Corsair Community

upgrading memory / different speeds?

RichardInTN

These questions may have been posted before... somewhere, but after looking for hours, I haven't seen them. If they have would you point me to them?

My situation:

I ordered (and got) a Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core2Duo Quad Core processor ("kensington" if I read my invoice correctly), 1GB ram (DDR2-667/PC2-5300), Vista (32 bit) from their outlet (couldn't pass up the price... "previously ordered new") with the intention of boosting the memory to 4GB. Upon arrival, I popped the case open and found two 512MB sticks taking up (counting forward from the back of the case) the 1st and 3rd slots of the 4 available.

My questions:

What would be the best way to get to 4GB (according to Dell's website that particular system is available with memory at DDR2-667 & DDR2-800... and up to 4GB) Would it be better to replace the two 512's with two 2048's? or four 1024's (is there any benefit either way?)

and

Would there be a problem with using faster speed memory (like DDR2-800, DDR2-900, DDR2-1000) if there can be cost savings because of a clearance sale or rebate?

Why is that's the only option? when the "memory configurator" doesn't even list it as a possibility (for reference it doesn't list ANY 4GB)? I want to buy the memory as a "matched kit" so I don't have any possibility of "compatibility issues" between the sticks.

And what about faster speed memory? would it be ok (just, obviously, used at the max speed for the BUS)?

Why is that's the only option? when the "memory configurator" doesn't even list it as a possibility (for reference it doesn't list ANY 4GB)? I want to buy the memory as a "matched kit" so I don't have any possibility of "compatibility issues" between the sticks.

And what about faster speed memory? would it be ok (just, obviously, used at the max speed for the BUS)?

Those are the only compatible 1 GB sticks of memory, hence you'd need 4 of them. They don't have them in a QUAD matched kit. Corsair doesn't currently make memory that is compatible for your system AND faster than this.

Archived