Corsair Community

2X TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN, QX9650, Asus Maximus Extreme, How to get run stable No OC!?

IzeB

I moved this thread from Compability to Enthusiasts Only.

Hi there, especially DerekT who directed me the right Topic!

I'm totally new to OC, allthough I don't intend to OC, the things I read about my config, is that I will have to at least clock the MB, as auto in Extreme Tweaker won't work. And that's what I've experienced so far too.

Could someone be kind enough to post a complete list, by using the actual lines used in Maximus Extreme BIOS, cuz all akronyms and short words is to new for me, over some possibly working stable settings. I have giving up getting the the memorys running at 1800mhz obviously.

So should i go for 1066, 1333 or 1600 mhz? Stabilty is my first concern, speed would be good to of course, but mainly stabilty.

Whatever speed is considered, I would be very greatful for the COMPLETE maximus extreme tweaker settings, voltage mhz and all other stuff.

Allthough I'm new to OC I'm not new to building computers, just never had to work so hard to get a rig up and going, but hey... learning new stuff is fun, but now, I've hit a wall, and there are so many opinions on these settings.

Eagely waiting for a kind souls reply ;)

Don't know about the kind soul. Perhaps I'll do in a pinch though. :p:

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Download Core Temp-->

Enter Your BIOS and set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

AI Overclock = Manual

CPU Ratio Control = 7.0

FSB Frequency = 450 MHz

PCIE Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1800

DRAM Command Rate = 2T

DRAM Timings Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 7

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 7

RAS# Precharge = 7

RAS# Activate to Precharge = 20

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

CPU Voltage = 1.375V

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = 2.0V

FSB Termination Voltage = 1.44v

North Bridge Voltage = 1.44v

Setting to these values changes your FSB from 333 to 450.

Previous was 333 X 9 ~= 3.0Ghz

Now is 450 X 7 ~= 3.15Ghz

So you have not much of an overclock and now can run your DRAM at 1800.

After doing the above, boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If you pass, then enter Windows and run CPU-z. Post screenshots of your CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tabs. Post a screenshot of Core Temp as well.

By the way did notice I have 4gb RAM, if not, do the settings apply for that too?

// Begin ASUS reply:

Dear Valued ASUS Customer

The problem most likely lies in that the CPU is not supported by the motherboard. You can find the supported CPU's here: http://support.asus.de/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Maximus%20Extreme

Best Regards

ASUS TMSS Support

---------- Original Message ----------

Sent : 2008-03-04 00:08:22

To : "tsd@asus.com.tw"

Subject : <TSD> Motherboard Maximus Extreme

[CASEID=WTM200803032324503519]

Apply date : 3/3/2008 11:24:50 PM

[Contact Information]

*Name : Jorgen

*Email Address : ***

Phone Number : ****

City : ***

[Product Information]

*Product Type : Motherboard

*Product Model : Maximus Extreme

*Product S/N : 7BMCAI073620

Place of Purchase : Dialect

*Date of Purchase : 2008/1/15

[Motherboard Specification]

*Motherboard Revision : 0601

*Motherboard BIOS Revision : Bios 0601

[VGA Card Specification]

*VGA Card Vendor : Asus

*VGA Card Model : Asus EN8800GTX

*VGA Card Chipset : Nvidia

*VGA Card Driver : 169.21_forceware_winxp_64bit

[CPU Specification]

*CPU Vendor : Intel

*CPU Type : socket 775

*CPU Speed : Core 2 Extreme quad-core QX9650

[Memory Specification]

*Memory Vendor : Corsair

*Memory Model : Corsair dominator DDR3

*Memory Capacity : 1024MB

[HDD Specification]

HDD Vendor : seagate

H DD Model : Barracuda ES.2

HDD Capacity : 500GB

[Add-on Card Specificatio]

Add-on Card Vendor :

Add-on Card Type :

Add-on Card Model :

*Operating System : WinXP 64bit

[Problem Description]

Hi

It says overclocking faild! pleas enter setup and if i go with default it dosent matter the next time it

starts

If i press f2 (Default) it starts but it shout down after 5-10 min.

If a press ctrl+alt+del it wont restart the fans work but nothing more

And if i tryes to initiate the raid it only starts to make pip sounds

Is ther one stable setup of bios thats work?

