Corsair Community

Having Trouble with 2 sets of TWIN2X2048-8500C5

willard

I'm running the ram on a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3L motherboard with a Core2Duo e6750. When I first installed the ram, I had to flash my bios so I could manually tweak the settings. I'm running the ram at 2.1V with timings of 5-5-5-15 2T, and its showing up on CPU-Z as 4GB of DDR2 1066.

So I can boot to windows fine, I only noticed a problem when I was playing a game the other night. I had the game unexpectedly quit to my desktop. This happened before with some older sticks of ram I had that started getting errors. I ran memtest and one pair passed memtest with no errors on two passes. The other pair had errors after running memtest for a few minutes. I tried alternating the slots and sticks to make sure it wasn't a problem with my motherboard.

My biggest concern is that there might be some compatibility issue with having all 4 slots of my ram filled. I really want to have 4 gb of RAM so if for some reason my motherboard does not function properly with 4 sticks, I want to return these to newegg and purchase 2x2gb sticks of ddr2 1066. The 30 day return period ends within two weeks so I was hoping that I could get some insight or advice from some of you guys. If the problem is just that I was unlucky and got a bad stick, I'd like to just RMA them and get a new pair. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hmmm, aside from the one incident I had while playing that game with crashing to my desktop, I've been able to run Vista perfectly fine with the four sticks of ram at ddr2 1066. Maybe I'll be the first? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I couldn't really get much sleep last night so I decided to do more extensive memtest'ing. First I started with all four sticks in. In about 10 minutes on test 5, it finds an error. I then removed one pair, and got two passes with no errors. I set those aside and tested the other pair. The 2nd pair had an error on the same test I think at the same location. So I took another stick out and sure enough, the one that I tested had the same error on the same test.

I think I've isolated which stick isn't working. After I started testing pairs, I used the same two slots for all of the following runs. The fact that the first pair got 2 passes with no errors would make me think that it isn't a mother board issue. Before I did all this testing, I also browsed around on your forums for a bit and disabled the legacy USB option. I think some others said that it gave them false positives for errors.

I'll follow your advice and file the online RMA request. Just out of curiosity, you said that people with my motherboard had not had success with getting 4 sticks of ddr2 1066 running. What generally happened when they attempted doing so?

For me with having the 4 sticks of ddr2 1066 in, I have no trouble booting, Windows is stable with no restarts or crashes, and I've actually been able to play several hours of video games. Aside from the one incident of having my game quit I haven't noticed any stability problems.

• Corsair Employees
Running four modules in any system could potentially cause stability issues when running the memory at 1066MHz, its really hit or miss. Some boards will work fine, and others you will have to overclock the board in order for it to be stable.

Well I decided to take some screen shots of me running all four sticks of ram at 1066.

When I was looking at the part number, I got slightly confused, maybe you can elaborate more on how things are named. This is directly from newegg's website, I reached this page through going through my account history and is the ram i am running.

Brand CORSAIR

Series XMS2

Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5

Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

The module name on each individual stick from Everest is

Module Name Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D

Is TWIN2x2048-8500C5 a special name given to the part as a pair? Did I get the wrong part? Anyway, I'll post some pictures from everest and cpu-z. I'm fairly new to overclocking/building computers myself so it could be that maybe I'm just reading something wrong. Would you mind taking a look to see if everything i'm saying is adding up?

• Corsair Employees

TWIN = 2 matched modules in one package or "kit"

CM = 1 module

A "TWIN" kit consists of 2x "CM" modules which have been tested together in a dual channel environment. Lets get your TWIN kit replaced!

• 1 month later...

Hey, I had a busy month with exams for my classes so I didn't get around to shipping out my ram for my RMA until just two weeks ago. I sent the RAM in a padded envelope, clearly marked with my RMA number, with a copy of my RMA confirmation e-mail and my return address. I sent it via Fedex ground with insurance. It arrived at your facility last week, and my RMA status had not been updated to this day.

I called your customer service department and they offered to replace the modules with new ones, but I was told I would have to wait up to four weeks since my particular model was on back order. Since originally purchasing my ram, it has been almost two months. Although part of this is due to shipping time and my own busy work schedule, I'm really disappointed that I will be without new ram for another four weeks (he could not even guarantee that it would be within four weeks), not including shipping time.

I realize that the product being on back order is out of your control, but I still feel like having to wait four weeks for new modules is a bit ridiculous. I have used corsair products in the past and have been very satisfied with the quality of the ram and the service provided, but my experience with this particular instance has been disappointing.

The reason why I feel this is disappointing is that I purchased this particular set of ram two months ago was because of its high speed, low price, and great quality (associated with the Corsair name). There were very few other options that could offer as great a value as this module did. However, having to wait two months to be able to use them means that prices will have had time to drop on other modules as well, and the value that I perceived to be getting is diminished due to the availability of alternatives.

In short, I was wondering if there is anything Corsair can do to compensate for this loss.

• Corsair Employees
Please call our Customer Service at 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "0" and they will help you solve the problem, and our hours are from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific Time Monday through Friday excluding holidays!

Archived