Corsair Community

Twin2X2048-8500C5: SPD not at 1066 in BIOS

timg11

I recently purchased a pair of Corsair Twin2X2048-8500C5 DDR2 1066MHz E.P.P. modules.

I have installed them in a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 V2 motherboard with Intel E6850 (3.0GHz) CPU.

In the BIOS setup, the System Memory Multiplier is set to Auto, and the memory frequency is showing as 800MHz. Shouldn't these memory modules automatically detect from the SPD at 1066MHz?

The CPU Host frequency is 333. I had to change the multiplier to 9X (It defaulted to 8, but the processor was only running at 2.66GHz, and it is rated for 3GHz)

This system is intended for audio and video production, so stability is the most important factor. I do want to get the full 1066MHz performance out of these memories that I paid extra for.

Is the motherboard failing to detect these correctly in the SPD?

When I change the memory multiplier to 3.2, I can get 1066MHz, but the BIOS still shows the SPD value as 800MHz, and also shows red notes about the voltage needing to be optimized. I don't want to get into overclocking and overvoltage - I just want the memory to run at it full rated speed.

Am I missing something?

• Corsair Employees
That is correct the XM2S-8500C5 modules would have their SPD set to something that the MB will be able to see and post at default settings: IE Cas5-5-5-18 at DDR800 at 1.8 Volts. The tested settings would need to be manually set in your BIOS.

Can you tell me the proper settings? I can see that setting the memory multiplier to 3.2 makes the memory clock 1066MHz. But what is the correct voltage? Should I use the motherboards voltage "optimizer" setting? Or are there specific voltage values that are correct for the XM2S-8500C5?

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Enter your BIOS. On the main BIOS screen press Ctrl + F1. You will see the screen flicker. Next select the MB Intelligent Tweaker option. On that screen you will see many additional settings that were not there before.

MIB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)

CPU Clock Ratio = 9

CPU Host Clock Control = Enabled

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) = 333Mhz

PCI Express Frequency = 100Mhz

C.I.A.2 = Disabled

System Memory Multiplier = 3.2

DRAM Timing Selectable = Manual

CAS Latency Time = 5

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay = 5

RAS# Precharge = 5

Precharge Delay (tRAS) = 15

ACT to ACT delay = Auto

Bank Write To READ Delay = Auto

Refresh to ACT Delay = 0

Read to Precharge Delay = Auto

Memory Performance Enhance = Normal

Dimm OverVoltage Control = +.3V (for Versions with 2.1v) or +.4V (for Versions that require 2.2v)

PCI-e OverVoltage Control = Normal

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control = +.01

CPU Voltage Control = Auto

Robust Graphics Booster = Auto

System Memory Multiplier takes the FSB and multiplies it to get the DRAM bandwidth. FSB = 333 so

333 * 2.4 ~= 800Mhz with 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v

333 * 2.6 ~= 865Mhz with 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v

333 * 3.2 ~= 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v

Run memtest on each test. Boot to the optical drive with the memtest disk and allow for two full passes. This will give your quad core a 3.0Ghz and some decent ram throughput.

Ram Guy, I'm confused by the previous post. Please explain. I bought the Twin2X2048-8500C5 because they are designed and specified to support 1066MHz. I want to avoid overclocking and overvoltage to maximize stability and system lifetime.

The previous post by Derek seems to be telling me to increase the DDR voltage by .3 or .4 volts (I don't know which to use, since I don't know which version I have - there was no details about voltages shown on the documentation). That seems to be a pretty big boost, percentage wise. The BIOS highlights the values in purple if you go that high.

My question is: Does the Twin2X2048-8500C5 support 1066MHz operation without overclocking or overvoltage? I would expect it does, since that is the speed it is labeled for.

So do I really need to increase the voltages as much as Derek says? Or do I just set the multiplier to 3.2 and the timing to 5-5-5-15 and everything is ready to go?

Ram Guy, I'm confused by the previous post. Please explain. I bought the Twin2X2048-8500C5 because they are designed and specified to support 1066MHz. I want to avoid overclocking and overvoltage to maximize stability and system lifetime.

