Corsair Community

Mix ram question

apachehavok

Hey guys. Just wanted to know how this would work.

I have 2X 1GB 1066 DDR2 Dominators and the 3ghz 6850 Core 2 duo on an asus p5b

I have the memory running at 1066 so it forces a slight overclock bringing the processor to 3.2ghz. THis is running stable as ever :)

My question is this. I have an extra pair for XMS 2 DDR800 memory and wanted to add them to the system. Is it OK to overclock these modules to 1066 or is that pushing it.

THanks

Thanks for the prompt response. I wont even try it then. If I was to get another identical pair for the DDR2 1066 dominators you saying chances are with 4 sticks in it will force it to 667?

Thanks sir

It's very likely you would not be able to run 4 modules at 1066 due to the load on the memory controller. Some boards can do it, others can't and it requires an increase in voltage to the memory controller.

Even if its the native corsair 1066mhz without overclocking the memory?? Weird. THanks for the heads up though. If I did order another pair of the exact same memory to up it to 4gb, how would you suggest I start testing it. Is it a chance it wont even post with 4 in there? And how would I increase the voltage on the memory controller. I have my Voltage set manually for the ram and everything is running fine right now. I just want to up to 4GB.

Move to 2 X 2048 of 8500C5DHX and you will be able to run with 1066 easily. You will not have to force your chipset either.

Derek has the best idea and especially since memory is so cheap right now. Also with 4 modules, the problem is the sheer load on the memory controller which is why a 2 x 2gb kit is a better idea.

Archived