Corsair Community

Twin2x2048-8500c5d & P35 Ds3p

PhoetuS

So here is the situation: I have just built myself a new system and am using the Gigabyte DS3P motherboard with the Dominator TWIN2X2048-8500C5D & a C2D E6750. No matter what i seem to do i get lots of errors in memtest86+ (v2.00).

I have tried loading optimized defaults, failsafe defaults and manually setting the timings 5-5-5-15 (at least the primary 4, haven't messed with the others yet). I have also tried testing each stick individually and manually setting the voltage. All this and i still get memtest86+ errors.

A couple of things to consider: This is the first C2D Intel machine i have assembled and tweaked. This is my first Gigabyte board (I am used to the Asus & DFI BIOS). This is my first real experience playing with and tweaking DDR2 Ram - (I am used to DDR1 so the timings seem huge, i understand why, but my perspective is still adjusting).

So keeping all those things in mind, i may just be making some really newb mistake, but i can't see it.

What is the likelyhood of both modules being faulty?

What are the exact timings i should enter in BIOS? (or should optimized defaults be good enough?)

Ok, so i have done a bit more testing and i'm not sure that the ram is the issue, when i run memtest on each stick individually, i consistantly get the same errors during the same part of the test. For instance no errors at all until test #3 @ 55%, then a bazillion errors, same thing with test 8, get the same errors for both separate sticks.

Now i am suspecting that the problem doesn't lie with the RAM, but maybe with the motherboard.

Any one else have an opinion on this?

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Also with this MB please make sure the Command Rate AKA Command Per Clock is set to 2t and if the setting "TRC is listed set it to 24 and test them again with the latest version of http://www.memtest.org.

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried disabling legacy USB and that didn't work and I don't have the options to change Command Rate or TRC.

Tomorrow i will flash the bios and see if anything changes.

I also have a Gigabyte P35 mobo. Did you add the +0.3 volts to the DDR2 OverVoltage Control? Try +0.2 also. If you are running stock it seems to be better to try this lower voltage.

Oh, and I know you are experienced, but don't forget the good old memory reseat.

I also have a Gigabyte P35 mobo. Did you add the +0.3 volts to the DDR2 OverVoltage Control? Try +0.2 also. If you are running stock it seems to be better to try this lower voltage.

Oh, and I know you are experienced, but don't forget the good old memory reseat.

I did try both of these to no avail, but I appreciate the gentle reminder ;):

If that does not solve the problem, you might try the Microsoft Memory test. Gigabyte has had issues with memtest from time to time.

I think you are correct here. I finally gave up and installed windows, installed the mobo drivers and checked all the RAM timings with memset & cpuz & everything looked good so i fired up prime95 and it ran for 6 hours (at 1066 default timings) before i stopped it . I also tested the ram at 700, 800, 850 900mhz and no errors with prime95. Obviously i can't trust memtest86.

I just downloaded the Microsoft Memory test, so i will run that just to make sure, but I am convinced everything is fine now.

Thanks everyone for all your help :D:

Archived