//

Checking the link they refer to:

http://support.asus.de/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Maximus%20Extreme

Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:2X6MB,rev.C0,4 cores) ALL

Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (3.00GHz,1333FSB,L2:2X6MB,rev.C0,4 cores) ALL 0602 Beta BIOS

If your motherboard BIOS version number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller than the version listed above, then you will need to select and download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please refer to "BIOS Flashing Method ". If you still have doubts, we will strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer for further assistance.

Is that not my CPU? Don't know how to react on this!

If they don't know at Asus then who?...

I will defenitly test your settings DerekT, but if it's not working this time, may be I should look at another MB, heard alot good stuff about GigaByte, what's your opinion?

May be Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6?

By the way did notice I have 4gb RAM, if not, do the settings apply for that too?

You have 2 X 2GB or 4 X 1024?

I will defenitly test your settings DerekT, but if it's not working this time, may be I should look at another MB, heard alot good stuff about GigaByte, what's your opinion?

You're in rarefied air here. I am not going for Penryn until the C1 revision and not DDR3 until the latencies drop. Probably six months or so more for Penryn and a year or more, possibly two until I migrate to DDR3. Gigabyte is a decent board, but I personally like ASUS. They have many more design engineers than any other company. They release more BIOS revisions than any other motherboard manufacturer and the boards are solidly made.

The QX9650 is in the list of supported CPUs for the Maximus Extreme. LOL Count on ASUS support not to know where up is. They keep looking down and sideways. :P

You have 2 X 2GB or 4 X 1024?:P

I have 4 X 1024. Do have to adjust from the above settings?

You're in rarefied air here. I am not going for Penryn until the C1 revision and not DDR3 until the latencies drop. Probably six months or so more for Penryn and a year or more, possibly two until I migrate to DDR3. Gigabyte is a decent board, but I personally like ASUS. They have many more design engineers than any other company. They release more BIOS revisions than any other motherboard manufacturer and the boards are solidly made.

The QX9650 is in the list of supported CPUs for the Maximus Extreme. LOL Count on ASUS support not to know where up is. They keep looking down and sideways. :P

Sorry haven't seen the expression "rarefied air" before, doesn't sound good though ;)

So what is the best thing to do, return the whole stuff?

Would it run more stable at lower memoriy frequenzy, lets say at 1333, this machine will used for graphic work, DTP, video rendering and 3d animation.

On spare time I will surely do some gaming, have the ASUS EN8800 series, but that's a parentesis!

So I guess memory speed is not the prime goal, as this is CPU intensive stuff.

Regards

Hello DerektT!

I can confirm the above settings did not work.

How would a lower setting on "DRAM Frequency = DDR3-***" look like, what figures should I change?

Let say getting it work in 1333mhz?

Hi Izeb, i have your same problem with the same memory but my mobo is P5E3 Deluxe.

Our memory are OK but we have a problem with the stability @1800, so you have to find your FSB WALL. Do you know what i mean?

Let the memory settings all to AUTO and raise up step by step your FSB till you'll find the stability running MEMTEST86+ or GOLDMEMORY (GM is better).

When you'll find your FSB WALL you can set your memory timings, memory voltage and all the last settings!

It's very strange because our motherboards supports oc profiles @1800 and i've seen the compatibility with Corsair but it's not the truth because my FSB WALL is at 445 and not at 450 so i can't run my Corsair @1800 but just a little bit under...

For example: if i set FSB to 446 with any timings or any voltages or any other settings my pc is going to freeze or the stability tests will give me a lot of errors...

I hope you'll find your FSB WALL as soon as possible.

Bye.

Hi Izeb, i have your same problem with the same memory but my mobo is P5E3 Deluxe.

Our memory are OK but we have a problem with the stability @1800, so you have to find your FSB WALL. Do you know what i mean?

Let the memory settings all to AUTO and raise up step by step your FSB till you'll find the stability running MEMTEST86+ or GOLDMEMORY (GM is better).

When you'll find your FSB WALL you can set your memory timings, memory voltage and all the last settings!

It's very strange because our motherboards supports oc profiles @1800 and i've seen the compatibility with Corsair but it's not the truth because my FSB WALL is at 445 and not at 450 so i can't run my Corsair @1800 but just a little bit under...

For example: if i set FSB to 446 with any timings or any voltages or any other settings my pc is going to freeze or the stability tests will give me a lot of errors...

Bye.

Ok thanks will try this ASAP, but I prolly need some help with timings once I found the "wall".

Btw. Notice I have 4 X 1024Mb memomries, so far I've seen there problems getting those running at higher speed.

