Corsair Community

A64 BASED MOBOS AND CORSAIR PC 3700 & PC4000 IDENTIFIED AND CONFIRMED ISSUE

tenax

on an asus K8V and msi K8T neo board, both with the same equipment (A64-3000 and corsair pc4000 ram- 2-512 meg sticks) the boards would not boot up until i put in a stick of cas 2 or cas 2.5 corair, booted, then reset timings to cas 3, saved rebooted, then shut down and traded the cas 2 or cas 2.5 stick for the corsair pc4000..i say that this problem will exist most likely with corsair 3700 as well given that it is the same timings programmed in spd. i have no non corsair memory to verify with other brands, but can guarantee you i experienced the same problem on both the msi and asus boards..i can only speculate on the issue (spd timings hard programmed? chipset doesn't autodetect cas3, the low latencies with memory controller on die?) this has been reported as an issue at least with pc3700 and pc4000 at the msi forum site and amdmb.com in the asus and msi sections by others as well.. then, there are the people who have the corsair memory as per the units described above and on these same mobos and just hadn't figured out what the problem is to this point. the msi board with the d-bracket and error lights reads it as an "early chipset initialization failure"..the asus board with voice warnings reads it as "cpu failed to start" (it's not a cpu issue in that the cpu fails..it's because the memory controller is on die that it reads that)

• 4 weeks later...
I had the exact same problems using the Corsair 3700 with the MSI board as well. It lost me several hours of sleep the night that I was installing the new mobo in my system because I couldn't get it to boot. :mad: I was able to rob memory from another computer in the house and manually set the timings to 3-4-4-8 as the RamGuy specified and the system works perfectly and has ever since. I have also tried upgrading the bios to 1.20 then to the 1.32b, but in each case I could not boot into bios without having to put the other memory into the system and setting the timings again, then switching back to the 3700. If I had not had the other memory in the house to test, I would have RMAed the whole lot/mobo and all. MSI has really dropped the ball on this one and the bios updates have been lacking.

i'm not so sure it's just msi, given i had the same problem on my asus board..sounds more like either a flaw of the kt800 chipset or in design of cpu..both which unfortunately, are not very 'mature" in a tech sense.

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest XMS3700 or faster with this chipset, as these modules are really made for Intel platform. XMS3200LL or XMS3200 would be a better choice! However if you have these modules, just get the latest bios and set the timings manually to the tested settings and use slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts!

Well, the MSI board will work with the memory, its the default settings that it boots into from a cleared NVRAM that is the problem. If the default was more conservative with the option to tweak, it would be much better. As it is, the default boot configuration will not work. What makes it more glaring, is that the bios release information states that 1.20 addresses the issue and corrects it, which it does not. [quote name='tenax']i'm not so sure it's just msi, given i had the same problem on my asus board..sounds more like either a flaw of the kt800 chipset or in design of cpu..both which unfortunately, are not very 'mature" in a tech sense.[/QUOTE]

• 2 weeks later...
I have tried it with 1.20 1.24b 1.32 and 1.40. Still the same issue. When the NVRAM is cleared it WILL NOT boot with the 3700 memory. I have to put an old stick of 2100 in then manually set the memory timings before it will work with the 3700 memory. MSI blew it and continues to blow it.

Archived