Corsair Community

Asus P5KC Troubles

cjob68

Hi,

I have the Asus P5KC motherboard and the Corsair Twin2x1024 6400 sticks. When I insert both sticks into the A1 & B1 channels the computer won't even POST. However , if I remove 1 of the sticks and leave it in A1 it seems to work fine.

Are there certain memory timings that I'm missing or need to setup ?

Thanks In Advance

• Corsair Employees

Please test both of the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let's make sure one is not failing.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• Corsair Employees

Maybe you missed the directions that were posted previously!

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.0 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Sorry , someone in this post mentioned that RAM guy will be back today to inform me of the RMA method. ( I didn't see the link )

I'm not sure the exact model of the Twin2x1024 6400 because it doesn't appear to be printed on the ram. I notice on the RMA page there are models like "Twin2x1024 6400A" and "Twin2x1024 6400C4" . I'm not sure which one mine is.

Also , do I need to send back both sticks of ram even though only 1 is bad. If I do this my PC will be out of commission till I get them back.

Thanks Again !!

Sorry , someone in this post mentioned that RAM guy will be back today to inform me of the RMA method. ( I didn't see the link )

I'm not sure the exact model of the Twin2x1024 6400 because it doesn't appear to be printed on the ram. I notice on the RMA page there are models like "Twin2x1024 6400A" and "Twin2x1024 6400C4" . I'm not sure which one mine is.

Also , do I need to send back both sticks of ram even though only 1 is bad. If I do this my PC will be out of commission till I get them back.

Thanks Again !!

You need to send both modules back so that you get a twin matched pair back. Two different ICs would cause you problems.

There must be stickers on the modules or they have been taken off. Download CPU-z from http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz_144.zip and look at the SPD Tab, this will tell you the exact DRAM.

• Corsair Employees

And if you have two 512 Meg CM2X512A-6400 Modules then you have a Twin2x1024A-6400 set of modules and that is what you should submit.

But if you have two CM2X1024-6400 modules then you want to submit Twin2x2048-6400 as the part number.

Archived