Ok thanks will try this ASAP, but I prolly need some help with timings once I found the "wall".

Btw. Notice I have 2 X 1024Mb memomries, so far I've seen there problems getting those running at higher speed.

I have had my best results with these settings:

Command Rate 1N/1T

Timings: 7-6-5-18 the others AUTO

Voltage: 2.00 (if you have black screen at start raise this value till 2.06 step by step: 2,02-2,04-2,06)

Superpi 1M = 11,2 sec

Everest latency = 47,2 sec

Most important will be also the FSB STRAP TO NORTHBRIDGE. After your stability test try to move it to 266 or 333 and post yuor best result.

Bye m8. :D:

Set the timings to 7-7-7-20 and after you have found stability, you can begin to lower them a bit if you wish. Once you have found stability, then you need to start researching if you want to get involved in minimal tweaking.

The difference is very slight though, so it's an Enthusiast thing. Do not expect large returns on performance. It is slight. It takes many hours of tweaking and many weeks of being certain of stability. When you reach this arena, it becomes more up to you to research and learn. Keep in mind that with 4 X 1024, you will have very likely to drop your DRAM bandwidth to 1333. Try 400 X 8 and 1333.

Try these two spots:

http://www.ocforums.com

http://www.xtremesystems.org

You have now moved up to the East Side with regards to system performance. You are now in the De-Luxe apartment in the Sky.

Enjoy grasshopper :rofl:

Bye.

Hey back again, had the rig at my dealer who has no hiar left on his after fighting whith this problems also, sweares at me telling to by DELL or some other preconfigured system, may be he's right.

How to find a wall when default setting seems to the wall, or right to say there are walls evereywhere, there is no stable setting :(

Here's a reply from tech express RamGuy:

"First make sure you have the latest BIOS and test the modules a pair at a time. Load default settings in BIOS, 7-7-7-20 @ 2.0v, bump up NB voltage to 1.55, change your FSB to 450MHZ and start with 1333MHZ and work your way up. Let me know the results."

All the above conditions where tested but it even reboots at no cause when at default loaded values, changing values in BIOS.

And changing FSB to 450mhz turns memory up to 1800mhz, changing it manually, 1333mhz is no availble, but other odd numbers turn up, no the usal 1333, 1600, and so on.

I'm just running two sticks of mem for now, so I was able to test each pair separate, to out rule any defect RAM.

About this FSB wall thing, is it correct i should load setup defaults, and then then raise FSB to where it gets unstable, and that should the "wall", kinda limit how high I can go?

That doesn't apply when it's unsable from the first place at default setting.

May be you mean by default the recommendations from Corsair (7-7-7-20@2.0v) which I also tried.

As the MB is a replaced one, and I have to pairs of RAM, and also tried different Graphics card, even an old PCI, I begin to suspect other things, the CPU, my PS (thermaltake toughpower 850w).

What you guys think?

When you been tweaking for two weeks and not getting one stable setup, there's no enthusiasm left.

You clearly will have doctors degree and no job to go to to get this going.

At least the combiniation Of Asus (asucks would be better name) and Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN G and the QX9650.

Hope none gets offended by my little outbreak, but now I sit here with about $5000 electronic junk:evil:

here are the conversations with ASUS:

For 1800 and 1600MHz memory on this motherboard works in overclock mode.

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 1800*/1600*/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

*Overclock speed

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed and that you check the QVL for compatible memory to the motherboard.

As stated in my earlier question about timings. Even two computer with exact same hardware in it the settings can vary and they are not both 100% stable on same settings. This is often related to that the components are from different batches and so.

Best Regards

ASUS TMSS Support

Sent : 2008-03-04 23:45:11

Subject : Re:Re:<TSD> Motherboard Maximus Extreme

[CASEID=WTM20080304231163025]

Ok, got my MB replaced (RMA/DOA) because of unaccapable problems.

Now is the question Is there a stable setup for Maximus Extreme and

Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN G? Or are these Incompatible with my Motherboard?

I have 4 gb (4x1gb) of these modules, seen so far that 1800mhz will not work.

If this config is not working, it should be pointed out.

Have seious considerations on switching to another MB Manufacturer, heard from a collegue that

had big problems with Asus (especilly new boards).

Hope you will proof them wrong in this matter, by helping me find a solution.

You said (Unfortunately we don't have exact timings etc since these can verify for different users) I

can understand users are different, but the hardware isn't different I hope?

