Corsair Community

Dell Dimension 8300 and XMS pc3200 dual channel 400mhz DDr SDRAM

xcav

Hello. First time here, and in need of some help. First off I am not a wiz with the inside of my cpu. Especially with all the new things out there. I just purchased a Dell Dimension 8300, 2.8 Ghz with HT technology, 800mhz FSB, 512 Mb Dual Channel 400mhz DDR SDRAM and a Geforce FX 128mb video card. Hope I got it all. I online game (EverQuest). People I have talked to in game say I sould upgrade to Two 512mb chips. Specificly they said Corsair XMS PC3200 chips. Now the Question. Which chips will work in my system the best, without having to make changes in my system. Which I would have NO clue how to do. I have read where some have changed the Lats settings for stability, which was greek to me. Also with the XMS chips, can I move the Two 256mb chips that came with the system into the other 2 slots after installing the new Corsairs, or am I asking for trouble? Any help with this will be GREATLY APPRECIATED Thank You Comp Newbie

• Corsair Employees
There are a few choices, Twinx1024-3200 or VS1GBKITMB400 either one will run great in this system. With the first choice being close to the modules you have now, you might be able to mix them with what came with your system. In addition, our Value select would be a bit faster concerning timings, Cass 2.5-3-3-8! Verses Cass 3-3-3-8, however XMS memory would be a bit faster even with the slower timings, because of the IC's used! Both modules would be a great choice and would be suggested!

• Corsair Employees
Yes! That's correct, however this might help with this question! C2 = Cass 2-3-3-6 LL = Cass 2-3-2-6 PT = Platinum Heat Spreader Pro = Activity LED's R = Registered RE = Registered with ECC With nothing after the part# that would be a standard Black Heat spreader.

Archived