Corsair Community

This one doesn't fit either! arrrr

Aerixx

Hello. As some of you know, I just built this system. I'm trying to "iron out" the final kinks and they just seem to keep coming. I was hoping that some of the enthusiasts here might help me out with a cpu heatsink problem. Problem is, I can't find a high performance one that fits my motherboard/case configuration. It's a full tower Chieftec case with plenty of room... except exactly where I need it. Right above where the motherboard tray mounts there is a plate with holes in it for cables that divides the upper and lower halves of the case. This plate is unfortunately only about 1/4 of an inch above the top edge of the motherboard, so with the placement of the socket so close to the top of the mobo, any heatsink that overhangs the top by that much bumps into the plate and is uninstallable. I have all sorts of room straight across the case so heatsink height is not an issue, just the width and the amount it overhangs. I tried a Tuniq tower.... forget it. Then a Zalman 9700... close, but the mobo obstacles forced me to mount it only one way and the clip hit the plate that way... no go. (the MSI P6N has a large Nbridge HSF and a large radiator near the I/O ports) I think the place I order them from is gonna get ticked off if I keep sending them back to try another so I need some suggestions. I'll take anything that beats the stock Intel heatsink but it pretty much needs to have the same footprint as the stock one. I realize I may have to tone-down my overclocking plans, but I'm anxious to see what you guys come up with. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Here's a thread about this board on HardOCP. The second post (which I believe I linked to) has some information on HSFs that have been tried with it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030716080

Here's a guy using the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (with pictures)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030985212

The Ultima-90 is basically the same as the Ultra-120 Extreme except a little shorter, so that should work too.

Thanks for your reply and the link smithkt. That's a good thread! That Thermalright cooler shown in those pics still looks like it would overhang the top edge of the motherboard too much to fit in my case. And that guy said he even bent his to make it fit in his case. I've never attached a pic to a post before but it says I can, so I will try.

258275556_IMG_5869.thumb.jpg.f7b2054c3d684ac8bb7dcaf63913917f.jpg

Hi DerekT. The thought of selling that case and buying a new one crossed my mind, of course, but so far I've overspent a bit on my build and the case was never even a consideration. So for now I'd just like to see if I can find an appropriate cooler that fits. I mean something that looks roughly like the Intel stock cooler but is made of copper maybe with a stonger or adjustable fan would be perfect.... I'm gonna go rub a lamp.... lol!

Thanks for the info and links DerekT. I'm sure that heatsink would clear the board components but I think that 120mm fan might still hit that plate. Assuming that fan is centered on the socket, the fan would extend 60mm past center, plus the shroud, so maybe like 65mm or so. That's approaching 3 inches and I think too much. Just eyeballing it I'd say I have about 2 1/4 inches (57mm) at most (maybe more like 2" even) above center of socket. Thanks again... I welcome any and all suggestions. :):

• 2 weeks later...
I finally found a high-performance cooler that fits in my case!! It's a V-1 from TT. It's huge but it fits and it works like a charm! My temps at idle dropped from 34C to about 26C and I have yet to see it top 41C, even when loading all four cores! And it sure looks pretty next to those sticks of Corsair 1066 Dominators... I'll try to attach a pic below. Now I have the "thermal space" for overclocking but I'm worried about my PSU still. I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing a Corsair 620W PSU soon but I can't swing it right now. **Question is... is it possible to actually damage any PC components by experimenting with overclocking on a possibly under-powered PSU, or will it just not be stable?? I would love to try some OC'ing this weekend but I don't want to risk damaging anything. Thanks for any replies!!!

IMG_5882-a.thumb.jpg.640359ae01d0790ae62dee53094f0cd0.jpg

That's sure a tight fitting case. Whoever is designing these things certainly had not any enthusiasts in mind. Overclocking with a poor PSU certainly can cause physical damage even if it is not usual. Why would you do it? Is money that tight for you? If it is, I would personally wait. What make and model is the PSU?