Aren't hardware manufacturers following some kind of standards. For instance pc-14440 standard for

memories, should work on a board suited out for PC-14400 memories, if not... I'll cross over to Mac

instead!!

I bought the hardware to get the top of the line, I'm very disapointed.

Please help straighting things out in this matter.

Regards *****

To:*****

Date:2008-02-25 16:39:24

Unfortunately we don't have exact timings etc since these can verify for different users. Even if they

both have same setup. The settings are very individual therefore we can only recommend specific

memories.

We recommend using one of the 1333MHz or 1600MHz listed i n our QVL for overclocking to

1800MHz on the memory. I can't guarantee a 1333MHz will make it that high without extreme cooling

but a 1600MHz should work and in our list OCZ is tested and works.

You can find the QVL here: http://www.asus.com/999/download/products/1862/1862_10.pdf

Best Regards

ASUS TMSS Support

Sent : 2008-02-23 21:52:00

[CASEID=WTM200802232111599240]

Apply date : 2/23/2008 9:11:59 PM

[Contact Information]

*Name : ****

*Email Address : *****

Phone Number : +****

City : ****

[Product Information]

*Product S/N : 7BMCAI048192

Place of Purchase : Dialect *****

*Date of Purchase : 2008/2/18

*Motherboard Revision : Maximus extreme rev.1001

*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1001

[VGA Card Specification]

*VGA Card Model : EN8800TX

*VGA Card Driver : Latest!

[CPU Specification]

*CPU Type : socket 775 core 2 quad qx9650

*CPU Speed : 3ghz

[Memory Specification]

*Memory Vendor : Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFING

*Memory Model : DDR3

*Memory Capacity : 2x1024 + 2x1024

[HDD Specification]

HDD Vendor :

HDD Model :

HDD Capacity :

Add-on Card Vendor :

Add-on Card Type :

Add-on Card Model :

[Problem Description]

Hello!

Having problems with stabilty in my system.

I bought this Mb, Memories to get max performance.

So I wan't the memories to run in their full speed 1800mhz.

I've seen there's a lot of discussions about this issue here and on the net.

I'd like to have a complete list of settings in Extreme Tweaker(all frequenzies, voltage multipliers etc...

every post) of a working stable setup.

Everybody seems to have different opinions about this.

Hope you, the manufacters of the MB can help me out.

Please don't referr to corsair and say it's their problem, the say the same about you ;)

Please help!

Thanks in advance

and number2:

The CPU that yuor are using on this motherboard needs BIOS version 0602 to work. Please update the BIOS and the "overcloking failed" is gone.

Best Regards

ASUS TMSS Support

Sent : 2008-03-07 03:04:56

[CASEID=WTM20080307220125890]

Apply date : 3/7/2008 2:20:12 AM

[Contact Information]

*Name : *****

*Email Address : *****

Phone Number : ****

City : *****

[Product Information]

*Product S/N : 7BMCAI048192

Place of Purchase : Dialect *****

*Date of Purchase : 2008/2/18

*Motherboard Revision : Maximus Extreme or N/A?

*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1001

[VGA Card Specification]

*VGA Card Model : EN8800GTX

*VGA Card Driver : latest (wHEN I EVENTUALLY GET INTO wINDOWS)

[CPU Specification]

*CPU Type : Core™ 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 3GHz ,LGA775,1333MHz,

*CPU Speed : 3.0 ghz

[Memory Specification]

*Memory Model : TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN

*Memory Capacity : 4GB

[HDD Specification]

HDD Vendor : Seagate

HDD Model : Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA2

HDD Capacity : 2 x 500GB

Add-on Card Vendor :

Add-on Card Type :

Add-on Card Model :

[Problem Description]

This is one of your collegues told the Technician at my resellers place, about my problems

concerning my actual computer.

Please read all of this.

