Corsair Community

TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX and P5E3 Deluxe

CTUEdger

I have just completed building a new system with the specs in my profile.

I think I might have fixed the instability in Vista Home Premium 64 bit Edition by increasing the DRAM voltage, FSB Termination voltage and NB voltage as described below but I would like to feedback from the knowledgeable experts.

I have set the BIOS to the following:

AI Overclock: Manual

CPU Ratio Control: Manual

CPU Ratio Setting: 9

FSB Strap to North bridge: 333MHz

FSB Frequency: 333 MHz

PCIE Frequency: AUTO

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333 MHz

Command Rate: 2T

DRAM Timings Control: Manual

CAS# Latency:___________9

RAS# to CAS# Delay:______9

RAS# Precharge:__________9

RAS# Activate to Precharge:24

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage:__________Auto

CPU PLL Voltage:_______Auto

DRAM Voltage:_________1.62V

FSB Termination Voltage:_1.20V (NOTE:For 45nm Penryn CPU, BIOS AUTO Default is 1.10v)

North Bridge Voltage:____1.41V

C1E Support: Disabled

CPU TM Function: Disabled

All other settings not listed are Auto which is BIOS Default Default

The MB is an Asus P5E3 Delux WiFi with BIOS version 1001 (the latest) and board revision 1.03G.

Two 2GB kits (4 DDR3 DIMMS total) of Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX revision 3.1

Corsair 620HX power supply revision B2W

Vista 64 bit would just freeze randomly after about 30-60 minutes never lasting past 60 minutes without a lock-up. What is strange is that the USB keyboard and USB mouse would power down as if they were unplugged. The LED on the bottom the the mouse would turn off and the LED on the keyboard (Num Lock) would go out and I could not get the other keyboard LED's to come on. I moved the mouse and keyboard to different USB ports just as a troubleshooting measure.

As I stated above I was getting instability in Vista 64 bit, but after increasing the aforementioned voltages, it seems to be stable.

I ran memtext86 version 2.00 and 2.01 with four passes each and get zero errors. I also ran HCI Design MemTest 3.6 (from within Vista) with three passes and get zero errors.

I am running the DDR3 at DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) with four (4) DIMMs.

Is this a good combination of voltages to get the system stable?

Should I just return the two 2GB kits of TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX and get one kit of 4GB TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX?

I am running at stock speeds with no overclocking of the memory or CPU.

I want to run at stock DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) speed.

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Download memtest from
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

One set of 2 X 2048 stick kits are always far easier than 2 sets of 2 X 1024 kits.

With four DRAM banks being populated, you need to drop your DRAM throughput. The on motherboard memory controller can not access and load the DRAM as fast with four banks populated as it can with two banks populated. You can,through the overclock, regain some or all of the lost bandwidth, but first you need to find stability. Set to DDR3-1111 and test with Memtest. When stable, we can move on to work on bandwidth regaining.

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes.

Results?

DerekT,

Thank you for your reply! I did test with memtest86 2.00 and 2.01 this past weekend booting from a CD made from the ISO downloadable image with four full passes at DDR3-1333 and it passed with zero errors. I also ran a different program called HCI Design MemTest 3.6 (from within Vista) with three passes and get zero errors. I will test with DDR3-1111 later tonight and post back the results. But I suspect that it will work since it did complete four full passes with the bootable CD memtest86 which resulted in zero errors at DDR3-1333.

I understand the added stress on the x38 MCH on the motherboard, but I am having a hard time understanding why for DIMMs will not be stable. Did ASUS (and Intel with the x38 MCH) not design the board to handle four 1GB DDR3 DIMMs? In the ASUS QVL it states four modules from a competing memory manufacture will work, but I wanted to go with Corsair because I like the quality of the Corsair product. :biggrin:

Thnk You again DerekT.