The previous post by Derek seems to be telling me to increase the DDR voltage by .3 or .4 volts (I don't know which to use, since I don't know which version I have - there was no details about voltages shown on the documentation). That seems to be a pretty big boost, percentage wise. The BIOS highlights the values in purple if you go that high.

My question is: Does the Twin2X2048-8500C5 support 1066MHz operation without overclocking or overvoltage? I would expect it does, since that is the speed it is labeled for.

So do I really need to increase the voltages as much as Derek says? Or do I just set the multiplier to 3.2 and the timing to 5-5-5-15 and everything is ready to go?

The VERSION # is on the label of the memory: How To Read the Memory Label

As for the voltage settings, he's just paraphrasing Corsair documentation

example: http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57334

IIRC in their testing they do change it to 2.1 or 2.2 volts depending on the version, so it's perfectly safe (and aside from that, it's warrantied to that voltage, so no worries). So yes, bump up the voltage to total 2.1 or 2.2 volts depending on what version you have.

• Corsair Employees
Anything over DDR800 in a DDR2 modules would be over clocking sorry but there are no DDR2-1066 IC's on the market and I am sure they will never have them as 800 MHz is the design limit for DDR2. Above that would be DDR3 memory and another MB.

Derek, you show the (G)MCH OverVoltage Control = +.01. The smallest available setting for G(MCH) is +0.025. Did you mean +0.1?.

I have entered the settings that you indicated, except I put G(MCH) at +0.025, since that was the closest to +0.01.

I left it running MEMTEST overnight. It showed two errors, and then locked up after 6 hours.

Hopefully this is due to the G(MCH) value, and not due to problems with the memory.

Derek, you show the (G)MCH OverVoltage Control = +.01. The smallest available setting for G(MCH) is +0.025. Did you mean +0.1?.

I have entered the settings that you indicated, except I put G(MCH) at +0.025, since that was the closest to +0.01.

I left it running MEMTEST overnight. It showed two errors, and then locked up after 6 hours.

Hopefully this is due to the G(MCH) value, and not due to problems with the memory.

Yes, my error, on that board, +.1v on the MCH. Also, test with a single stick in the first slot closes to the CPU. Then remove that stick and retest with the second stick in place of the first stick.

Be certain to use Memtest86+ version 2.01 from http://www.memtest.org

Derek, I'll try again with the (G)MCH set to +0.1V.

I have attached a couple of screenshots. First running "default" RAM timings and voltages at 800MHz, it runs for hours with no errors. Running at 1066MHz with modified settings, it gets an error and locks up after 6 minutes (not 6 hours as I said before).

I am going to try again with the Memtest 2.01 version you mentioned. I was using 3.4.

Also, what is the objective of testing one module at a time? Dual Channel operation requires two identical modules. I assume the timing for dual channel is more challenging than single channel operation, so wouldn't that be the better test?

800MHz.jpg.c289c472d27564948cf02952006ad027.jpg

1066Mhz.jpg.ff4bca758d0064659951a9084b6a4ddc.jpg

Derek,

Things are looking worse with Ramtest 2.01+ and the (G)MCH setting of +0.1.

See attached image. There are now multiple errors in a few minutes. I'm not sure whether the issue is the (G)MCH voltage or Ramtest 2.01+. Also note that Memtest reports the timing as 5-7-7-15, although I am quite sure the BIOS is set for 5-5-5-15. I assume that is a bug in Memtest?

When I drop back to 800MHz, Memtest 2.01+ reports no errors.

This interminable tweak and test process was what I was trying to avoid by buying a motherboard that explicitly supports 1066MHz (not with the "OC" caveat like some others), and high quality RAM that is tested and guaranteed to support 1066MHz. I guess I was naive to think I could just plug it in and it would work properly....

Do you think I have bad RAM, a bad motherboard, or is there still something else I should be trying?

