Corsair Community

P5N-E SLI with 8GB - 4 x CM2X2048-C6400C5

fdesroches

Hello

Just bought P5N-E SLI and 2 pairs of 2 sticks (CM2X2048-C6400C5) ver. 3.1

With 2 sticks (4 GB) everything is fine.

With 4 sticks (8 GB), random crash, sometimes after POST, or during xp64 installation...

Tested each module seperately with memtest, saw no issue...

Do I have to change the memory timings or voltage?

Thx

Fred

I increased voltage and redcued memory speed to 667MHz and everything seems to be fine at 8GB !!

thanks!

Fred

Awesome, just make sure your NB has LOTS of airflow on it. When I had that board, I upgraded the cooling on the NB as that stock sink leaves a lot to be desired.

Just curious, did you try 667 at stock NB voltage or, was the bump to 1.39v or 1.56v necessary to get it stable?

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump something so old, but this thread is very relevant to my issues. So I finally (dear god finally) got my computer to start up with 8GB Corsair Memory (the one in the title) and a new quad core 2.83ghz cpu. At first I could put in only 6gb(4 sticks) of ram OR the new cpu. Nothing was working right. Finally after much google-fu I started messing with RAM voltage and the FSB. I lower my FSB to 677 and my voltage I upped to 2.08 I believe.

This works great with 8gb ram and the new cpu, however, whenever I shut down it won't start up unless I reset it during the first startup. Hope that makes sense. The bios tells me that it detected problems during startup and asks if I want to reset to manufacture default. I just hit f1 and it continues and honestly Vista 64 works fine. It just bothers me that I have to go through these hoops to restart my computer. Anyone know a fix? Oh, I also messed with NB voltage (1.3 and 1.5) and tried CPU voltage offset. Both of those setting would not allow my system to even make it to the boot screen.

I'm so not amused with this MB (Asus P5N-e SLI) that I'm this --> <-- close to chucking the whole system in the garbage and just ordering something new with all the stuff I want already installed. No you can't have my stuff :):

Did you try and load setup defaults or reset the BIOS with the CLRTC Jumper and load setup defaults and then set the tested settings and test the system with http://www.memtest.org?

But remember with 4 modules DDR667 would be suggested.

Yes I did reset BIOS with the CLRTC Jumper. Not sure how to do memtest without a floppy though...

edit: Should I just buy a new Mobo? What would be guaranteed to work with the cpu and ram I have? Oh, and thanks for the help guys! Faster replies than I thought I would get.

Yes I did reset BIOS with the CLRTC Jumper. Not sure how to do memtest without a floppy though...

edit: Should I just buy a new Mobo? What would be guaranteed to work with the cpu and ram I have? Oh, and thanks for the help guys! Faster replies than I thought I would get.

You can do it with a CD or a bootable flash drive.

Also check your NB heat sink and see if it is getting really hot during your heavy usages.

• 3 weeks later...
ok sorry to bump this again, but I was very busy at work for a while. Anyways I tested my memory with memtest and it all came out ok. I'm lost at this point. Is it the mobo? I could not actually find my processor in the official list of supported processors (q9550), however the mobo states that it will run socket 755 processors.

• Corsair Employee

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And you can down load the ISO image and burn it to CD and just boot to CD to test the memory.

Archived