Corsair Community

twitchy memory

ggruber

This is the first computer I have built in a few years and am amazed how twitchy parts have become from the perspective of compatability. I did quite a bit of research before making my purchases but still managed to purchase memory that was incompatible with my motherboard (recommended by Dell), and I am curious as to why this happened.

The motherboard is an ASUS M2n-SLI Deluxe. I purchased 4 gigs of Corsair 6400C5DHX memory and immediately upon boot up i got the 1 long 2 short beep sequence. Research seemed to indicate a video card problem, so even though i knew my original card was compatible, i went out and purchased another brand to verify.

same beep sequence. I began to suspect the ram, and after trying each chip alone, in pairs, and in different slots, i found this forum and saw that i should have purchased the C4DHX memory instead of the C5DHX.

what is so different about these products that would account for the incompatibility?

i now have to wind my wasy through the wonderful world of RMAs and repurchases. I'm sure by the time i get it sorted out i will have a fine machine, but it appears to be getting much harder to assemble a computer than it was just a few years ago. BTW, I have been building them for about 20 years now.

Archived