grain of rice size. Do you think it could be better to clean all and use ArcticSilver 5? ... Thanks, Andrea[/QUOTE] GhostDog, Yes, I would recommend cleaning the compound off and then re-apply the thermal grease. :p: Remember, AS 5 is NOT non-conductive, use it at your own risk. Here is a quote by M. C. Misiolek - 3/1/04 from OverClockers.com "Most epoxy-based adhesives, including Arctic Silver thermal adhesive, will conduct, or even hold, a small charge. A glob of epoxy on your motherboard could act like a "capacitor", if it makes contact across a circuit, changing its value. I used a "non-conductive" thermal adhesive." :bigeyes: The thermal grease (adhesive) supplied by Corsair is Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-765 or better of 0.35 grams of fomulated organopolysiloxane mixture. Both Intel and AMD use this in nearly all their OEM applications. So what if you are one or two degrees difference, you keep you MOBO and other components safe from harm and your pocketbook $$$ dollar happy. ;): The thermal paste can be found in many places. I had just seen this offered on SystemCooling.com under the For Sale/Swap forum. :p: So, as not to void your MOBO warranty, play it safe in water-cooling! Corsair will not be responsible if the end-user deviates from the supplied or recommended components for use. Hope this helps you with understanding to achieve better temps with the HydroCool. :D: Enjoy! Stev

Archived