Corsair Community

Max volt on corsair value twinmatched

I'm not RamGuy, and I'm not trying to be an antagonist (really!) :D: Here's a couple way to answer your question... If stock voltages are 2.6v, and they recommend 2.7v, but you're already running at 2.8v (max warranted)... and 2.9v is 3.6% more than 2.8v.... Then if you run your car at it's max-warranted limit of redline (let's say 6000 rpm for grins), is pushing the revs to 6200 relatively safe? Ok bad analogy since you never really run your car at 6200 all the time... but you get the point. What does "relatively safe" mean? Relative to what? Does relative mean your memory will last at 2.9v "forever until you upgrade your RAM for other reasons"? How long is that? How does Corsair know? If I remember my semiconductor reliability training correctly (been a few years) MTBF vs. voltage will drop off pretty quick above a certain limit, since heat generation (temperature) is proportional to voltage, and reliabilty drops exponentially as temperature increases... so MTBF drops exponentially as voltage increases. Corsair has (probably) established the warranty maximum through testing, and possibly some actuarial warranty analysis. The limit is set for engineering and business reasons. They want to sell you the best, highest-performing RAM out there (and they do IMO), but they also don't want to go broke sending you warranty-replacement after warranty-replacement because you're burning them up at 2.9v. So my answer is "NO, it's not relatively safe." :sunglasse

Thanks. I suppose you're right. But I'm still very tempted to run 2.9 so I can get some extra MHz out of them. But is it worth it is the question. ^___^. I know that heat causes exponential drop in MTBF. So one last question. Let's say I want my memory to last for 2 years. Will that be ok? And if I cool it sufficiently can I make my memory last longer? Thanks a lot for your help Gunkk.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='red_dragon']Thanks. I suppose you're right. But I'm still very tempted to run 2.9 so I can get some extra MHz out of them. But is it worth it is the question. ^___^. I know that heat causes exponential drop in MTBF. So one last question. Let's say I want my memory to last for 2 years. Will that be ok? And if I cool it sufficiently can I make my memory last longer? Thanks a lot for your help Gunkk.[/QUOTE] id say 2.9 is safe with adequate air flow and some type of heat sinkage on em. this will void your warranty though. if you feel your ram at load running at 2.9, it will be quite cool. you can place a fan above your ram if you are worried, if u do decide to give it .1 more in volts.

Archived