Corsair Community

Can't get Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF to run at 1066

Th3GMan

Can't get my 4GB of Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF (2 Kits) to run at 1066 in my 780i MB...and it's the entire reason I bought the memory. According to both the EVGA and Corsair sites these DIMMS should run at 1066.

First off, if I leave the BIOS setting on Auto, everything works fine EXCEPT the fact that the memory runs at 800MHz. So...if I change the settings to SLI-ENABLE memory, the BIOS settings screen shows the correct speed. You would think...great...all done....NOPE.

However, If I restart the OS or press Reset (not a cold boot), it hangs at a blank screen, and the LED on the MB says "FF"....nothing else ever happens. Then, if I shut down the system completely and cold boot, I can get to the POST screen, and the memory shows as 1066MHz; however, I then get a Memory setting incorrect message and it forces me to choose F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup. It will repeat the above anytime I have to restart the OS or reset from BIOS.

I've tried about every setting I can think of (linked, unlinked, SLI-enabled, etc, etc), and every setting I have read on all the forums, but no matter what, the only way it works is if I leave it on Auto an my 1066MHz memory runs at 800MHz......I did not pay $414 for 4GB of 1066 memory, to have it run at 800MHz. I check both your site and the EVGA site before I purchased, and both sites said the memory was fully compatible and would run at 1066MHz.

• Corsair Employees
Please test them one set at a time to be sure one is not failing, they will or should run with one set at the tested settings. However, if you install more than two modules DDR800 would be suggested. If you want to run 4 up at DDR1066 I would suggest using the Quad2x4096-8500C5DF set of modules instead. Or better yet Twin2x4096-8500C5DF.

Great...so I wasted $414 because it plainly said they would run at 1066MHz. What settings should I try if I want to "attempt" to get these to run at 1066Mhz? Is it even possible with 4GB?

And can I be sure the 2 sets you mention will run at 1066? I mean, these current DIMMS were supposed to as well, and I can't afford to pay 15% restocking fee, over, and over again. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employees

Do they pass with one set at a time at the tested settings? If yes then they are running as advertised.

And no running 4 modules is hit and miss a lot of MB's will just not run 4 up at the rated speed, this is not new and has been an issue with unbuffered memory ever since. The Quad2x Kits are tested on a MB at the rated speed so if they will not run it is likely some other issue. Like I stated before if you want 4 gig of 8500 Modules I would suggest getting Twin2x4096-8500C5DF instead.

Yes they pass, they just won't run at 1066 without freezing up the MB at a blank screen and the "FF" (boot) post code.

I've RMA'd these (gonna cost me 15%) :mad:

and ordered a set of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF as you suggested.

Those really better work at 1066. :bigeyes:

I'll post back here as soon as I have them in.

Thanks!

Well FAN-damntastic....

Same issue. Memory WILL NOT run at 1066....memory defaults to 800MHz. I tried changing the settings to SLI-Enable which changed it to Unlinked and show the speed as 1066 in the BIOS screen. However, at reboot I get a blank FREAKING screen and a LED post code of "FF". What the hell! :mad:

At a hard reboot I see the correct settings, but I am told:

Warning! Now system is in Safe-Mode.

Preset CPU or Memory Frequency in the CMOS setup.

Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter Setup

I can continue, and go on into Windows. But anytime I restart the system I get the blank screen and "FF" code, I then have to HARD reboot, and get stopped by this message.

Settings that I have now:

SLI-Ready Memory: Expert

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked

MEM (DDR), MHz: 1066

Memory Timing Setting: Expert

tCL: 5

tRCD: 5

tRP: 5

tRAS: 15

CMD: 2T

tRRD: 4

tRC: 22

tWR: 6

tWTR: 10

tREF: 7.8uS

Memory Voltage: 2.100V

Motherboard issue. Not a DRAM issue. These 780i's are problematic. I personally only go with Intel chipsets for Intel CPUs.

The Nvidia chipsets motherboard return at a higher rate than the Intel chipset motherboards. ASUS is the best of the Nvidia chipset motherboards for return rates and EVGA is one of the worst.

That's just reality. Keep RMA'ing the DRAM if you wish but I would put my money on a board issue. Had you purchased a P35 or X38 Intel chipset motherboard, the likelihood of issues would have been halved. ASUS would have made it better though. I see you want SLi so I understand.

I am a bit pissed at Nvidia. They shyte out the 780i. People think it is a better board than the 680i. They buy it and find it has all the same issues of the 680i. Then after they've suckered everyone in to buy the 780i they come out with 790i a few months later?

It should have been the 690i and then the 780i if they were going to do it at all. Keep in mind, I don't work for Corsair. I am just a simple member who comes here to help out. This is my personal opinion and one of a systems integrator who has connections to a mainstream distribution center for the statistics of return rates.

