Corsair Community

RAM or MB issue?

cho1594

Hi!

Two weeks ago I have bought a new computer. My system specs are:

New computer:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3600 Mhz (400x9)

MBO: Asus P5E (X38 Chipset)

RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 Corsair (PC-6400) @ 800 MHz CL (4-4-4-12)

GPU: Club3D 8800 GT 512 MB @ (600/1500/900) MHz

HDD: Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 SATA

OD1: Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-111D

OD2: Pioneer DVD-RW DVD-115D

PSU: Enermax Infiniti 720W (56A@12V)

Old computer:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2200 MHz

MBO: Abit KN9 Ultra (nVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra (MCP55U))

RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 Kingmax (PC-6400) @ 800 MHz

GPU: Club3D 8800 GT 512 MB @ (600/1500/900) MHz

HDD: Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 SATA

HDD: Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 SATA

HDD: Seagate 320 GB 7210.10 UATA

ODR: NEC DVD-RW ND-4550A

PSU: Enermax Infiniti 720W (56A@12V)

When I have installed Windows XP I have noticed that my computer is acting slower than my older computer expecially when I play games (COD4 Multiplayer - screen lags, vsync ON). I have decided to test components and I have nothing found until I have run Memtest86+. Memtest86+ 2.01 showed 5000+ errors (5 hours testings) with TWIN2X1024-6400C4 CL 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V. I have decided to lower the latencies to 5-5-5-18 but errors were still there. After that, I have tried to test each RAM separately and one stick was good (no errors) while the other showed the errors. I thought: "OK, faulty stick". After that, I have installed Kingmax PC-6400 RAM that was in my older computer and the Memtest86+ showed errors on "Test #6", 4 errors I think. I am confused now. Is that a motherboard issue (ASUS P5E, BIOS 0502, Corsair TWIN2X1024-6400C4 is on QVL) or it could be a RAM issue?

• Corsair Employees
If both of our modules were tested in the same slot on the board at our tested settings and one of them is failing, we will want to get the set replaced for you. If you want to be sure, you could try testing them in a different system, but it sounds like you may have a faulty module. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

If both of our modules were tested in the same slot on the board at our tested settings and one of them is failing, we will want to get the set replaced for you. If you want to be sure, you could try testing them in a different system, but it sounds like you may have a faulty module. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

I've tested the modules in my old system (MB: Abit KN9 Ultra) and both modules have passed the tests without errors. Could it be that this is a MB memory controller issue? But, then again, how could it be that one memory module is faulty on ASUS P5E and on ABIT KN9 Ultra is OK? The most confusing part is that one Corsair module is running without any errors on P5E but the other is showing errors, but when ran on ABIT KN9 Ultra there are no errors? :)

Maybe just the new MB is a bit more picky with memory. What are the exact BIOS settings you had set for both CPU and memory and did you have legacy USB Disabled when you ran http://www.memtest.org?

TWIN2X1024-6400C4 is on ASUS QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for P5E MB. I ran the tests using following settings:

1. FSB = 333 MHz (stock), CPU: 3000 MHz (9x333)

DRAM = DDR2-800 MHz (both 4-4-4-12 (2.1V) & 5-5-5-18)

other settings set to "AUTO"

legacy USB disabled

2. FSB: 400 MHz CPU: 3600 MHz (9x400)

(I wanted 1:1 FSB:DRAM ratio for a sync mode)

DRAM: DDR2-800 MHz (both 4-4-4-12 (2.1V) & 5-5-5-18)

DRAM Voltage: 2.1V

VCORE Voltage: 1.25V

other settings set to "AUTO"

legacy USB disabled

I have updated BIOS to version 0502 using ASUS Online update, the update went without any problems.

Lower the CPU multiplier and set the TRC to 24 and set the command Rate if its listed to 2t.

But my multiplier is set to default (x9). I have set TRC to 24 and CR to 2T but nothing has changed. The insteresting part is when I ran memtest it shows errors constantly on same 3 memory locations.

If you are over clocking the CPU you will have to lower the CPU Multiplier as you raise the CPU Frequency.

At the moment my system is running at stock speeds meaning that my FSB frequency is set to 333 MHz. I am not looking for Extreme OC, I just wanted to raise FSB to 400 MHz so FSB:DRAM ratio could be 1:1. I have tried to lower my RAM timings to 5-5-5-18-10-42-6-10 but this hasn't resolved the issue. I wonder, how could it be that TWIN2X-6400C4 is on ASUS QVL for P5E MB and I have errors running memtest while on the other hand I don't experience any problems (0 errors) on my old rig? (Athlon64 X2 4200+, Abit KN9 Ultra MB (nForce 570 chipset))

That would suggest a BIOS or MB Problem with your new system, do you have the latest BIOS version? If so try and go back a version and see if that helps.