Hi DerekT. This case is 4+ years old and was great for my PIII's and Athlon XP's but it definately didn't have today's heatsinks in the design. My present psu I bought only about 4 months ago as an upgrade to power a newly bought ATI X1950 Pro AGP card. I dont know if I'm supposed to say this brand since they also make memory and it gets X'd alot, but it rhymes with pushpin and is model #550200, a 550W unit with "rail-fusion". I did more in-depth research after I started putting this new system together and read some less than favorable reviews of it's capabilities. This psu powers 5- 80mm fans, 1- 92mm fan, 1- optical drive, 1- barracuda SATA hard drive, a Digital Doctor unit with an additional 40mm fan and LED display, not to mention the Q6600, GPU and Dominators. And the new 110mm fan on that monster heatsink. I have no problem waiting to replenish my funds after putting this PC together. I do not want to risk any damage to these parts so I will wait to OC. This PC replaced a AthlonXP 2500 OC'd to 2.2Ghz with that 1950 AGP card so I am very pleased with it even at stock speeds.

With that PSU and your hardware you should be able to clock the system up. I had thought you had a cheapo PSU but that one is no slouch. You have an 8800GTS 512, not an 1950 Pro now correct? Then you should be fine with an overclock and that system. With an overclock of ~3.6Ghz and that system you would be somewhere around 450Watts or so.

OK, that was not exactly a fun overclocking weekend. I had some "bad things" happen. Nothing major, terrible overclocking results, corrupt drives.... reinstall of Windows.... I have a serious feeling it's psu related. Everything is back up and running fine at stock speeds. But I think I will just sit quietly and wait til I get the new psu. :o:

I don't think you want to test high overclocks with that board. MSI is not known for good overclocking boards. Check the OC forums. There's a reason why very few people use them for Enthusiast boards.

http://www.xtremesystems.org

http://www.ocforums.com

http://www.overclock.net

So if I were you, I would look towards a more moderate overclock with that board. It might do well, but work the overclock slowly. Unlink the DRAM and set it to 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15, set the FSB to 400 and the CPU multiplier to 6. This will test the FSB of 400Mhz. Most of the 6808's have quite a few FSB walls that disallow ~350 - ~399 settings. If you get 400 X 6 = 2.4Ghz, then you know that 400Mhz will work. Either test with a higher FSB or begin to move the multiplier up. 400 X 7, 400 X 8. If you make 400 X 8 stable, then move to 405 X 8, 410 X 8. Etc....

Alright.... if someone, an "enthusiast", was buying a mobo within the next 5 days for a system based on a setup like mine, Q6600, etc..., and wanted to overclock that cpu on air to abit over 3Ghz... What board would you or anyone else recommend? (as you may have guessed... 400Mhz fsb won't work either. :[pouts:)

Before I jump off the deep end... Is there still the chance that my problems could be based on the psu being underpowered? The 550W unit was reviewed on Johnnyguru and it didn't do too well. One of the main things that makes me suspect is the readings I get for the 12V line on my Digital Doc readout. When the system boots, the gpu fan on the GTS starts full-blast for about 5 seconds... during which my 12V line drops to about 11.55 or 11.60. When the fan throttles back to 30% the 12V line raises back up to 11.90 or 11.85. Then while playing games it seems to vary between around 11.65 and 11.80. It just seems that any slight load instantly affects the 12V line. Maybe this is within spec, I don't know enough about PSU's to really say but I just get the feeling that it's a big part of my stability problems at anything over stock speeds. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

"Performance (weight of 40%) gets a 5. This power supply simply does little for me, outside of actually putting out 550W. Efficiency could be better, there's no power factor correction, and the performance decreased significantly when temperatures were increased. The crossload shows that a computer with a minimal load on the 3.3V and/or 5V rails is going to wreak havoc on the 12V rails and the excessive ripple on the 12V line makes me contemplate potential long term effects on peripherals."

Doesn't sound too promising. :sigh!:

"Performance (weight of 40%) gets a 5. This power supply simply does little for me, outside of actually putting out 550W. Efficiency could be better, there's no power factor correction, and the performance decreased significantly when temperatures were increased. The crossload shows that a computer with a minimal load on the 3.3V and/or 5V rails is going to wreak havoc on the 12V rails and the excessive ripple on the 12V line makes me contemplate potential long term effects on peripherals."

Doesn't sound too promising. :sigh!:

I agree, and I would upgrade to a better PSU regardless, so you may wish to test your possibility. Purchase a higher quaility PSU such as the HX620 and retry the overclock.

Archived