Corsair Community

Corsair Twin2X Dominator 1024MB PC8500 (1066Mhz) Boot Up Issues

two5om

Hi Guys,

My system used to have x2 Corsair Dominator Twinx/XMS2-8500/C5D (2048MB)

Today I went out and purchased another x2 Corsair Dominator Twinx/XMS2-8500/C5D modules so now I have a total of 4096MB of physical memory using up all 4 of my banks.

I also purchased Vista Ultimate 64bit as I would like to utilise the entire amount of 4GB RAM.

I have been experiencing major issues when just trying to install the OS.

Whilst Vista is in the process of copying the system files during install my rig will just Blue Screen, auto restart and prompt to boot again but in Safe Mode, Last known good config ect.

I have followed RAM Guy's instructions on configuring the "Corsair Dominator Twinx/XMS2-8500/C5D" modules in BIOS from the following link but still no go.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54052

At times when I make the changes in BIOS, save my system fails and locks up at POST at the ROG wallpaper resulting in me having to clear my CMOS over and over again.

So I now have 4 sticks of 1024MB and since they were purchased 2 weeks apart from each other, two of them says version 1.2 and the other two say version 4.1 (is this a major problem?)

Ram Guy says to either set DDR voltage to either 2.1 ot 2.2 based on what version you have, so now because of the different versions of my modules, I'm confused but I have tried both 2.1 and 2.2 voltage and my system is still unstable.

Also at the link I previously mentioned, Ram Guy also says to "DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz" so my question is:

Why do I have to set it to PC6400 speeds when I am running PC8500 modules (wouldn't this hinder system performance?)

The link called "Twin2x2048-6400C3DF Data Sheet" states that these modules have been tested and are abe to run at 1066Mhz at 5-5-5-15 at 2.1v?

Please advise, provide feedback and thanks in advance guys...

two5om

Hi Guys,

I found some more information from a post in another forum regarding the issue I'm experiencing so do you guys think it is because I'm using 4 memory modules, which is causing the problem?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pros: The only thing good about this RAM is that I could get it to work in a two module configuration.

Cons: It just doesn't ever work in a 4 module configuration. Even at standard 800mhz bus speeds. Fails memtest86+ in about 10 minutes every time. I had 6 different sticks of this stuff and no combination would ever work for 4G of RAM (and yes they were all the same revision). Incidentally, I had this same issue with Corsair DDR1 products as well. I gave it a second chance but now I've learned my lesson.

Other Thoughts: Save yourself a ton of frustration and RMA costs by skipping this if you plan to use 4 modules. After RMA I went with another well known brand and they worked flawlessly first shot at the rated settings without any tweaking at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your thoughts guys?

two5om

Corsair Twin2X Dominator 1024MB PC8500 v1.2 (1066Mhz) - 5-5-5-15

Corsair Twin2X Dominator 1024MB PC8500 v4.1 (1066Mhz) - 5-5-5-15

........................XMS850X v1.X...MICRON.........64Mx8...Rev.D (2.2 Volts)

........................XMS850X v4.X...PSC..............128Mx8 (2.1 Volts)

You're mixing 2 different ICs, which modern memory controllers don't like to do at all. Your best bet is to return them and get QUAD2X4096-8500C5 series instead, which IIRC, is 4 x 1 GB sticks tested together @ the rated speed. You may be able to do an RMA to accomplish this instead of going to the store, but that's up to Corsair of course.

BTW, your system specs are already in your profile and in the dropdown, no need to post them!

Hi Wired,

Thanks for the reply mate.

I have done some thorough testing and would like yours or RAM Guy's feedback based on my findings.

You previously advised that it was because I was mixing different modules and that is why I am experiencing so many

instability issues.

See below:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Performed tests using only x2 1024 modules with BIOS set BIOS to default settings with the expection of DDR RAM

voltage manually set to 2.20v

ABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY INSTALL VISTA ULTIMATE 64BIT

Performed tests again using only x2 1024 different revision modules with BIOS set to default settings with the

expection of DDR RAM voltage manually set to 2.20v and also with SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T, SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay

(tRCD): 5T, SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T and SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T

Performed tests once again using only x2 1024 different revision modules with BIOS set to default settings with the

expection of DDR RAM voltage manually set to 2.20v and also with SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T, SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay

(tRCD): 5T, SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T, SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T and DDR2 SDRAM Clock manually

set to 1066MHz

The moment that all x4 memory modules are installed I then experience the same instability issues regarding BIOS

POST and unable to install Vista Ultimate 64bit due to Blue Screen errors

So as you can see I've mixed the different revisions of modules and was still able to successfully install Vista

Ultimate 64bit (using ONLY 2 modules)

Would it be safe to say that using x4 Corsair modules just simply don't work even with the latest/current

motherboards that are currently on the market...

