Corsair Community

help with this please please

hi i have a e6600 running at 3.6ghz with pc2-6400 dominator on a abit aw9d motherboard, i am going to upgrade shortly to a e6850 and i want this baby overclocked to the max or about 4ghz, will i need new ram like the corsair pc-8500 to be able to get the best results or will the pc2-6400 do the job.

any help please guys

hi derek t

can i use pc2-8500 with the abit aw9d motherboard?

That board supports 800MHz DRAM. You can, on the overclock, reach the 1066Mhz though. Set to 800Mhz and overclock.

To find out the overclock values, use the ratio 333:800 as x/1066. Cross multiplication gives you a FSB of ~443MHz. If you can find stability, then the maximum multiplier of the 8400 is 9. 9 * 443 ~= 4.0Ghz. There are many more ratios you can play with but this is a good stable one. You will have to test to see what your maximum FSB is with that board though. It's all theoretical until you to the actual testing.

So this would give you 4.0Ghz on the CPU with 1066Mhz on the DRAM.

do you no what the max fsb is with this board m8

I've never worked with that board. The AW9D-Max I have found to hit just over 400Mhz, but that vanilla one might well not do it. That's an old board with a chipset that was not created for Core2 in mind. It performs admirably for it's time and the memory speed was blistering, again, for its time. But if you can make 400Mhz with a 9X multi of E6850, that's still 3.6Ghz. I don't believe that you can get anywhere near 4.0 with that board personally. If you are at 3.6Ghz with an E6600 I would not even make the move as you will not find much difference at all, other than a possible somewhat cooler running CPU.

i have dropped the multiplier down to 8 and fsb upto 435mhz and its completely stable would the e6850 at 9x435 be any good,

might be able to push to 440 or more with more voltage on the mch,

on the mch im at 1.65 do you think this is high already?

i have lots of active cooling in the case.

i have dropped the multiplier down to 8 and fsb upto 435mhz and its completely stable would the e6850 at 9x435 be any good,

might be able to push to 440 or more with more voltage on the mch,

on the mch im at 1.65 do you think this is high already?

i have lots of active cooling in the case.

That's a good board you have there. However, just because you have found the the 8 X 435 works does not mean that 9 X 435 will work as there is a fair difference in the streaming of 3.4GHz and 4.0Ghz. All you can do is test it out. However, making 8 X 435 fully stable bodes well for a good overclock at any rate.

i might buy one of those ASUS P5K-E you were on about,

whats the max fsb on that board and what clock speeds could i get that e6850 upto on that board

or what about the ds3r board

thanks

I have taken the P5K-E to 490 X 7 with full stability. This was without raising the FSB Termination voltage and a small Northbridge raise to 1.4v. I performed a pencil modification for the voltage droop as well. That was with an E6400. I then moved to an E6600 and ran 450 X 8 for ~ six months. I then moved to a P5K Premium Black Pearl and Q6600 also at 450 X 8 = 3.6Ghz. I'm waiting for the Q9650 to make the move to +4.0GHz.

I see more Gigabyte boards on return than the Asus, so I do not go with Gigabyte myself anymore. Considering ASUS sells far more than Gigabyte at NCIX, this leads me to keep away from them. I'm not saying that they are bad boards, but just that the return rate is higher. The highest return rate has always been 680i though.

People have taken the MCH on the i975 higher than 1.65v. They mod the boards and go quite a bit higher. They use Northbridge fan kits though. I strongly advise active cooling on that bridge even with 1.65.

so if i bought a p5k what sort of speeds could i get the e6850 upto and would i see any difference from my currrent e6600 at 3.6ghz

My advice would be to stick with the E6600 at 3.6Ghz. At that speed it becomes mostly a numbers game. Not many of the 975's made such a speed with stability. I migrate to new systems every three months or so because I want something to personally play with, not because I need the extra speed. All my gaming is pretty much locked to the speed of the video card now, not the CPU and I can convert a 4.3GB DVD to 700MB XVID AVI in ~12 minutes. I can be doing other things ie. playing music and surfing the net, helping here, etc. while I do that, so it's not as though I need any more speed or power. So, if you want something to play with, then why not. If you want to upgrade because your system is not fast enough (and I can't see that being the case) then why not. But if it suits your needs, and you aren't into the game of overclocking, then I suggest you stay there. It's already stable and you have no problems. Why take a chance on issues arising and they certainly can arise.

Good water cooling might bring you to 4.0Ghz with the E6850. Might not too. I know that 3.6Ghz seems rather easy on good air with those chips and that board but I have not w/c any of them.

Archived