DerekT,

Thank you for your reply! I did test with memtest86 2.00 and 2.01 this past weekend booting from a CD made from the ISO downloadable image with four full passes at DDR3-1333 and it passed with zero errors. I also ran a different program called HCI Design MemTest 3.6 (from within Vista) with three passes and get zero errors. I will test with DDR3-1111 later tonight and post back the results. But I suspect that it will work since it did complete four full passes with the bootable CD memtest86 which resulted in zero errors at DDR3-1333.

I understand the added stress on the x38 MCH on the motherboard, but I am having a hard time understanding why for DIMMs will not be stable. Did ASUS (and Intel with the x38 MCH) not design the board to handle four 1GB DDR3 DIMMs? In the ASUS QVL it states four modules from a competing memory manufacture will work, but I wanted to go with Corsair because I like the quality of the Corsair product. :biggrin:

Thnk You again DerekT.

The issue is not that 4 DRAM Slots being populated will not work. The issue is that the on motherboard memory controller needs to work harder to access and load four banks of DRAM than it does with two banks of DRAM. I am certain you can understand the logic of this. To gain stability, it is advisable to drop the bandwidth when one populates all four DRAM slots. Those who do not do this, can often find longer term stability is effected. There are four possibilities when you populate all four DRAM banks with the full speed of the dual kits abilities.

Firstly, the system never becomes stable. This is becoming more and more unlikely as hardware manufacturers are dealing with this issue.

Secondly, the system becomes stable when you drop the DRAM's bandwidth. This is the most common method of dealing with such instabilities.

Thirdly, the system is stable at the full speed of the two banks with four banks populated. Issues do occur in the long term and they can be physical issues that damage the DRAM to the point of RMA. This is not uncommon but not as common as the previous second possibility.

Fourthly, the system is stable at the full speed of the two banks with four banks populated and is long term stable. This is rather uncommon but does occur and occurs enough that some brag about it, leading yet others to attempt this and find that sadly, the other possibilities occur.

I usually post the below analogy and description. It is my own interpretation to help with understanding the issue. This issue is across the board (no pun intended) with both AMD and Intel.

When you populate all four DRAM banks you will very likely need to drop your bandwidth to allow the memory controller to be able to access and load the now doubled slots. For 1066Mhz (PC8500Mhz) DRAM, you will very likely need to drop to 800Mhz with 4-4-4-12, set your DRAM voltage to 2.1V. and also might well have to raise the voltage on the Northbridge (MCP). Two slots populated will not cause this issue.

Think of it this way. If you have a small phone book, then when you go into the index to find the page where you will find the phone number you are doing so at a certain speed due to the pages of the Index. Then you have to drive through the pages to get to the number. Now if your index is twice as large and the pages twice as many, then it takes longer to access the data. Now DRAM has a Strobe and the length of the strobe is how long the rows and columns can be left open before they must be refreshed. There is not enough time for the dram to be refreshed and then accessed with 4GB at the full access speed of the DRAM. The chipsets are optimized for 2GB, not 4GB and for 2 DRAM slots, not 4 DRAM slots populated. You can overclock the FSB (and hence the Memory Controller Hub = MCH) to gain some extra bandwidth and thus access the capabilities of the DRAM since the chipset is now clocked up. Usually when you clock up the FSB and concurrently the Memory Controller Hub (MCH) you need to raise the voltages of the CPU/MCH a bit as well.

You will see that motherboard manufacturers state the maximums of DRAM and Speed, but they do not specify that the maximums of DRAM and speed are inclusive. Phone your motherboard's tech support and ask them if they support both the maximum speed of the board along with the maximum dram amount. The issue is not that the DRAM can't make that speed, it is that the on motherboard memory controller has issues when you try and make it access more than two banks and do so with the same speed as you did with one bank. If you carry a half-bucket of water, it will be less heavy than a full bucket. It will be harder to carry that full bucket. If you have two streets, one closer than the other, then it will take longer to reach the second street than the first street.

Thank you again DerekT for your response.