I was thinking to downgrade my BIOS version but I can't downgrade to a previous version while the Wolfdale processors need 0502 BIOS version or higher (at the moment there is a new 0602 BIOS version but it's still a BETA version). I was wondering, could the MB issue seriously affect whole system performance? I'll write an example. I download a lot of binaries from the news servers and when I have to check the downloaded RAR's for errors with Quickpar, Quickpar finds those errors but when I try to repair the files I get the message that the repair failed. Sometimes the repair process passes after several tries, sometimes not. When I copy the files to my Server PC (Abit KN9 Ultra) system everything goes smoothly. The most interesting part is when I just copy the files over to Server PC HDD and run the tests and repair from my Client PC (ASUS P5E, TWIN2X-6400C4) everything goes smoothly too. All the processes are run on my Client PC except the usage of mapped network HDD on Server PC. I don't think that I have a faulty HDD on a new system too, SMART status is OK.

I'm really getting frustrated with this issue...

We have ordered this MB and will test it in the coming weeks, have you checked with ASUS or can you test the modules on another MB?

I have tested the modules on Abit KN9 Ultra (Socket AM2, nForce 570 chipset) and the modules have passed the tests without any errors. It seems to be a MB issue. I have contacted the the ASUS Support and they have replied to my inquiry:

Dear Milan,

It's weird situation really.

Try that "bad" stick in another slot. Run Memtest according dual/single channel settings.

Can try increase a bit NB voltage, actual voltage you can see at hardware monitor in bios.

If still dual/single fails - shoud RMA this MB - northbridge ram controller works wrong.

Regards,

---------- Original Message ----------

Sent : 2008-03-03 18:08:07

To : "tsd@asus.com.tw"

Subject : <TSD> Motherboard P5E

[CASEID=WTM200803031724417791]

Apply date : 3/3/2008 5:24:41 PM

[Contact Information]

*Name : Milan Gvozdic

*Email Address : milan.gvozdic1@zg.t-com.hr

Phone Number :

City :

[Product Information]

*Product Type : Motherboard

*Product Model : P5E

*Product S/N : 7BMCAC140674

Place of Purchase :

*Date of Purchase : 2008/2/7

[Motherboard Specification]

*Motherboard Revision : 1.03g

*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 0502

[VGA Card Specification]

*VGA Card Vendor : Club3D

*VGA Card Model : 8800GT

*VGA Card Chipset : nVidia

*VGA Card Driver : 169.21

[CPU Specification]

*CPU Vendor : Intel

*CPU Type : Socket775

*CPU Speed : E8400 3.00 GHz

[Memory Specification]

*Memory Vendor : Corsdair

*Memory Model : DDRAM2

*Memory Capacity : TWIN2X1024-6400C4

[HDD Specification]

HDD Vendor :

HDD Model :

HDD Capacity :

[Add-on Card Specificatio]

Add-on Card Vendor :

Add! -on Card Type :

Add-on Card Model :

*Operating System : WinXP

[Problem Description]

Greetings! I am experiencing problems with my configuration so I have decided to test components and I have nothing found until I have run Memtest86+. Memtest86+ 2.01 showed 5000+ errors (5 hours testings) with TWIN2X1024-6400C4 CL 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V (memory on ASUS QVL for P5E). I

have decided to lower the latencies to 5-5-5-18 but errors were still there. After that, I have tried to test each RAM separately and one stick was good (no errors) while the other stick showed the errors.

I thought: "OK, faulty stick". After that, I have installed Kingmax PC-6400 RAM that was in my older computer and memtest showed less errors but errors were still there. I have tested both Corsair and

Kingmax memory on my old system (Athlon64 X2 4200+, Abit KN9 Ultra) and Memtest86+ 2.01 didn't show any errors! Is that a motherboard is! sue (ASUS P5E, BIOS 0502, Corsair TWIN2X1024-6400C4

is on QVL) or it could be a RAM issue?"

The problem is that I don't know which ASUS motherboard should I choose if I RMA it. I have contacted the main ASUS distributor here in Croatia (Europe) and they told me to they'll replace the P5E but I'll have to choose anoter ASUS MB. I have browsed the ASUS forum and most of the people are experiencing the same problems with the only other ASUS X38 MB which supports DDR2 (Maximus Formula). If the service replace my current motherboard with Maximus Formula and If I would experience same problems with it will I be able to contact the main Corsair distributor in my country

(http://www.esys.hr/principali.aspx) and kindly ask them to replace my Corsair TWIN2X1024-6400C4 for some other Corsair modules which will be compatible with this MB and which modules would you suggest I should choose? I would pay the difference in price for those modules, of course.

• Corsair Employees

You would need to go back through the reseller you purchased them from and that would be up to them. But normally they will not take memory back if it has been more than a few weeks.

However, you can RMA them to use and we can replace them but for the same part number only.

Archived