Corsair Community

problem

burito

I have the same issues. However I'm just running the memory at it's specified operating frequency DDR2-800. It's just a mild overclock of the e8400 using p5e-vm hdmi @ 3.6GHz (400fsb x 9; 1:1 memory and fsb). With 2 dimms I can't get no POST. I tested using 1 DIMM and it POST. I swapped with the other and system won't POST. The DIMMs should be matched right? I'm also running them at max 2.1V. Is the other DIMM faulty?

I have the same issues. However I'm just running the memory at it's specified operating frequency DDR2-800. It's just a mild overclock of the e8400 using p5e-vm hdmi @ 3.6GHz (400fsb x 9; 1:1 memory and fsb). With 2 dimms I can't get no POST. I tested using 1 DIMM and it POST. I swapped with the other and system won't POST. The DIMMs should be matched right? I'm also running them at max 2.1V. Is the other DIMM faulty?

Your last post said you were fine. Keep in mind that setting overclocks to value based video on board motherboards can be very problematic and can often end up with boards that are non functional or that will damage the DRAM.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ned=ca&q=P5E+-VM+overclock&sa=N&tab=nw

Your last post said you were fine. Keep in mind that setting overclocks to value based video on board motherboards can be very problematic and can often end up with boards that are non functional or that will damage the DRAM.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ned=ca&q=P5E+-VM+overclock&sa=N&tab=nw

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention I'm using discrete graphics (HD3870) and I already disabled the internal graphics in BIOS. Trying to run memtest now but I don't have a floppy and I'm having trouble booting DOS on usb :[pouts:

Using a discrete graphics card does not take away from the fact that the board was not created with overclocking in mind. It is a value based board, uses value capacitors and is a 5 layer board. Your last post said you were fine. My advice is to remove the overclock on that board. I never advise people to overclock value based boards.

Using a discrete graphics card does not take away from the fact that the board was not created with overclocking in mind. It is a value based board, uses value capacitors and is a 5 layer board. Your last post said you were fine. My advice is to remove the overclock on that board. I never advise people to overclock value based boards.

I disagree with your statement that ASUS didn't have OC in mind when they created this board.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=1912&l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0

Uses 100% All High-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors!

This motherboard uses all high-quality conductive polymer capacitors onboard for durability, improved lifespan, and enhanced thermal capacity.

Precision Tweaker 2

Super-fine Adjustments to Help Create a Brand New O.C Record!

Allows the user to adjust the NB Voltage, FSB termination Voltage, CPU PLL Voltage and the DRAM Voltage in 0.02v steps to finetune voltages to achieve the most precise setting for the ultimate customized overclocking configuration.

If you are happy with it and find the overclock to be fine, then that is what matters. I note that you mentioned in your first post that you were fine on the DRAM. Now you are not. I wonder why? What has changed since your post.

I have the "TWIN2X2048-6400 G" on my P5E-VM HDMI. My system is working fine except sleep mode recovery (Vista Home Premium 32bit) and ASUS asked me to change memory to check but I don't have any extra DIMMS. Are they 100% compatible?

Basically, I suspect that 1 DIMM is faulty. Below is my methodology:

Overclock done using single DIMM.

Test 1st DIMM on overclock settings: DDR2-800 @ 2.1V 5-5-5-15, FSB400, PCIE 100, everything else auto. Board POST and boots to windows.

Swap 2nd DIMM with 1st DIMM. Same OC settings. Board don't POST (Does not even beep).

My conclusion is 2nd DIMM is not matched with 1st DIMM :mad:

I bought the two DIMMs as a kit (should be matched pairs right?).

However, both DIMMS work fine at stock settings. Can I RMA? What's the point of buying kits if they have different limits?

However, both DIMMS work fine at stock settings. Can I RMA? What's the point of buying kits if they have different limits?

If both DIMMS work fine at stock settings, then you have issues with the overclock. Keep in mind that like any hardware, matched does NOT mean that they are identical. They have identical ICs, identical SPD, but just like two CPUs from the same fab can show different overclock characteristics, so can two DIMMs.

Regarding RMA. I would think that you will have no problem with an RMA. RAM GUY will deal with this.

I had the same problem, but I was NOT overclocking... I had 4*1 GB Corsair memory modules loaded into the ASUS P5e-VM HDMI and it would not even post. Try only one and it was fine.

The Fix:

Dont let the BIOS autodetect the memory configuration.. You need to tell the BIOS what it is 5-5-5-12 or whatever you have.. All mine were matched as well..

Once I told the BIOS what memory it had, it has run perfect since...

Your RAM Modules are not faulty..

Regards,

Robert

Archived