I have an update, but first lets discuss for a moment module configuration.

I do understand the logic that the MCH has to work harder. If I may ask, do you know if the individual modules in the Corsair 2 X 2GB kit TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX are double sided memory modules, also called dual rank if I remember correctly? Let me elaborate. If the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX modules are double sided, and if the two kits that I have (TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX) are single sided modules, then two of the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX modules would have the same number of actual DRAM chips as four single sided (single ranked?) modules that I have? Wouldn't that put some strain on the MCH as well? I hope I am making some sense here.

In other words if I went with the 2X2GB kit, I could run the voltages at default values? Thus the MCH would not have to work as hard and as a result it would generate less heat and increase the longevity of the motherboard and memory for that matter. Is this correct?

What you say makes sense DerekT, I am just not sure what I should do.

I still have the ability (for three more days) to RMA the 2 X 1GB TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX kits that I have and purchase the Corsair 2 X 2GB kit TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX.

Anyway, on to the update. I dropped to DDR3-1111 and booted from the memtest86 CD and ran two full passes with zero errors.

I also, for the fun of it:D:, ran two passes at DDR3-1333 with zero errors.

I do appreciate your assistance DerekT.

Thank you again DerekT for your response.

I have an update, but first lets discuss for a moment module configuration.

I do understand the logic that the MCH has to work harder. If I may ask, do you know if the individual modules in the Corsair 2 X 2GB kit TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX are double sided memory modules, also called dual rank if I remember correctly? Let me elaborate. If the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX modules are double sided, and if the two kits that I have (TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX) are single sided modules, then two of the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX modules would have the same number of actual DRAM chips as four single sided (single ranked?) modules that I have? Wouldn't that put some strain on the MCH as well? I hope I am making some sense here.

Somewhat. Yes, the MCH works harder on those modules. But it works even harder when there are four physical transferral setup lines, being setup lines for each physical slot.

In other words if I went with the 2X2GB kit, I could run the voltages at default values? Thus the MCH would not have to work as hard and as a result it would generate less heat and increase the longevity of the motherboard and memory for that matter. Is this correct?

It's not really the generation of heat. The issue is that DRAM works (as all component data transferal does) on harmonics. The sine wave. Data is transferred on the rise and fall of the sine wave. Where the system can mathematically deduce the point since the rise reaches an ultimate top and no higher so that point is static and predictable, as well as the fall for the same previously mentioned reason. The length of the sine is the strobe and the accessing/loading of data is tied to the strobe of the sine. If the strobe is open too short a time for the load, or closes before a full access is made, then the data is found to be corrupt and flushed for a new access. If the strobe is not long enough it can lead to corruption and error which memtest will show out or even complete non working of the data stream distribution system.

Sometimes this can be fixed by raising the voltage to the MCH and this is what causes more heat, but silicon can handle light raises with no issues other than, as you said, a small distribution of heat from the CMOS which radiates from the chip and the substrate to which the chip is connected. No big issue here as long as you don't go overboard.

What you say makes sense DerekT, I am just not sure what I should do.

I still have the ability (for three more days) to RMA the 2 X 1GB TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX kits that I have and purchase the Corsair 2 X 2GB kit TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX.

Anyway, on to the update. I dropped to DDR3-1111 and booted from the memtest86 CD and ran two full passes with zero errors.

I also, for the fun of it:D:, ran two passes at DDR3-1333 with zero errors.

If you are running DDR3-1333 with zero errors, then very likely you will be fine. Keep in mind, that you are under a lifetime warranty from Corsair and they will treat you very well if you do find issues.

I personally go with 2 modules, not four modules. Keep in mind that if you move to the 1600's you will need to overclock your system to get to that speed.

Edit:

After reading through your postings I am left a bit confused. You have 4 X 1024 of DDR3-1333? They pass with no problems with Memtest?

Edit:

After reading through your postings I am left a bit confused. You have 4 X 1024 of DDR3-1333? They pass with no problems with Memtest?

