Corsair Community

Sis655tx/twinx1024-3200llpt?

I'm not having much luck getting my TWINX1024-3200LLPT to run as it should on my rig. I have the Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe (655TX chipset). Is there any good reason for memory benches to show lower performance in dual channel mode? This chip is supposed to be a great performer, but it seems I'm lacking somewhere. Is my 2.26 GHz cpu, (133MHz fsb), a bottleneck here? Should I try lowering the ram clock to 333MHz and OC the FSB? I have a very good cooler on the cpu, so heat is not an issue there, but the 655TX Northbridge seems to get a little too warm for my liking. Any suggestions, or experiences from those who actually know this chip are greatly appreciated! :):

This ram seems to be having a very hard time. I've already sent in one defective pair, (one stick only reported 264 Mb), and the replacements will NOT boot at the advertised 2-3-2-6-1Tcmd timings. The closest i can get is 2-3-2-6-2T, and this is only obtainable in single channel mode. This is at stock clock speed and voltage, with bios parameters set for "normal" usage. I was very pleased in the past with Corsair memory purchases, but this one has left a very bad taste in my mouth. It seems like a large number of folks are having issues with this ram, so I'm a little worried I've made a huge mistake with this purchase. Since this has turned into more of a support issue, than an enthusiast's comment, please feel free to move it to the appropriate thread if you wish. Little help please?

Update: The rig will boot at 2-3-2-6-1Tcmd with the ram clock de-tuned to 166Mhz (333ddr). Is the FSB of the cpu, (133Mhz), a problem with trying to run the ram at 200Mhz? I thought Intel cpu's liked ram to be run asynchronously? My last rig was running at 133Mhz with ram at 166Mhz, and it seemed to thrive with those settings. Is the difference just too great from 133-200Mhz? Is that why the machine fails to boot with ram at 1Tcmd when the ram is running at 200Mhz? All I want is a little guidance here, since I seem to be a guinea pig on this chip set. :o:

• 2 months later...
I now have a 2.8E cpu and all is well, other than the fact that mem still won't run at 1T command. All other settings are at their recommended values, so I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the SIS Northbridge? Now that I've almost got this rig squared away, it's already time to upgrade! :[pouts: Actually, I believe I'll wait for second generation pci-x and sata before building again.

Archived