Corsair Community

What ICs are used for TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF?

OK, it looks like they use PSC ICs. I have no clue what that means, I never heard of them before. Are they as good as Microns? IE:

-can I go higher then 1066MHz?

-Does it scale well at higher voltage?

-What voltage are these ICs/Ram warranty at?

Do not expect overclocks on 2GB sticks to be the same as you will get with 1GB sticks. It's just not possible. There are no Micron 2GB strips. Micron has discontinued DDR2 R&D and Creation.

I have worked with 5 sets of 8500's and found 550 to 560 the highest so far. I have not found any lowering of timings with raising of voltages. I have worked with two different companies of the DRAM and they both were of the same IC manufacturing processing and both responded identically. Another product of 8000's were the same except 1066 did not work, but 1000 did. This leads me to believe that these are pretty much all you can expect. One person who took his 8500's (another manufacturer) (Look at http://www.ocforums.com) killed his with 555Mhz (1110) and 2.1.v.

Look to Corsair to release 9136 models as Corsair tests at the IC and module level with handpicking of singular IC's.

• Corsair Employees
CM2X1024-8500C5D/F

........................XMS850X v1.X...MICRON.........64Mx8...Rev.D (2.2 Volts)

........................XMS850X v2.X...Qimonda........64Mx8...70Nm (2.1 Volts)

........................XMS850X v3.X...Elpida............64Mx8...(2.2 Volts)

........................XMS850X v4.X...PSC..............128Mx8 (2.1 Volts)

These are the IC's we use to make XM2S-8500C5DF but at this time all XM2S-8500C5DF and only the C5DF model is made with Micron the non DF will be Micron, Elpida, or PSC IC's

Thanks for the replies everyone. What I want to do is replace my current PC8500 CDF twin pack and use 4 Gigs instead of 2. I am currently uses:

-E8400

-Maximus Formula @ 400 FSB @ 3.60GHz

-Ram 5-5-5-12 all subtiming is auto

-ram voltage at 2.02V (in bios) Everest reads 2.128V

All I really want to do is replace the 2 Gigs of PC8500 I currently Have for 4 Gig. In hopes of gaining better performance. Do I have to increase voltage? What the highest warranty voltage at with 4 Gig version?

DerekT:

If 550 is the highest FSB you can get what was teh Dram Frequency on the ram? Also, could you provide FSB strap? I would appreciate that a bunch :)

DerekT:

If 550 is the highest FSB you can get what was teh Dram Frequency on the ram? Also, could you provide FSB strap? I would appreciate that a bunch :)

No, you misunderstand me. 550 was the highest data rate. 550 (DDR = 1100)Mhz on the DRAM, not the CPU.

You would have to sell the DRAM you have and purchase a 4GB kit though. You might be able to go through your retailer to send back yours but something tells me that you have had the original kit for some time and that would not be workable, so you very likely will have to find another avenue to sell your 4 X 1024 and then purchase 2 X 2048.

I've never made 550 on any FSB. I'm currently running 400Mhz Strapping with 400Mhz FSB X 9 = 3.6Ghz on my C2Q with 1340Mhz (2 X 1024 of PC10000 1250) on my gaming system and 2 X 2048 of 8500C4 at 1066Mhz. There's no use in clocking up the 2GB strips as far as I can see at the moment. They do not respond well to voltages and the overclock is minimal. I have tested three different products of PSC IC's, being the 8000's, 8500's and have found this on all of them. Even so, getting 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15 on 4GB is enough for my Server. As far as my gaming machine goes, there are no games that I have seen that show a benefit from 2 --> 4GB and this included Crysis. VISTA and Crysis do not play well no matter what so VISTA is a gaming moot point at this time, again as far as I am concerned. I just run the High "Q" hack on XP and it looks great.

No, you misunderstand me. 550 was the highest data rate. 550 (DDR = 1100)Mhz on the DRAM, not the CPU.

You would have to sell the DRAM you have and purchase a 4GB kit though. You might be able to go through your retailer to send back yours but something tells me that you have had the original kit for some time and that would not be workable, so you very likely will have to find another avenue to sell your 4 X 1024 and then purchase 2 X 2048.

I've never made 550 on any FSB. I'm currently running 400Mhz Strapping with 400Mhz FSB X 9 = 3.6Ghz on my C2Q with 1340Mhz (2 X 1024 of PC10000 1250) on my gaming system and 2 X 2048 of 8500C4 at 1066Mhz. There's no use in clocking up the 2GB strips as far as I can see at the moment. They do not respond well to voltages and the overclock is minimal. I have tested three different products of PSC IC's, being the 8000's, 8500's and have found this on all of them. Even so, getting 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15 on 4GB is enough for my Server. As far as my gaming machine goes, there are no games that I have seen that show a benefit from 2 --> 4GB and this included Crysis. VISTA and Crysis do not play well no matter what so VISTA is a gaming moot point at this time, again as far as I am concerned. I just run the High "Q" hack on XP and it looks great.

I am using 2 sticks of PC8500, sorry for the confusion. In any case thanks for the info!

WHat is High "Q"...

Okay, once again:

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF are using Microns?

In every forum you support people are saying something different.

There is only one revision of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, right?

What ICs/ Chips are they using?

Thanks

Read the thread. Only PSC IC's are in the 2GB strips of "ANY" 2GB 8500's.

There are no Micron 2GB strips. Micron has discontinued DDR2 R&D and Creation.

OK,

as I promised:

2x2GB Micron based modules by ********:

http://********.com/eu/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BL2KIT25664AR804

4GB kit (2GBx2), Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs), DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module

BL2KIT25664AR804

That Company often uses other ICs and this is the case again. These are Elpida 6400's and not Microns.

Please show where these are Micron Based ICs. Also, look at that companies lower end DRAM such as Rendition, which are also not based on Micron IC's. Micron is not creating any more DDR2, but that does not mean that this company (which is only a subsidiary and is a business entirely of it's own standing) is tied to only using Micron based ICs.

There are no Micron 2GB strips. Micron has discontinued DDR2 R&D and Creation.

I did some research:

Micron's DDR2-1066 memory is leading the industry with the fastest speeds for component and module devices. With a speed of 1066 Mb/s, Micron's latest devices easily meet the industry demand for increased speeds and improved bandwidth.

Micron's latest DDR2-1066 devices were designed on 78nm process technology and operate at JEDEC-standard 1.8V, so upgrading doesn't require any system redesign. The devices have been built off of 1Gb DDR2 memory, and modules range in density from 1GB-2GB. Learn more about our DDR2-1066 parts by visiting the component part catalog. For DDR2-1066 modules, see the module part catalog.

http://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr2/

Well, so there might be some 2GB Micron-based modules in the future.

You never know. If the price differential between DDR3 and DDR2 remains, the it is entirely possible that Micron re-enters the fray. I doubt that there will be much overclock headroom though so DDR3 will continue to show the Enthusiast market that the move is worthwhile. Clearly most of their DDR2 is EOL and I see no redesign implementation even though they talk about it on their pages.

Not in EOL (End of Life)

http://www.micron.com/products/dram/ddr2/partlist.aspx?status=Sampling

• 2 weeks later...
These are the IC's we use to make XM2S-8500C5DF but at this time all XM2S-8500C5DF and only the C5DF model is made with Micron the non DF will be Micron, Elpida, or PSC IC's

Do you see an issue using 2 x 1 gig of ver. 2.X (2.1 V) with 2 x 1 gig of Ver. 4.1 on an EVGA 780i ? Can I run all 4 linked and synced? Timings 5,5,5,15,2T ?

Archived