DerekT,

I am sorry for the confusion. I was trying to arrange the thoughts in my head in a way that would be understandable in this thread. Yes I currently have 4 X 1024 of DDR3-1333(TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX) with all four DIMM slots populated. Yes, memtest86 version 2.00 and 2.01 ran with two full passes yesterday with zero errors. I also ran this same test last weekend with four passes and it passes with zero errors.

I think I am going to, if I can, RMA the 2 kits of TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX and get 1 kit of TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX.

Two questions for you DerekT, if I may:

If I go with the 2X2GB (4GB total) kit of TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX, can I still run at the default SPD speed of DDR3-1333, because I really do not want to overclock? I believe the default SPD for these two modules are DDR3-1333.

Can I reset the motherboard back to the default values (which is AUTO for the P5E3 Deluxe WiFi) for the DRAM voltage, the FSB voltage, and the NB voltage, or should I leave them set to were I curently have them?

Thank you for your assistance DerekT

I think I am going to, if I can, RMA the 2 kits of TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX and get 1 kit of TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX.

You mean send back to the retailer? There is no RMA for working DRAM.

Two questions for you DerekT, if I may:

If I go with the 2X2GB (4GB total) kit of TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX, can I still run at the default SPD speed of DDR3-1333, because I really do not want to overclock? I believe the default SPD for these two modules are DDR3-1333.

If you move to 1600's you will have to overclock to reach their 1600C7 values.

Can I reset the motherboard back to the default values (which is AUTO for the P5E3 Deluxe WiFi) for the DRAM voltage, the FSB voltage, and the NB voltage, or should I leave them set to were I curently have them?

I would leave them as is. With four modules, you are at the lower end of voltages so you are pretty much good for the go. You're under a lifetime warranty and your DRAM/MCH are at low volts.

My advice? You are running nicely. Be happy. Don't overthink this.

Thank you for you reply DerekT,

You mean send back to the retailer? There is no RMA for working DRAM.

I was able to convince the retailer to accept an RMA. They are already on the was back to the retailer. I purchased the 2X2GB (4GB) TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX kit.

I would leave them as is. With four modules, you are at the lower end of voltages so you are pretty much good for the go. You're under a lifetime warranty and your DRAM/MCH are at low volts.

My advice? You are running nicely. Be happy. Don't overthink this.

I went with the 2X2GB kit because I want to run with the best stability I can get.

I personally go with 2 modules, not four modules.

I did much thinking about your statement and I completely agree with you, which is why I put forth the effort to send back the four 1GB modules and go with 2 X 2GB Corsair modules. They should arrive this Friday. I will post with results this weekend.

Thank you very for your assistance DerekT. I appreciate it.

You're very welcome. Let us know how it goes. I forsee a much simpler install :) By the way, RMA means Return to Manufacturer, not Return to Retailer. Corsair would not accept them, but retailers will as long as you return within their proscribed times. :) This is why I posted "You mean Send back to to Retailer"?

By the way, RMA means Return to Manufacturer, not Return to Retailer. Corsair would not accept them, but retailers will as long as you return within their proscribed times. :) This is why I posted "You mean Send back to to Retailer"?

DerekT, you are correct. I just made my proscribed time by sending them back to the Retailer where I bought them. Had to send them 2nd air though:mad:.

I will report back this weekend when I can install them:D:.

Thank you again!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi and thankyou very much for your first post in this thread!

I had the exact same problem with Asus P5E3 and TW3X4G1333C9DHX G mem, 4 gig - two sticks. Random lockups in Vista, dead USB etc etc. First i thought Vista was unstable/buggy (haven't used it before) so i tried XP 64-bit and even 32-bit XP just to make sure, but comp froze no matter what. Memtest86 3.3 and Burnintest worked just fine with no errors but with Orthos it could hang after 5-45 mins.

No cooling issue btw. I have some serious cooling in my comp.