Your thoughts Wired and RAM Guy?

Thanks again guys for your help.

two5om

Hi RAM Guy,

CPU settings was left at defaults as I only made changes to RAM settings, which is listed below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Performed tests once again using only x2 1024 different revision modules with BIOS set to default settings with the expection of DDR RAM voltage manually set to 2.20v and also with SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T, SDRAM RAS to CAS delay

(tRCD): 5T, SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T, SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T and DDR2 SDRAM Clock manually set to 1066MHz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system successfully boots and able to successfully install Vista setting RAM speed to either 800Mhz or 1066Mhz.

If my system runs on the faster speed then I prefer running/using 1066Mhz but as I previously stated all my issues start when I install all x4 1024MB modules.

People have said that using x4 Corsair RAM modules is asking for trouble so I'm trying to find out if Australian retailers carry/stock the below Corsair:

Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF PC2-8500 4GB Kit 5-5-5-15 240pin DIMM (x2 of 2048MB modules)

Would you know if the above is available in Australia?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks RAM

two5om

Hi Guys,

Just want to let you know that I have returned the x4 1024MB modules and have exchanged them for the below Dominator modules:

Corsair Twin2X Dominator 2048MB PC8500 v1.1 (1066Mhz) - 5-5-5-15

The above two modules are identical in every way but guess what?

Again, whilst Vista Ultimate 64bit is in the process of copying the system files during install my rig will just Blue Screen, auto restart and prompt to boot again but in Safe Mode, Last known good config ect.

This afternoon I have flashed my BIOS to the latest revision 0902 and still nothing.

I have tried to many change variations and combinations in BIOS and I still can't sort out this issue, I feel like giving up. :mad:

UNABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY INSTALL VISTA ULTIMATE 64BIT

Please help guys...

two5om

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org!

If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

If they both pass then please install the O.S. with just one module installed and then you will need to install MS patch 929777 from Microsoft for more than 3 GIG in Win Vista. You can search for it at http://www.microsoft.com. Just make sure you have the correct version of the patch for the version of O.S. you have.

Hi RAM Guy,

I have re-installed Vista 64bit again (clean install) but only with 2GB installed.

Once I'm in, I'll install the MS KB929777 for Vista 64bit, shut down, install the additional 2GB and attempt to load the OS.

I shall keep you posted mate.

Here goes, wish me luck guys.

ValiumMm,

Below are the specs of the modules I'm running.

I also went to speak to Michael (AusPC) yesterday and he said he said ordered 5 and I got the last one.

They been selling like hot cakes but Michael did say that he was going to order more ASAP.

I checked the AusPC site but it seems that they are still out of stock.

=AL-TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF&input[category_id]=1573"]http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=AL-TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF&input[category_id]=1573

I'll keep both of you guys posted on how I go.

Be back in about 10mins.

two5om

Hi RAM Guy,

I thought I already confirmed that I'm no longer using x4 1024MB as I have already returned/exchanged them for the below:

Would just like to let you know that I ran/completed the Vista Ultimate 64bit install with only 2048MB installed, which I managed to do successfully.

Once OS was installed I then downloaded/installed the Microsoft KB929777 patch, shut down the system, installed the additional 2048MB.

My system is now able to successfully boot up and operate with a total of 4096MB installed so looks like it did the trick.

Maybe this was the issue the entire time, even with the x4 1024MB modules but unfortunately this fix regarding KB929777 was not mentioned until now.

I suggest that if it hasn't been done so already to make this fix a sticky post as I'm sure it'll resolve a lot of peoples issue with trying to install/utilise Vista with excess of 2GB of physical memory installed.

Your thoughts RAM Guy?

Thanks again

two5om

Thanks for the heads up DerekT. I've combined / consolidated the two threads.

I thought I already confirmed that I'm no longer using x4 1024MB
You did, however you have not changed your profile's specs. I have changed this for you.

Archived