Corsair Community

Filling the nautilus waterblock before mounting it?

Medieval Nerd

Hi everyone,

I'm about to mount my nautilus. I've read some review sites that suggest filling/bleeding the system before having it mounted on your system. The main reason is for leaks, which does not seem to be an issue with the Nautilus. But the other reason is apparently it can be dangerous for your CPU? since the tubes are empty,and for the time for liquid to start flowing?

I've tought about simply installing the nautilus tubing through my pc, but not putting the water block on my cpu, and leave my stock cooler on. Then I could start my system and the pump would work, and I'd still have my air cooler on. I know that someone suggested using a small wire to jump your ATX connector but I really don't feel comfortable with that. I've seen some adapters that do this, but no computer store in my vecinity has this :(.

Aniways, anyone here has installed their nautilus and just plugging and starting everything dry?

Thanks in advance.

You DO NOT want to run the unit without fluid.

Set everything up as tho your CPU was installed. Run your tubing thru the case and so on but just let the block hang unmounted. Unplug your power to the mobo, jumper the 24 pin connector (Google it) and then fill the tank, plug your N500 in, jog the pump, fill again and so on til you have enough fluid to run and do a leak test.

If all is well, mount the CPU block. If careful and some planning, there is no need to drain the system to mount the block.

Well my point exactly. The manual does not mention having to rig your ATX power connector. They simply say plug it all up, fill it up and start up your engines! (so to speak ;))

My concern is that on some forums I heard that doing so could potentially damage your CPU since for a period of time it will not be cooled? Or the air inside the heatsink will take a bit of time to clear. Whatever the reasons...

I'm just wondering why the manual does not mention this?

• Corsair Employee
As long as you have filled the Nautilus with the coolant/water mixture, the unit should start circulating the water as soon as you turn on the system and there is no risk of damaging your CPU. I am not quite sure I understand why you would be jumping any ATX connectors in order to get the unit to work, or even test the unit. If you are testing it, just use a spare molex connector from your power supply to power the unit, and when you turn on your system the Nautilus will start up. Just don't start it up without water in it, as this can damage the pump!

The ATX jumper thing is apparently done so that there is no electrical current circulating through your mobo, so if theres a leak during test it's not really much of a problem. Aniways, i'll be simply doing as the manual suggests plugging the whole thing filling the reservoir and top with distilled water! =D

But I still have to wait for my damn Lexa Blackline Case. Apprarently NZXT (the company who makes them) don't keep them in stock, so they have to be made per order... :( I ordered it on the 10th of December. Jesus it's been a month! (Well almost)

Aniway that second part has nothing to do with you guys, so i'll spare the drama.

• 2 months later...
As long as you have filled the Nautilus with the coolant/water mixture, the unit should start circulating the water as soon as you turn on the system and there is no risk of damaging your CPU.

Not in my case. I installed the N500 strictly according to the instructions and when I turned it on the water didn't circulate. I turned it off quickly, tried to get some air out of the tubing and tried again....still no go.

Eventually I hooked the power up to a spare power connector on my old PC and after a lot of messing around (including turning the unit on its side and/or blowing through the tubing!!!) I managed to get enough of the air out of the tubing for the thing to start.

I think the possibility of water not circulating after an initial install should be mentioned in the instructions; along with the importance of getting as much air out of the system as possible before turning it on for the first time.

Archived