Anyways... i was happy to see someone else with the same problem. (Doh!) Tried to setup my BIOS according to your post and it made.. well it worked better but it still froze from time to time so it made me wonder...

Then i checked the mem spec at Corsairs website and found out that it wants 1.70V at 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24. My BIOS autodetected it at 1.50V and your BIOS settings said 1.62V for DRAM. So that explains alot.

I set everything back at Auto in BIOS, except for some come ports and stuff i don't need enabled, and upped the DRAM voltage to 1.70. Voila! Problem gone! Comp works like a charm now. No lockups and ran Orthos for 24h! Been using my system a few days now since i changed the DRAM voltage and as i said, haven't froze once yet.

So to all you ppl out there with similiar problems, check the voltage spec for your mem!

/ fhol

I have just completed building a new system with the specs in my profile.

I think I might have fixed the instability in Vista Home Premium 64 bit Edition by increasing the DRAM voltage, FSB Termination voltage and NB voltage as described below but I would like to feedback from the knowledgeable experts.

I have set the BIOS to the following:

AI Overclock: Manual

CPU Ratio Control: Manual

CPU Ratio Setting: 9

FSB Strap to North bridge: 333MHz

FSB Frequency: 333 MHz

PCIE Frequency: AUTO

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333 MHz

Command Rate: 2T

DRAM Timings Control: Manual

CAS# Latency:___________9

RAS# to CAS# Delay:______9

RAS# Precharge:__________9

RAS# Activate to Precharge:24

DRAM Static Read Control: Auto

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage:__________Auto

CPU PLL Voltage:_______Auto

DRAM Voltage:_________1.62V

FSB Termination Voltage:_1.20V (NOTE:For 45nm Penryn CPU, BIOS AUTO Default is 1.10v)

North Bridge Voltage:____1.41V

C1E Support: Disabled

CPU TM Function: Disabled

All other settings not listed are Auto which is BIOS Default Default

The MB is an Asus P5E3 Delux WiFi with BIOS version 1001 (the latest) and board revision 1.03G.

Two 2GB kits (4 DDR3 DIMMS total) of Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX revision 3.1

Corsair 620HX power supply revision B2W

Vista 64 bit would just freeze randomly after about 30-60 minutes never lasting past 60 minutes without a lock-up. What is strange is that the USB keyboard and USB mouse would power down as if they were unplugged. The LED on the bottom the the mouse would turn off and the LED on the keyboard (Num Lock) would go out and I could not get the other keyboard LED's to come on. I moved the mouse and keyboard to different USB ports just as a troubleshooting measure.

As I stated above I was getting instability in Vista 64 bit, but after increasing the aforementioned voltages, it seems to be stable.

I ran memtext86 version 2.00 and 2.01 with four passes each and get zero errors. I also ran HCI Design MemTest 3.6 (from within Vista) with three passes and get zero errors.

I am running the DDR3 at DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) with four (4) DIMMs.

Is this a good combination of voltages to get the system stable?

Should I just return the two 2GB kits of TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX and get one kit of 4GB TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX?

I am running at stock speeds with no overclocking of the memory or CPU.

I want to run at stock DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) speed.

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

upped the DRAM voltage to 1.70. Voila! Problem gone! Comp works like a charm now. No lockups and ran Orthos for 24h! Been using my system a few days now since i changed the DRAM voltage and as i said, haven't froze once yet.

Thanks for the information :D:

fhol,

I am glad this thread was able to help you solve your issue. DerekT, RAM GUY and the rest of the Corsair support forum users are very helpful. I cannot say enough about them. :D:

Since I switched from four DDR3-1333 modulels to two DDR3-1333 modules my system is still rock solid and gaming is fast and furious.

I still have my DRAM voltage set a 1.62 volts. I could probably drop it to the default of 1.5 volts, but I am happy were it currently is, so I am not going to mess with it. :D: Others, as you did, might have to go a little higher, though YMMV.

Archived