Corsair Community

Are Copper Heatspreaders worth it?

[quote name='RAM GUY']Heat spreaders will move the heat away from the IC's and into the heat spreader. Air flow is the critical component of cooling with heat spreaders. The cooling is there, just minimal.[/QUOTE] I agree. But, the way they come out of the box is probably not optimal to ahieve a difference, and actually can and may be counterproductive at times.

I also think the heatspreaders are not designed properly. Some of the copper ones from other manufacturers have a 2-3 mm gap at the top where the halves meet. No way air will flow into such a narrow gap. Best bet is to get the air to flow smoothly over the outer plane of the heatsink. What you want is the ovalized shape of an airplane wing here, very similar to Corsair's aluminum spreaders. Last I heard, NASCAR forged cranks had this 'airplane wing' leading edge, to reduce oil slinging at high rpm with the crank spinning. As far as I know, only the aftermarket Thermaltake heat spreaders have this profile when installed, next to Corsair's. Maybe it won't make a big diff, but it helps.

Archived