1602747424_1066withmemtest201.jpg.f67cad93731aef27a275e7a0dedfde58.jpg

• Corsair Employees
What are you setting the memory Voltage to? Should be +.03 for the memory Voltage and please double check the timings as they should show Cas 5-5-5-15. And make sure you load setp/optimized defaults before you start setting the timings and Voltage.

Ram Guy,

You meant +0.3V, not +0.03V for the memory voltage, right? +.03 is not an available option. My modules were labeled 2.1V, so 1.8 + 0.3 = 2.1.

I was unable to set the Refresh to ACT Delay = 0 as suggested previously. When I try to change it, the displayed value always goes back to [Auto]. The default appears to be 42.

I did the Load Optimized Defaults before setting anything and re-set to DIMM overvoltage +0.3 and (G)MCH to +0.1. Timing is 5-5-5-15 as shown in Memtest 2.01.

Unfortunately, it still gets hundreds of errors after a few minutes running. Similar to the 1066 test with Memtest201 screen image attached below. Perfect results at 800MHz.

Any other suggestions?

• Corsair Employees

Yes 2.1 Volts but the BIOS may actually show it as +.03 but yes you are correct it is +.3 Volts for 2.1 Volts!

What if you set the memory frequency at DDR800 will the system run stable? If so I would run it at that and wait for the next BIOS release and see if that does not solve this issue.

Ram Guy,

I have the latest BIOS - F12. I tried moving the memory modules to the other matched color pair of slots. No difference.

I get about 1000 errors per hour at 1066, and no errors when running at 800.

I chose this memory because it was specifically listed by model number by Gigabyte to run at 1066 on their official "supported memory list". I could have spent quite a bit less for 800MHz memory.

Why do you think a future BIOS would fix this problem? Does Gigabyte and/or Corsair already know there is a problem? Or do I need to report this?

• Corsair Employees
The issue is with a 1333 FSB CPU when running the memory at DDR1066 it will not divide out properly from the core CPU Frequency at 333 Mhz and I am sure as the MB and BIOS matures they will refine the BIOS and performance.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia. I can set the CPU host frequency to 400MHz and the CPU multiplier to 8X. This clocks the E6850 at 3.2GHz. The RAM multiplier remains at 2.4, so the RAM is running at 960MHz.

This configuration is stable - it runs Ramtest for hours without an error. I left all the voltages at "Auto" as well.

So maybe there is something wrong with the implementation of the 3.2 memory multiplier for the GA-P35-DS4?

Can you point me to a site that goes into more details on the issues of the CPU host frequency at 333MHz, the FSB at 1333MHz, and the RAM multiplier at 3.2 to give 1066MHz.

There are clearly some other combinations of frequencies that may work better, but I want to understand the issues rather than going with trial and error.

Ram Guy,

I have been corresponding with Gigabyte, trying to get the exact settings they used when they put the CM2X1024-8500C5 on their Qualified list.

Here is their latest response: "We have tested the same memory, but it was an different version We are using ver 4.2, we have checked with Corsair and they no longer have ver 2.1 and it was replaced with the newer version so we are unable to confirmed the issue with the same version which you have. You can try checking with Corsair to see if they can replace to ver 4.2 for you.

Or see the whole thread here http://tinyurl.com/2y7xlg

My question for you - is there any substantial difference between versions of the CM2X1024-8500C5? From the pictures they show, it looks more like the Dominator products, not a newer CMX version.

Should I try to exchange these memories? Or is Gigabyte off on a tangent?

I have the exact same problem. I have a e6750 and i cannot get the memory to post at 1066 without massive errors. I also have asus board. I also have tried two different memories ocz and corsair, its not the memory, its the board.

Listen to corsair guy he's right. The problem is 1333 mhz cpu and memory communicating properly. Pretty much nothing u can do besides either go to a 780i board or wait for bios release. If u confront asus about the problem they simply remind me that the board was not designed to support 1066 mhz memory or 1333 mhz cpu, even know it does.... hmmm.. Anywayz another option can do is clock as high as u can go and tighten the hell outta the timings. I know how you feel though, if they say it will work it should work but thats not always the case =(

Archived