Corsair Community

HELP! TWIN2X2048-6400C4D v1.2 and v2.1

Jack1626862458

I have 2gb of TWIN2X2048-6400C4D's v1.2 in my system at this time, dual challel, everything runs great. Now I wan't to put in 1gb more of the same TWIN2X2048-6400C4D but I only have v2.1 and v2.2 avalible to me.

Would this be ok? I know the 1xx versions have the micron chips and the 2xx versions have the promo's chips, is it ok to mix these without any conflict?

And are the 2xx versions weaker/slower then the 1xx versions?:sigh!: :roll:

Why not?:confused: What's the worst that can happen?

If they are idetical models and speed, it should be ok? no?

I know a guy who's got 2gb of v2.2 and another 1gb of v2.1, he says everything runs fine without any problems...but then again those are all promo's chips he running.

I think I'll just give it a try with the v2.1 to see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Why not?:confused: What's the worst that can happen?

If they are idetical models and speed, it should be ok? no?

I know a guy who's got 2gb of v2.2 and another 1gb of v2.1, he says everything runs fine without any problems...but then again those are all promo's chips he running.

I think I'll just give it a try with the v2.1 to see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

The worse that can happen is that your system will not work with them. You will have bought DRAM and will not be able to use it.

So sure, give it a try, it's always a dice throw when you do it and just because one person has it working does not mean you will. It's not recommended and it is not supported, but it might work.

Let us know how it goes.

just because one person has it working does not mean you will.

That one person is running all v2xx 3gb, of course it's going to work for him with all promo's chips!!!!!!!

This kinda sucks that If I do get another 1gb of the same model/speed it may not work! IT'S THE SAME MODEL! makes no sense at all! Why did corsair do this???? changing the chips to make older versions incompatible?????????????

:confused:

changing the chips to make older versions incompatible?

Do you really think any DRAM manufacturing/packaging company changes the versions to make them incompatible? They use different processes due to differently manufactured chips. Product changes due to a variety of reasons and incompatibilities are found.

This is across the board, with any DRAM. Different DRAM performs differently and thus there can not be a one size fits all. Different promos can be incompatible.

Promos C5 and Promos C4

Micron C5 and Micron C4

Elpida C5 and Elpida C4

and on and on. Do you expect all companies to be compatible? Even with their own different models? And with different companies and different companies models?

Think of the logic of your question. Step aside of your frustration, irritation, etc and look logically at your question and my answer. You will see that you are expecting too much to ask for a guarantee.

Very likely it will work, but there's no guarantee.

Ok, that makes sense...

After reading through these forums, I learned alot about memory.

Thanks alot for the replys DerekT, you been very helpfull.

I will try the v2.1 with my v1.2's and see how it goes, I'll let you guys know if it worked or not.

Thanks again!;):

Ok, that makes sense...

After reading through these forums, I learned alot about memory.

Thanks alot for the replys DerekT, you been very helpfull.

I will try the v2.1 with my v1.2's and see how it goes, I'll let you guys know if it worked or not.

Thanks again!;):

Sure thing. Let us know how it goes. Keep in ind though, you will very likely have to drop the throughput with 4 DRAM slots being populated. Drop the DRAM from 800Mhz to 667Mhz for stability. This is an issue of the on motherboard memory controller not being able to run 2 kits as fast as it does with one kit. You can very likely recoup much if not all of the lost bandwidth with the overclock.

You may wish to research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

Sure thing. Let us know how it goes. Keep in ind though, you will very likely have to drop the throughput with 4 DRAM slots being populated. Drop the DRAM from 800Mhz to 667Mhz for stability. This is an issue of the on motherboard memory controller not being able to run 2 kits as fast as it does with one kit. You can very likely recoup much if not all of the lost bandwidth with the overclock.

You may wish to research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

I think you may have mis-read what I said, I have 2gb currently and I want to add 1gb, that would be 3 DRAM slots being populated. 1 kit in dual chanell (the one I currently have) and then 1gb more of the version 2.1

I think it should run ok @ 800mhz, if it even works.

I think you may have mis-read what I said, I have 2gb currently and I want to add 1gb, that would be 3 DRAM slots being populated. 1 kit in dual chanell (the one I currently have) and then 1gb more of the version 2.1

I think it should run ok @ 800mhz, if it even works.

I was under the impression you were doing 2 X 1024 plus 2 X 512.

You will lose dual channel mode. It will not even work in Dual Channel Asynchronous let alone Dual Channel Synchronous.

I was under the impression you were doing 2 X 1024 plus 2 X 512.

You will lose dual channel mode. It will not even work in Dual Channel Asynchronous let alone Dual Channel Synchronous.

Why would that be? I don't understand?:confused:

So my RAM would run faster, just the way it is with 2gb dual channel?

