Corsair Community

Memory troubles...please help

crush3r

I just built a new system, which I planned on overclocking. I decided to first load the fail-safe bios settings and run Prime95 to get some baseline numbers. I ran the small-fft test for a few hours and did not get any errors. Then, I ran the blend test, and I cannot get past 5 minutes without failing. (Keep getting FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" ).

Afterwards, I ran Memtest and kept getting errors towards the end of test #5 (The Error Bits were always 00008000).

I havent seen any problems yet with Windows. So far I've ran Firefox and Team Fortress 2 without any errors. But it still annoys me that Memtest and Prime95 will not pass.

CoreTemp shows my idling at about 25 C. With Prime Running, I top out at about 40-45 C before it fails

I've been adjusting the bios settings all day. I've increased the DDR2 voltage to +.1V (Memory is rated for 1.9V). I've lowered the memory multiplier multiple times to 2 (so its 1:1). I've lowered all memory timings a hair, and I still cannot get Memtest and/or Prime95 (blend test) to pass with out any errors.

Any help is appreciated

Please enter Here and set down your hardware components being as specific as possible.

Download memtest from--->

You are using 2 sticks of 6400?

Shut the system down. Remove the first stick and replace it with the second stick. Retest. Repeat with one stick in slot 3. Then finally, retest with a stick populating slot 1 & 3. Set the DRAM voltage to 2.0V. Set the timings to 5-5-5-15 2T. Set the DRAM throughput to 800Mhz. Remove any and all overclock settings for the purpose of error isolation.

I went through and tested both sticks separately in each memory slot.

One stick only gave me errors during test #6.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6522/stick47redsmallei3.jpg

The other stick gave me errors during test #5 and a couple during test #6 as well

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1930/stick46redsmallwr8.jpg

After a few days of testing, I think I was finally able to determine that the memory is bad and needs to be RMA'd.

I was able to get one stick stable at 6-6-6-18 @ 1.9V with memory multiplier of 2 (for DDR2-400).

I ran it through 2 passes of memtest without error and then was able to run a Prime95 blend test for 2+ hours without error.

Afterward, I bumped up the multiplier to 3.33 (for DDR2-667) and the errors immediately returned in memtest.

I have two more questions...can I still get them RMA'd even though I was foolish and mailed in the upc with a rebate already? Also, how long does it usually take for an RMA to be processed? Is it a 3-5 business day job or more like 4-6 weeks?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the exact bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with F7 Bios

CPU was 10 x 200MHz FSB = 2.0GHz

CIA2: Disabled

Performance Enhance: Standard

Memory Multiplier (SPD): I set this to 2, 3.3, and 4 (for 400, 667, and 800)

All voltages were Normal except DDR2 which I set to +.1V

All timings I were set to auto except the ones I changed. I tried 5-5-5-18, 5-6-6-18, and 6-6-6-18

I got the one stick to pass memtest at 6-6-6-18 @ 1.9V with memory multiplier of 2. Any other settings and it would get errors on test 6.

The other stick always had errors on test 5 no matter what settings I used.

• Corsair Employees

I would recommend the following, please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 1.9 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-12 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

If you decide you would like to have them replaced, then please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived