Corsair Community

TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN won't run at 1800

akaluke

Hi All

I'm struggling a bit with my 2x1GB DDR3 1800 RAM.

Asus Maximus Extreme

Q6600

Antec Quattro 1000W

8800GT 1GB

I've had the FSB stable at 445 (RAM at 5:6, loose timings, Relax Level=8, CPU mult = x6). This actually seems to be the limit on this MB. FSB=450 isn't stable.

If I set the RAM to 2:1 (1780MHz) and leave the CPU multi at x6, Prime95 blend test fails within 5 minutes.

I'm trying to run the RAM at stock 2.0V and 7-7-7-20.

- AI Transaction Boost...this translates to TRD. I've tried TRD=6 (wishful thinking I guess) and the default TRD=7, both crash Prime95 within 5 minutes at 1780MHz.

Couple of questions...

- Any suggestions here? The best BIOS settings for this MB, CPU and RAM ?

- What's the max voltage I should put through the RAM, I'm hesitant to raise it too high?

- At what point does the RAM need to be RMAd?

Thanks in antici...pation.

Luke.

2.0V is high enough for that DRAM. I would advise no higher and you might wish to lower it to 1.9V since you are populating two DRAM Banks.

Have you set:

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.44v

North Bridge Voltage: 1.44v

Have you disabled:

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

2.0V is high enough for that DRAM. I would advise no higher and you might wish to lower it to 1.9V since you are populating two DRAM Banks.

Have you set:

FSB Termination Voltage: 1.44v

North Bridge Voltage: 1.44v

Have you disabled:

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

FSB Termination has been 1.54 (I found this from another site and it did seem to give me more stability at some stage, I can't remember when, but it did.It might have been when I was testing higher FSB speeds)

Northbridge at 1.65 (same reasons as above).

I think I might have pulled these values from the MB review on anandtech

I've never tried any RAM voltage under 2.0

I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
- What's the max voltage I should put through the RAM, I'm hesitant to raise it too high?

2.0 volts is as high as I would recommend going.

- At what point does the RAM need to be RMAd?

If the memory does not pass memtest at its tested settings (1800MHz, 2.0v, 7-7-7-20). Normally both modules are not going to fail at the same time, so I would recommend testing them individually. If both modules are failing individually at the same settings, then there may be something else holding you back.

FSB Termination has been 1.54

Northbridge at 1.65

I've never tried any RAM voltage under 2.0

I think that you like volting. It seems to me that you are overvolting the FSB Termination and Northbridge and since you have never tried DRAM voltage under 2.0, you have already overvolted the DRAM.

Those who overvolt like this will usually sooner rather than later find issues. Remember, those review sites do NOT keep the machines in terms of system longevity. They test them for short periods of time and then go on to other tests. They are not the best guides for what to do with your personal machine. Far better to find what is being done with the parts by people who actually own and have to pay for them.

Such as:

http://www.overclock.net

http://www.ocforums.com

http://www.xtremesystems.org

Parts, when overvolted show the electronic characteristics of being overvolted and lose their warranties due to user misuse of parts.

Archived