Corsair Community

Memory related issues

A while back while playing Call of Duty 4, my computer decided to shut down completely and on reboot would not load past the windows screen (it kept blue screening on me), even when I went to reformat with the Window CD it blue screened on that as well. I deduced it was a memory problem, and sure enough after removing a faulty stick, it booted up fine.

That was problem #1, the computer won't boot up with that stick in any socket or alone, so I'm assuming it's dead completely.

The problems didn't end though, after a while I still get blue screens and games still decide to freeze on me, so I decided to download memtest 86+ to check and see if any more sticks were bad (I only had 2 in at the moment, before I was running 4 with windows 32 bit, yes I know it only recognizes 2.8 gigs). Memtest, within 50% of the test, found 19+ problems with only two of my sticks of memory. I bought these 1024 memory sticks in separate packages which would mean that both packages at this moment had at least one faulty stick in them.

What do I do now? Do I RMA these things back to you guys and perhaps get another set of them and how do I know those will be even better? Or are there other tests that I could possibly run or settings that I should check?

I bought these in December 2007 off of Tigerdirect, they're not even three months old and it only took a month for one stick to blow out completely.

I'm not sure how to do this as I've always used corsair and never received bad memory before, it's all quite confusing.

Up to date BIOS drivers.

Voltage is set to 2.1.

And timing is set to the appropriate settings.

Nothing has or is over clocked and everything is within 3 months old.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

The EVGA 680i motherboard is known to overvolt DRAM.

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/133686-evga-680i-sli-board-killing-ram.html

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=267670

As well, if you are running all four sticks at full speed, then issues arise more often than not. It is advised to drop the bandwidth ie 6400 (800Mhz) to 5300 (667Mhz) if you populate four DRAM slots. This is across the board (no pun intended) with both AMD and Intel chipsets for AMD and Intel motherboards. The on CPU (AMD) memory controller and on Motherboard (Intel) memory controller has a hard time keeping up with the full speed of the DRAM when populating four DRAM slots. One way to deal with this issue, is to overclock the CPU thus overclocking the memory controller and allowing for a faster throughput. The DRAM is, of course, capable of running at that speed if the memory controller is up to the task. The newest chipsets are becoming better (X38 and 790i) at running full speed with four DRAM slots populated.

Regarding RMA. You are fully covered by Corsairs Lifetime DRAM warranty and can speak with RAM GUY with regards to RMA. I personally advise that you follow the instructions for the future with the new DRAM or you could find yourself in the same situation. This is regardless of the manufacturing company. Sell the Corsair DRAM, buy four sticks of another companies DRAM and you will find the same issue repeating. There are only a few DRAM manufacturing companies. For example, the top end DRAM of all companies have Micron ICs. One company manufactures the chips. The mid end DRAM is manufactured by Elpida, PCS, Qimonda and all companies use these chips. So the difference is the hand-picking that some companies do (Corsair) and the volume purchasing of binned chips that many other companies do but in the end result the chips of each part are manufactured on the same FAB line.

So, for the future, with the RMA'd modules, please come back here and we will help you with whatever you wish. Stock stability with a drop of bandwidth or an overclock to regain some if not all of the lost bandwidth with the drop.

Please read this thread. It will help you with understanding this issue of four DRAM banks populated.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The EVGA 680i motherboard is known to overvolt DRAM.

http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/133686-evga-680i-sli-board-killing-ram.html

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=267670

As well, if you are running all four sticks at full speed, then issues arise more often than not. It is advised to drop the bandwidth ie 6400 (800Mhz) to 5300 (667Mhz) if you populate four DRAM slots. This is across the board (no pun intended) with both AMD and Intel chipsets for AMD and Intel motherboards. The on CPU (AMD) memory controller and on Motherboard (Intel) memory controller has a hard time keeping up with the full speed of the DRAM when populating four DRAM slots. One way to deal with this issue, is to overclock the CPU thus overclocking the memory controller and allowing for a faster throughput. The DRAM is, of course, capable of running at that speed if the memory controller is up to the task. The newest chipsets are becoming better (X38 and 790i) at running full speed with four DRAM slots populated.

Regarding RMA. You are fully covered by Corsairs Lifetime DRAM warranty and can speak with RAM GUY with regards to RMA. I personally advise that you follow the instructions for the future with the new DRAM or you could find yourself in the same situation. This is regardless of the manufacturing company. Sell the Corsair DRAM, buy four sticks of another companies DRAM and you will find the same issue repeating. There are only a few DRAM manufacturing companies. For example, the top end DRAM of all companies have Micron ICs. One company manufactures the chips. The mid end DRAM is manufactured by Elpida, PCS, Qimonda and all companies use these chips. So the difference is the hand-picking that some companies do (Corsair) and the volume purchasing of binned chips that many other companies do but in the end result the chips of each part are manufactured on the same FAB line.

So, for the future, with the RMA'd modules, please come back here and we will help you with whatever you wish. Stock stability with a drop of bandwidth or an overclock to regain some if not all of the lost bandwidth with the drop.

Please read this thread. It will help you with understanding this issue of four DRAM banks populated.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

I'm currently only running two sticks of memory since 3 disables the dual channel and one of mine doesn't work so four isn't an option anymore. I still get blue screens and reboots, not sure if it's the motherboard though even after reading all those horrible things about it :(. Thanks for the information though, I appreciate it! I'll look into it further from here.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

If one passes and the other fails, in the same configuration, then lets get the set replaced! Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Archived