//Begin Qoute

The problem most likely lies in that the CPU is not supported by the motherboard. You can find the

supported CPU's here: http://support.asus.de/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-

us&model=Maximus%20Extreme

Best Regards

ASUS TMSS Support

Sent : 2008-03-04 00:08:22

[CASEID=WTM200803032324503519]

Apply date : 3/3/2008 11:24:50 PM

[Contact Information]

*Name : ********

*Email Address : *************

Phone Number : +**************

City : *****

[Product Information]

*Product S/N : 7BMCAI073620

Place of Purchase : Dialect

*Date of Purchase : 2008/1/15

*Motherboard Revision : 0601

*Motherboard BIOS Revision : Bios 0601

[VGA Card Specification]

*VGA Card Model : Asus EN8800GTX

*VGA Card Driver : 169.21_forceware_winxp_64bit

[CPU Specification]

*CPU Type : socket 775

*CPU Speed : Core 2 Extreme quad-core QX9650

[Memory Specification]

*Memory Model : Corsair dominator DDR3

*Memory Capacity : 1024MB

[HDD Specification]

HDD Vendor : seagate

H DD Model : Barracuda ES.2

HDD Capacity : 500GB

Add-on Card Vendor :

Add-on Card Type :

Add-on Card Model :

[Problem Description]

Hi

It says overclocking faild! pleas enter setup and if i go with default it dosent matter the next time it

starts

If i press f2 (Default) it starts but it shout down after 5-10 min.

If a press ctrl+alt+del it wont restart the fans work but nothing more

And if i tryes to initiate the raid it only starts to make pip sounds

Is ther one stable setup of bios thats work?

//End Quote

___

Your own CPU-support form ponts out QX9650 as a compatible CPU so now I'm really getting

confused and annoyed. What is correct?

The only thing I want to to is getting it up and going, before I buyed these components I checked

both Corsair and Asus site for compabilty for QX9650, and Maximus extreme came up as a

compatibel choice, didn't realize so much hands on engineering had to be done, and so little

support to get. I will check into other manufacturers of motherboard instead if this issue isn't solved

ASAP, and I will certainly tell others of my experience with this Motherboard.

One from Corsair:

First make sure you have the latest BIOS and test the modules a pair at a time. Load default settings in BIOS, 7-7-7-20 @ 2.0v, bump up NB voltage to 1.55, change your FSB to 450MHZ and start with 1333MHZ and work your way up. Let me know the results.

Well that's that for ya.

Either all of the parts are defect or I must be a Dumb *** not getting this to work.

Thanx for your time guys, happy O.C (not for me)

If these rules where for doctors and patients, we'd all be dead by now.

"Try this medicine, it might make you well, or kill you, we don't know for sure, it's different batches, and all bodys are different, so you never know what works or not":eek:

My advice, don't buy hardware newer than one year. Let the geeks like us test it first, take the pain so to speak. Cuz the manufacurers obviously don't do any testing, at least to little testing, and there are guidelines for hardware manufacurers to follow, they must have misplaced them.

I know there's a lot memory, motherboard makers out there, and probably that's the answer I get, we don't have time to test all memeories and mothersboard and GFx cards etc, to see if it works together.

Should be some kinda rating, if a manafacturer gets many complaints about incompatible hardware he should get a point, most points means they're not follwing standards.

I'm not blaming anyone, it's seems just the way it is.

Well at leat be around a while to see some reactions to this, but I probably return all my stuff on monday, may be I get a MAC instead, they seem to get it together at least.

Cya

I understand you're worried about that but you have to be patient because every computer is totally different from other computers even if the hardware could be the same!!!

Ex: my QX9650 + Asus P5E3 + Corsair Dominator DFIN are set surely in a different way from other ppl. Yes, its true that ALL begun using a pre-compiled configuration but as you have seen it doesn't works good for a lot of ppl!!!

So, before you'll becoming "crazy" :p:, please, listen to me and i'll try to help you but my english is very bad and i hope you'll understand me.

FIRST THING TO DO:

AI O/C Tuner = Manual

CPU Ratio Control = Manual

Ratio CMOS Setting = 8

FBS Strap to North Bridge = Auto

FBS Frequency = 420

PCIE Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1681MHz

DRAM Command Rate = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Auto

CAS# Latency = Auto

RAS# to CAS# Relay = Auto

RAS# Precharge = Auto

RAS# Active Time = Auto

RAS# to RAS# Delay = Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time = Auto

Write Recovery Time = Auto

Read to Precharge Time = Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (D) = Auto

DRAM Synamic Write Control = Disabled

Ai Clock Twister = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel A = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel B = Auto

Ai Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = 1.30000

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FBS Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = Auto

North Bridge Voltage = 1.49

South Bridge Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

CPU Voltage Damper (Load Line Calibration) = Disabled

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto

North Bridge Voltage Reference = Auto

Ratio CMOS Setting = 8

C1E Support = Disabled

CPU TM Function = Disabled

Vanderpool Technology = Disabled

Execute Disable Bit = Disabled

Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled

After you set this on your bios, run MEMTEST86+ for 2 passed (about 1 hour or less) and let me know the results, then, i'll tell you what you should do.

