Corsair Community

3 BSOD ...cosair ram faulty?

Philgag

First here some system spec : asus m2a-vm, Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 5-5-5-12 1.9volt ,5200+, nothing overclocked.

I have vista 64bits installed and fully up to date.

in about 3 week, i had about 3 bsod, in vorious situation... 1 was page fault in non paged area and 2 were driver irql not less or equal.

I have the ram set up at 1.9 volt in the bios. ran memtest and it completed 3 pass successfully..

any tips? bad memory? bad mobo?

thanks

If you passed memtest, then the issue is very likely external to the DRAM. It will not hurt to set the DRAM to 2.0v. Please enter Here and specifically set down your system components.

Set your system to show a blue screen and halt at the blue screen. This will give you information.

Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Startup and Recovery --> Settings --> System Failure --> Uncheck "Automatically Restart" and then set the drop down box to show "Small memory Dump (64KB)

The next time you have a blue screen, write down the entire stop event. Then set your folders to show hidden files and folders. Go to your Windows folder and look for a sub-folder called "Minidump". You will find a file (s) there with the extension of .dmp. Open them up in MS-Word Pad (Not Notepad) and look for the file name that uninitiated the memory dump.

This will give you a clue as to the issue origination.

Have you performed a Hard Drive Diagnostics? I have seen more Samsung Spinpoint 250's returned than you can imagine. A poor model if there ever was one.

SHUTIL (Diagnostic Utility for New Drives) v2.10 (10.08.2007)

SHUTIL (The Drive Diagnostic Utility) is made with the aim of testing a Samsung hard disk drive while it is installed inside a PC, regardless of the status of user’s operating system. In fact of the drives returned to Samsung, a large percentage are NTF(“No Trouble Found”) after testing. So it is strongly recommended to test the drive if it is truly defective by a few fundamental troubleshooting of Hutil first, to avoid user’s unnecessary effort and inconvenience of replacing a good drive.

View Additional Information (Direct Link) Use this link to download SHUTIL and burn the ISO image to a CD. Boot to the CD and test this drive.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ran memtest 2.0 overnight, 8 hours walltime , completed 10 pass ... no errors @ 2.0 volts. Keep it mind that I had no errors in 3 pass last time @ 1.9v. I am using the onboard video and its taking 128mb reserved (per bios setting) I'm now re-running memtest with the video only at 32 mb, if that makes a difference... but that ram look perfect to me.

Had 2 "page fault in non paged area" and 2 "driver irql not less or equal" ... coundnt note anything because system rebooted itself. I have made the appropriate settings now to be able to note and understand whats happening if it strike again... thanks for the help every one!

• 2 weeks later...
a little update on my issue.... after upping the memory voltage to 2.0 and flashing to lastest bios, all went well for one week ....ran benchamrks,orthos sp2004 for 12 hours without issues...then I had a other BSOD. A new one! :) This time it was MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_ERROR BSOD while surfing the web... found a forum that states that this could be related to the realtek lan driver. I'll tryto find an update of some sort...

little update: no bsod since the updated realtek lan driver. Driver from asus was released in 2008 but was really a mid-2007 release. Got the lastest from realtek website from early march 2008 for vista x64 and no crash since then. I've addes 2x1gb more of the same corsair ram for a total on 4gb on the m2a-vm. at stock timings, 2.0v I completed 12 hours memtest with 0 errors. Very happy so far, thanks for the great products.

Archived