Well unfortunately that won't cut it with me, and I can't go Intel chipset as you said. I would have waited for the 790i, but the DDR3 memory is WAY to expensive and will remain so for some time, plus it gives no performance gains as of yet.

BOTH Corsair and EVGA say that these WILL run with the 780i chipset....therefore I expect one or the other to fix the issue and stop bull******* me around. I was specifically told that these would run WITHOUT question.

I expect to get this to work, any other answer won't cut it.

This issue is across the board with Nvidia 680i/780i

http://www.google.ca/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=EVGA+LED+Post+code+of+FF&btnG=Search&meta=

If you continue to blame Corsair, then return the DRAM and buy some other DRAM and find the same issue. It's the board. You are lucky, you have boot, you might well be able to get the board to work.

I just come here to help and personally, if you don't want to hear what I have to say, then just say so and I will not post in your threads. Easy fix there...

Keep in mind, I am willing to help, just not willing to help an angry person.

I already talked with EVGA, they say it is the MEMORY and not the board. Here I am told it is the BOARD and not the memory. Seriously, this is a freaking joke.

Of course, I'm going to go back to EVGA and try to get a different board, but I bet I get a new one and the same thing happens. Heck, I'll bet money on it.

All I am getting is the run around. I'm going in freaking circles. Plus RAM GUY specifically said I "would be happy" with these.

Anyway, I'm on EVGA's site at the same time I am here, so around and around I go.

It happened with the other DRAM and it is happening with this DRAM. I understand your frustration and I understand the feeling of being run around. Testing the DRAM in another system will show if the DRAM is at error, but I doubt it very much, because you had a repetitive issue with the other DRAM. That leads to the motherboard. EVGA can say it is the memory, but you have isolated that issue by using different DRAM and repeating the issue. Clearly the issue has isolated the DRAM.

The Post codes are hex values, and FF is the end of the line which means a successful boot. Can you please post your entire CPU and Memory values in BIOS?

Can you remove one Video card and see if you gain boot?

I hear you, and I'm not saying it is the DRAM at this point....but I am hoping there might be a setting or two I can tweak to get it running.

If not, then I'll try RMA'ing the board either for a replacement, or I might try the ASUS P5N-T, but that will basically mean rebuilding my machine...reinstalling the OS and all my apps. I really, really want to avoid that.

I hear you, and I'm not saying it is the DRAM at this point....but I am hoping there might be a setting or two I can tweak to get it running.

If not, then I'll try RMA'ing the board either for a replacement, or I might try the ASUS P5N-T, but that will basically mean rebuilding my machine...reinstalling the OS and all my apps. I really, really want to avoid that.

You are on another system with this one on the bench? Do you have MSN/Yahoo?

You are on another system with this one on the bench? Do you have MSN/Yahoo?

I have Yahoo Messenger if that is what you mean. And yes, I am typing this on another system, with the other sitting right next to me.

• Corsair Employees

Some other user have reported problems with the Striker II and that 8X00 series CPU's so I suspect it is a BIOS issue that will be resolved on the next release.

But can you test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing?

With the help of DerekT (many thanks for sticking with me so long on this) we finally got my system to recognize the memory at 1066MHz.

However, it constantly stalled at the Safe Mode Warning at boot, and required multiple reboots to finally allow us to get to Windows.

Which meant that yes, I had 1066, but every time I had to restart the system I would have to go through 3 - 6 restarts holding down Insert until it finally took 1066 and wouldn't stop at the warning.

Basically it appears to be a voltage issue with some of the EVGA (and other manufactures) boards. I am going to RMA the board with EVGA and try again with a new one that hopefully doesn't have the voltage issue.

That is about where we stand. I'll post again whenever I finally have a new board installed and we'll go from there! Fingers crossed that its a board that doesn't have the same voltage issues.

Ok so I have the same board, but a different problem. I can boot and even run Crysis stable. Where I'm having trouble is when I try to install both sticks of ram. I get the C1 error, which at first I thought was just a voltage error (it had defaulted to 1.8volts). So I pulled one stick and knocked it up to 2.1volts and it still threw the code.

Oddly though it's not throwing any code when I only have one stick installed. I'm not sure if I still have the wrong voltage or if it's possibly hardware. I'm open to some idea's if you have any. TIA!

This afternoon I double checked that it was set at 2.1volts then I tried to pop in the second stick still got the error. Tried to power on with each stick individually and one Fails with a C1 error and the other boots normally. I think UPS was a little rough on the package. Guess I'll be ordering some new sticks and then RMA this stuff... I NEEDS MY GAMES! :D::D:

Good news. It was indeed the motherboard as we suspected I've got the replacement installed and my memory is running at 1066Mhz with no issues. Lesson to all, if your having issues with your 780i board, just RMA it and get a new one right away.

I noticed my new one was a production run later than the first one (run 3 versus 2), so it appears the later boards have the issue under control.

:cool:

Archived