Corsair Community

HX 520W up side down?

Roca_05

Hi I currently have an HX 520W PSU and I was wondering if I could put it in a case like the Antec 900. On it, the PSU goes in the bottom and I was wondering if I could flip the PSU and put it so that the fan sucks air from above and to the outside (instead of from the bottom to the outside since this wouldn't make any sense) Can I do this or will the PSU get damaged if I did this? Thanks

• Corsair Employees
The PSU is not designed to cool down your system. It is only designed to keep itself cool. Most of the hot air in the system will be rising and it would be unlikely that even having the PSU upside down would make a significant impact on the overall temperature in the system, however you may install it any way you like!

I believe what the OP means is with the PSU "rightside up" the 120mm intake is flush against the bottom of the case and it would really have no where to suck air into the PSU.

Correct, what he's asking to do is this:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1881/antec900mo7.jpg

• Corsair Employees

If the PSU sits flush against the bottom of the case and there is no vent underneath it, then definitely install is upside-down. However if there is space underneath the PSU, then it's probably not necessary.

Also, heres a tip:

Run the 8/4-pin and 24-pin connectors underneath the motherboard, and then loop it around and plug it into the board. This will help clean up the case a little bit and help with some cable management. We do this on all of our show systems! However, you may need to have the PSU installed right-side up in order to have enough slack on the cables to do this.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, PSUs always do this (even if the fan is located at the back or the bottom), as pulling air in through the back of the PSU would exhaust hot air into the case (the hot air coming from the PSU) and that would increase temperatures. A long time ago I accidentally mounted a replacement fan in a PSU the wrong way, and that didn't work very well. The inside of the case became too hot very fast.

If you don't want to mount it upside down, you could always cut a large hole or drill several small holes in the floor of the case. Then, mount the PSU with the fan facing down and then the fan will suck in cool air from the outside of the case. I'm a bit surprised that there is not a vent under there anyway.

Archived