P.S. Remember: our problems comes from the motherboard and not from the memorys!!! So you have to found your FSB WALL and after that you can easily set your timings and your voltage, but wait for me, just run the test and report, i'll coming back soon.

See you soon.

Thanks Merigo, you managed to calm me a bit, will give this a try.

But one of the few times I get it into windows, and I don't do dare to run any tests, it suddenly reboots without warnings, and this also can happen when I manage to load default settings in BIOS, (or clear cmos) to start typing in new values to test.

Most times such a reboot al is black, and I have to clear cmos several times to even get it to POST, is that not a bit weird?

One would there would be some kinda safe mode, below a certian frquenzy or voltage it at least runs, is it a fact that even really low settings, 1066 or even lower acts instable?

Should be a fail safe level sort of....

I let know ASAP as I've test your Values.

Thanks Merigo, you managed to calm me a bit, will give this a try.

But one of the few times I get it into windows, and I don't do dare to run any tests, it suddenly reboots without warnings, and this also can happen when I manage to load default settings in BIOS, (or clear cmos) to start typing in new values to test.

Most times such a reboot al is black, and I have to clear cmos several times to even get it to POST, is that not a bit weird?

One would there would be some kinda safe mode, below a certian frquenzy or voltage it at least runs, is it a fact that even really low settings, 1066 or even lower acts instable?

Should be a fail safe level sort of....

I let know ASAP as I've test your Values.

Black screens, BSOD or freeze are typical when you're searching for the right way to overclock, don't be worried about that.

I restarted my pc about 500 times.

I have seen about 100 BSOD, but it's normale and i love these errors because it was THE ONLY WAY TO UNDERSTOOD THAT MY WORK WASN'T GOOD YET...

Smoking a cigarette or watching tv may help you when test are running.

Got any tips BSOD (black screen of death), seems just a coincedence makes me able to clear CMOS, most of times it doesn't clear, and all remains black. I have no clues why it POSTS some times or not. As if CMOS Clear doesn't most ot the times.

Tried a hard reset recommended by Asus, by removing battery, holding Clear cmos pressed 60 seconds, and then wait another 9 minutes before putting back the battery, but works also only sometimes.

I know you don't have Maximus, it has CMOS clear button at the back plate, but it also has a switch on the MB which I guess is to enable/disable that button but I'm not sure, vague description in the manual. But anyway tested clear cmos whith that switch at both options, switch to the left and switch to the right, makes no difference.

So my dear Merigo, after about 50 reboots into a very depressing black screen, without being able to clear CMOS my CMOS had enough, LCD poster reacted and was glad first to get a life sign, only to see cmos error, a will try the crash free cmos thingy with this Board (haha). I'm now at the state where I sent in the other board, and I have not overvolted anything, how am I supposed to that when I just can go into BIOS a couple of minutes before it reboots by itself. This can't be true, something in this config has be very wrong. At least when trying to clear CMOS to default setting it would be nice to be able to set the right timings right. I'm on the edge to insanity.

In my next life I will the Hardware Demolition Man "HDM". Would be that now if I afford to smassh these under a monster truck:evil:

Hope I be back soon with news. If not read in the paper bezrk Swede demolishes computers HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!.... weeep

It's over now, feels good to have given up, will try to return this junk on Monday, hope I get some money back:[pouts:

Anyone else had these trouble even getting to clear BIOS?

Whithout being able to clear BIOS and only getting a black screen how one supposed to be able to change anything?

I guess this boards aren't fit out to hold out 100eds of cmos resets. I now get CMOS err in LCD poster, and that's the samething that happened with my first Maximus board.

Anyone knows correct timings on a black screen?

Cuz may be if I'm lucky I was able to get a full POST 1 of 100 boots/CMOS restes etc.

And how on earth can I correct timings when setup default are instable, it reboots even then trying to correct timings in BIOS.

I know Maximus has a so called crash free BIOS (haha) pressing alt+F2 on reboot, whit a BIOS rom file on USB or DVD. But does it has go this far.

These problems cannot be. Something else has to cause this, but what?

Changed GFX, card, have set of TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN, so I was able to test these two different sets, can I be so lucky, both defect? Think not.

