Corsair Community

two Twin2X2048-6400. 4gigs wont boot on vista 32x.

Ataraxis

so i have two sets of the twin2x2048-6400 and the pc specs are Asus P5N-E SLI with intel core 2 quad 2.4ghz. just put the pc together, had two gigs of ram at first, ran great with the vista i have. Went back to get 2 more gigs of ram, sense this motherboard supports 4 gigs total and the pc wont boot windows vista. Im sure this has been posted before but hey im a noob. So im sorry. Lastly, the dude at the electronics store said i can do it with the vista i have, its just windows will only read it as being 3.0-3.5gigs of ram. Suggestions? Thanks

When you populate all four DRAM banks you will very likely need to drop your bandwidth to allow the memory controller to be able to access and load the now doubled slots. For 800Mhz (PC6400Mhz) DRAM, you will very likely need to drop to 667Mhz with 5-5-5-15, set your DRAM voltage to ~2.1V. and also might well have to raise the voltage on the Northbridge (MCP) to ~1.4v. Two slots populated will not cause this issue. Research this thread and if you have any questions that the thread does not answer, please post them in here.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Advanced:

JumperFree Configuration

AI Tuning = Manual

Overclock Options = Disabled

System Clocks

NB PCI-e Frequency (MHz) = 100

Voltage Control

Vcore Voltage = Auto

Memory Voltage = 2.013v

NB Core Voltage = 1.393

FSB & Memory Config

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

CPU FSB: 266

CPU Multi: 9

DDR FSB: 667

Chipset:

Memory Timing Setting

tCL = 5

tRCD = 5

tRP = 5

tRAS = 18

Command Per Clock = 2 Clocks

tRRD = Auto

tRC = Auto

tWR = Auto

tWTR = Auto

tREF = Auto

tRD = Auto

tRFC = Auto

Async Latency = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Auto

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto

SATA Spread Spectrum = Auto

LDT Spread Spectrum = Auto

LDT Frequency = 5x

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

Thanks very much for the follow up, and my apologies for the late response. I did orignally have just two 1 gig sticks on my mobo, in slots A-1 and A2, then across the way on the other 2 ports i put in another 2 gigs of DDR2 on B-1 and B-2. I went into bios and set at 5-5-5-15, DDR FSB at 667, mem voltage at 2.013v and NBcore voltage at 1.393. The pc unfortunately didnt even get to windows, it just went to the screen asking to start windows normally then it just went blank. the CPU fsb doesnt need to be messed with does it? its around 1k didnt catch the exact, and cant go below 500 as it states in my bios booklet. Any other tips would be helpful. Thanks much. :sunglasse

Both sets contain each stick being Cm2x1024-6400 DDR2. Theres sets of numbers on each stick that are different, ill list those. Hope this helps, thx,

stick 1- 3658952 08010054

stick 2- 3658953 08010054

stick 3- 3972054 08030193

stick 4- 3972066 08030193

Some boards will just not work well with four DRAM slots populated. For those people, rather than move to frustration, it is far better to sell the four sticks and move to 2 X 2048.

Those BIOS settings should work with that board.

sounds like a better idea. I currently have two sets of 2x 2048 , but your meaning each stick individually 2048 a piece? I have one question on the bios settings you gave me, you suggested 5-5-5-15, then below that paragraph theres a post on advanced:, stating 5-5-5-18. Lastly, CPU FSB shows as 266 on that list. Bios indicates it cant go below 500. I just want to make sure im doing it 100% right before i trade out the 4 sticks. Thanks for your time and help

sounds like a better idea. I currently have two sets of 2x 2048 , but your meaning each stick individually 2048 a piece? I have one question on the bios settings you gave me, you suggested 5-5-5-15, then below that paragraph theres a post on advanced:, stating 5-5-5-18. Lastly, CPU FSB shows as 266 on that list. Bios indicates it cant go below 500. I just want to make sure im doing it 100% right before i trade out the 4 sticks. Thanks for your time and help

You can set to 5-5-5-18 which is the JEDEC standard. 5-5-5-15 will also work for that DRAM. Since the FSB can not drop, this means the board BIOS is showing the multiplied unit 266 X 4 (QDR) = 1066Mhz. Rather than set manually, just place this setting to Auto.

Thanks for the follow up's, its much appreciated. I will give it a try and see what happens. It does sound easier to just go out and get two 2 gig sticks, taking up only the 2 slots. Not many problems doing it that way with vista 32x? thanks again.

Thanks for the follow up's, its much appreciated. I will give it a try and see what happens. It does sound easier to just go out and get two 2 gig sticks, taking up only the 2 slots. Not many problems doing it that way with vista 32x? thanks again.

The comparison with regards to problems populating 4 slots vs 2 slots shows a marked improvement with 2 slots populated. You do not need to tweak and hope. You do not need to drop bandwidth and hope. You pretty much have to install and run. You would do well with the JEDEC standard 800Mhz 2 X 2048 sticks such as Twin2X4096-6400C5DHX modules. Vista 32bit will not see all of the 4GB though. This is because the 32bit OS can only address 4GB and all the memory in the computer (video/sound/caches, etc) need to use that space as well. Often you end up with ~2.7GB - 3.2GB on VISTA 32.

That answers all of my questions man, i really appreciate it. Im going to trade out the 4 sticks i have and just get two 2 gig sticks, i understand bios would show the 4, and vista 32x only showing the range you specified, which is fine, its still an improvement. Thanks again for all your help. Take care:sunglasse

That answers all of my questions man, i really appreciate it. Im going to trade out the 4 sticks i have and just get two 2 gig sticks, i understand bios would show the 4, and vista 32x only showing the range you specified, which is fine, its still an improvement. Thanks again for all your help. Take care:sunglasse

You're very welcome. I am running with 2 X 2048 in my server and it shows 3.2GB. With everything running in my system, that still leaves me with ~2.5GB and my server has an 8800GT 512 as does yours. Let us know how it goes :D:

Archived