And adding 1gb would actually overall slow my RAM?

I'm just curious why the dual channel mode would dissapear? when those modules would remain right where they are...

Thanks again for your help DerekT, I appreciate it!

Why would that be? I don't understand?:confused:

So my RAM would run faster, just the way it is with 2gb dual channel?

And adding 1gb would actually overall slow my RAM?

I'm just curious why the dual channel mode would dissapear? when those modules would remain right where they are...

Thanks again for your help DerekT, I appreciate it!

Dual means doubled. DRAM needs to be doubled to run in Dual Channel mode. The data is transferred along the rise and fall of the sine wave and each channel (stick and slot) needs its own dedicated line of 64 bits to make 128 bit Dual Channel Mode. Your third stick only has one line of 64 bits so can not transfer on both rise and fall of the wave. The two other sticks default to the single channel mode because the memory controller can not run two sticks at dual and one at single channel mode.

Wow I did not know that, it kinda sucks but it makes sense.

One more final question, what would you recommend I do?

What would be a overall better choice?

Stick with the 2gb in dual channel

Or add the 1gb and run 3gb sticks in single channel?

Thanks alot!;):

Wow I did not know that, it kinda sucks but it makes sense.

One more final question, what would you recommend I do?

What would be a overall better choice?

Stick with the 2gb in dual channel

Or add the 1gb and run 3gb sticks in single channel?

Thanks alot!;):

You're welcome :)

Dual channel is far less important for AMD as the HT transport is so fast and the latency is very quick due to the on CPU memory controller. I would personally try the 3GB and see if it works. Drop the command rate to 2T and Memtest with Memtest from http://www.memtest.org Allow for two full passes. If stable, try to set to 1T command rate and retest. Very likely it will not make 1T but it's worth a try.

Now if you want to overclock with those 6400C4 microns, then do not insert the second stick and clock that baby up. You very likely can make some very fine clocks. If you want some help to clock it up, then post in the Enthusiast section as Corsair does not support overclocking.

I would use 3gigs in single is much faster I have tested it with my board which by the way is the same as yours †Jack†. Derek informed me to try both and see what I come up with. Three sticks in single channel are better than two in dual. I used a stop watch (Thanks Derek for the idea) and the three in single is faster. Programs open faster and my computer responds better. :D:

fatalheadache: Thanks, that's good to know, I will try the 3gb in single channel. If the versions work together I will keep it.

DerekT: Yeah the microns are just a tiny bit overclocked, since my CPU would not run full 800mhz, I had to overclock the Ext. clock to 214 making my memory run at 802mhz and my CPU at 3.21ghz. The current timings are 4-4-4-12-2T And I plan on keeping it that way, no need to really drop to 1T if everythings working fine and fast, but I may try it.

I don't really care to overclock them anymore, but I know these baby's can overclock very well. Maybe some time in the future.

Thanks a bunch for all the wise info, I will post back in a few days with my results.:laughing:

I would use 3gigs in single is much faster I have tested it with my board which by the way is the same as yours †Jack†. Derek informed me to try both and see what I come up with. Three sticks in single channel are better than two in dual. I used a stop watch (Thanks Derek for the idea) and the three in single is faster. Programs open faster and my computer responds better. :D:

Are your 3 sticks all the same version?

Thanks again...

Thanks for letting us know your results :) It's always refreshing to see someone giving back :D:

Are your 3 sticks all the same version?

Thanks again...

yeah three of these sticks.. http://www.corsair.com/products/xms2_dhx.aspx .I had four but one failed so I just use three now. Its worked out great I have not had any problems at all. running @3.4 214x16 memory overclocked to 856 if I remember right. Did some test on the load times of many programs and three are better than two. I am running XP pro 64 bit. I only play online games ETQW and of course Crysis :p:

Thanks for letting us know your results :) It's always refreshing to see someone giving back :D:

Started forum a bit back RamGuy helped me get every thing set up which was very good for me. Much thanks to all that helped me out :praise:.

:D:Thanks a bunch DerekT you rock! I have done a lot of testing to be sure every thing is running peachy. You gave me many ideas so I am very thankful. Corsair memory rocks I know many want to push them to the limit which is fine..... But shouldnt complain if you cant overclock them high the speeds are what is listed and they do those speeds without flaw.

Well for me at least have worked with 8 sticks... My bro has the same memory and has not had any issues running four @667. Its Dominator time for me soon :D: Hmm if the wife lets me :rant: She said my computer is fast enough so I will have to wait and see :D: Lots of help I have recieved on here very good forum so many helpful people for sure. Good luck †Jack†

• Corsair Employees
Bottom line we do not suggest mixing memory as it is hit and miss, some MB's just will not run well with 4 modules even if they are all matched. However, if you want to run 4 modules in any MB I would suggest using only our QuadX kits of modules.

Archived