Booted whit minimal hardware, nothing but CPU memory and GFX, didn't do anything.....

So either the CPU is defect from start, should be very unlikely with a QX9650 Extreme. And then we have The PSU, thermaltake toughpower 850w, brand new also.

I don't know what say more.:confused:

Since you have only one video card and are not going with SLi, then I personally advise you against 780i. Go with an Intel motherboard for an Intel CPU and you will have far less issues. A P5K-E/P5K-Deluxe/P5K-Premium would do you well.

I am not affiliated with Corsair or any hardware company. I am involved in systems integration and have access to failure returned rates of hardware. Of the 680i/780i, the return rates are far higher than any other board chipset.

Since you have only one video card and are not going with SLi, then I personally advise you against 780i. Go with an Intel motherboard for an Intel CPU and you will have far less issues. A P5K-E/P5K-Deluxe/P5K-Premium would do you well.

I am not affiliated with Corsair or any hardware company. I am involved in systems integration and have access to failure returned rates of hardware. Of the 680i/780i, the return rates are far higher than any other board chipset

Thanks for your info.

780i: is that the chipset of Video card or motherboard, thought MB was x38?

Are the A P5K-E/P5K-Deluxe/P5K-Premium board compatible with qx9650 and my corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN (4gb) and Asus EN8800GTX?

I would gladly ecxhange my MB to something more stable.

May be you can recommend a system for Graphic work, such as, large files in photoshop (more the 1gb sometimes) and video rendering, 3d rendering. Need get good, shorter render times, and possibilty to run several program simultaniously, jumping between photoshop, Illustrator and flash. (not during rendering though)

this night I actually had the MB running memtest86 5 passes, so I went to bed, to run it all night.

Woke up now and it's gone black again, impossible once again to get it to POST. Last time I tried to clear CMOS hundred times without luck.

Btw during the succesful passes I got no errors. Have no heat problems, so I'm out of ideas.

Setting from Merigo's recommendations:

AI O/C Tuner = Manual

Ratio CMOS Setting = 8

FBS Strap to North Bridge = Auto

FBS Frequency = 420

PCIE Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1681MHz

DRAM Command Rate = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Auto

CAS# Latency = Auto

RAS# to CAS# Relay = Auto

RAS# Precharge = Auto

RAS# Active Time = Auto

RAS# to RAS# Delay = Auto

Row Refresh Cycle Time = Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (S) = Auto

Read to Read Delay (D) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (S) = Auto

Write to Write Delay (D) = Auto

DRAM Synamic Write Control = Disabled

Ai Clock Twister = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel A = Auto

Ai Clock Skew for Channel B = Auto

Ai Transaction Booster = Auto

CPU Voltage = 1.30000

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FBS Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = Auto

North Bridge Voltage = 1.49

South Bridge Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

CPU Voltage Damper (Load Line Calibration) = Disabled

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto

North Bridge Voltage Reference = Auto

Ratio CMOS Setting = 8

C1E Support = Disabled

CPU TM Function = Disabled

Vanderpool Technology = Disabled

Execute Disable Bit = Disabled

Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled

I have now dissambled the computer, will return motherboard, as my qx9650, my Corsair TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN, cannot work together it seems. Or I have to find a setting that differs from a micro volt difference near that works, may be. the above setting seemed to work a couple hours, before the system died, and BIOS gets inaccessable, CMOS reset doesn't work either at that Point, may be if I push CMOS btn a hundred times, eventually something happens.

Maximus Extreme has all this fine features as the C.P.R CPU Parameter recall in short: "In case the systems hangs because of overclocking fail, "simply reboot" system and the BIOS automatically restores the CPU default setting for each paramater"

What a Joke!

Thanks for your info.

780i: is that the chipset of Video card or motherboard, thought MB was x38?

780i is the chipset of the motherboard. My mistake, I had thought the extreme was 780i. You are correct, it is the same as the Maximus Formula and houses the X38 chipset. That board should be fine.

this night I actually had the MB running memtest86 5 passes, so I went to bed, to run it all night.

Woke up now and it's gone black again, impossible once again to get it to POST. Last time I tried to clear CMOS hundred times without luck.

Btw during the succesful passes I got no errors. Have no heat problems, so I'm out of ideas.

Can you return the motherboard to the retailer? I would not keep it longer. The longer you keep it, the harder return becomes. With the issues you are having, I would return the board personally and exchange it for another. Your problems will likely be over.

Archived