Corsair Community

Comparison

Royalist

I am upgrading my computer to work on large picture files i.e approx 25Mbs each. The present memory is 2 x 512mbs and I want to upgrade to a total of 4Gbs or there-abouts.

RamGuys have recommended TWIN2x2048-5400C4, but I can only find that in 2 x 1Gb. I have found Twin2X4096-6400C5 G. This appears on the compatibilty list that Ramguys have provided except for the G suffix. The present memory is only 675 Mhz and the new would 800Mhz. Does anyone please know what dangers could arise. I would not want to make an expensive mistake. This I believe could result in overclocking, about which I am only just learning. It sounds quite a dicey thing to do.

Thanks to you all

:(:

What P4 are you using in this system?

Your board supports 533 and 667Mhz DRAM. The problem can arise if you try and set 2GB sticks in the board. You can gain a higher throughput via the overclock and gain 800Mhz on the DRAM though. Keep in mind, that when you populate four DRAM slots, you will need to drop the DRAM throughput one bin. So 800Mhz DRAM in four slots will need to be set to 667Mhz. Thus 4 X 1024 should work on this board. You will also very likely have to increase the voltage to your Memory Controller Hub (Northbridge/MCH) to ~1.4V.

Also keep in mind that you will not gain 4GB on a 32Bit Operating system. To see and address the entire 4GB, you would have to move to an 64bit OS. You will, very likely gain anywhere from 2.7GB - 3.5GB depending on your system hardware memory addressing requirements.

Thanks for your reply Derek,

The chipset is apparently a 945P/ICH7 Express.

I do NOT want to go for the 2 x 1 Gb option, or to mix memory modules. I do not intend to populate four slots, only two, one in each channel.

What I would like to do is to replace all memory modules with a Twin2X4096-6400C5 G kit which I understand will effectively be something less than 4GB overall.

I do need my concerns answered regarding the "G" suffix and the overclocking dangers of running at 800Mhz when previously it was 675Mhz.

Thanks for your help

What P4 are you using in this system?

Your board supports 533 and 667Mhz DRAM. The problem can arise if you try and set 2GB sticks in the board. You can gain a higher throughput via the overclock and gain 800Mhz on the DRAM though. Keep in mind, that when you populate four DRAM slots, you will need to drop the DRAM throughput one bin. So 800Mhz DRAM in four slots will need to be set to 667Mhz. Thus 4 X 1024 should work on this board. You will also very likely have to increase the voltage to your Memory Controller Hub (Northbridge/MCH) to ~1.4V.

Also keep in mind that you will not gain 4GB on a 32Bit Operating system. To see and address the entire 4GB, you would have to move to an 64bit OS. You will, very likely gain anywhere from 2.7GB - 3.5GB depending on your system hardware memory addressing requirements.

Thanks for your reply Derek,

The chipset is apparently a 945P/ICH7 Express.

I do NOT want to go for the 2 x 1 Gb option, or to mix memory modules. I do not intend to populate four slots, only two, one in each channel.

What I would like to do is to replace all memory modules with a Twin2X4096-6400C5 G kit which I understand will effectively be something less than 4GB overall.

I do need my concerns answered regarding the "G" suffix and the overclocking dangers of running at 800Mhz when previously it was 675Mhz.

Thanks for your help

You have your answer if you look to Wire's response. Please read the thread, your concerns have all been answered. The DRAM should drop to 667MHz as it is not supported by the chipset. You are very likely better of not overclockng your system if you are worried about it and you should be posting in the compatibility section.

As I said, I am not certain how well your board and CPU will respond to 800Mhz DRAM. For certain, it will not run at 800Mhz without overclocking and if you are worried about overclocking, then you need to research to decide whether this is the route to take or not. Some components do not do well when overclocked, so it is always a YRMV type of thing. I will not advise you to do it, because if I do, and you run into issues, then the game of blame begins.

I personally think you are in the wrong section of this forum. You would (in my opinion) be better off in the compatibility section, speaking with RAM GUY. He does not enter this section very often. Corsair does not, of course, support overclocking.

I personally think you are in the wrong section of this forum. You would (in my opinion) be better off in the compatibility section, speaking with RAM GUY.
Agreed. I have moved this thread to the Compatibility area.

I think you refer to Wired's comment on the "G" suffix, as I can find no other response from him in this thread.

Thanks very much for all your comments. Much appreciated!

I did in fact post orginally in both the Enthusiasts and Compatibility sections, but the compatibility section post was removed.

You have your answer if you look to Wire's response. Please read the thread, your concerns have all been answered. The DRAM should drop to 667MHz as it is not supported by the chipset. You are very likely better of not overclockng your system if you are worried about it and you should be posting in the compatibility section.

As I said, I am not certain how well your board and CPU will respond to 800Mhz DRAM. For certain, it will not run at 800Mhz without overclocking and if you are worried about overclocking, then you need to research to decide whether this is the route to take or not. Some components do not do well when overclocked, so it is always a YRMV type of thing. I will not advise you to do it, because if I do, and you run into issues, then the game of blame begins.

I personally think you are in the wrong section of this forum. You would (in my opinion) be better off in the compatibility section, speaking with RAM GUY. He does not enter this section very often. Corsair does not, of course, support overclocking.

Archived